An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

That is funny! At my parish we have a line of chair set up for people who are waiting for confession. It simplifies a lot of things!

We do the chairs thing at my home parish too...though people sit in random ones and then it gets all confused.  I envy your simplified method where everyone actually follows common sense! :P  Oh, funny thing I don't remember if I posted; when coming back to school, a little old lady was fussing over me, "Now honey, you leave early, the snow's starting this afternoon and you need to get back safely!"  I thanked her, but inwardly it was just so hilarious and cute. 

Sooooo I heard this talk. And it blew. My mind. You can listen to the whole thing online. It's radically changed the way I look at confession -- though I think the other big key is finding the right priest, someone that makes you feel secure.

http://www.catholicity.com/cds/healing.html

I float around to various parishes now from week to week. Now that Mom-Mom's gone, I really don't need to be on that end of town anymore. I go occasionally out of a sense of obligation -- we are not getting married there, but Monsignor is still handling paperwork with the parish near Rowan, so.

I've been enjoying going to the parish where my family grew up. Their vicar is a 60something rough-and-tumble Italian guy, and I love him to bits. Nothing shocks him, and he treats me right. Add that a friend from high school goes there (someone to sit with FINALLY!!!!), and I'm almost feeling at home. 

Missy, I'll have to download it back in the apartment tonight or tomorrow, for some reason the thing isn't letting me listen right now online. :(   And I'd agree to finding a priest who makes you feel secure; Fr. S. here at school or Fr. C. back home both make me feel that way, but my Confession gets really jumbled and awkward with priests who seem to stare right through you, or act like they have better things to do with their time than engage in the Sacrament.  (Or in one case, I actually didn't go to Confession with a visiting priest because of the vibe I got off of him...I know that sounds stupid, but I was filled with fear to be alone in the same room as the guy.)

No more renamed Izzies? That's kinda sad, since it's where you sorta grew up with CCD and all, even if it did take something like 20 years for Monsignor to remember your name.  He does actually remember your name now, since he's doing part of the paperwork for the wedding, right? :P  Sounds like a nice vicar, and nice that you have someone to sit with!  It's something that I think a lot of people may not think about, who go with family, but as someone else who always sits alone, I can understand the simple joy in that.  It's good that you've found a place where you starting to feel at home!  Though if they reassign your newest Confessor on you, you need to go punch Bishop G.'s replacement for continuing the trend.

This reminds me I need to find a good regular confessor. Hopefully the parish for the area I am moving to will have a good one.

This reminds me I need to find a good regular confessor. Hopefully the parish for the area I am moving to will have a good one.

I hope you manage to find one!  Is there only one parish in the area, or can you maybe look around?  For me, it's always been fortunate that there's around 2-3 parishes to look at.

160 Syllabi printed off, stapled, and ready for the week after this coming one.

First wave of "Please let me in your classes..." sent out.  1 very pleasant reply about loving to help, and 1 "I don't want to waste class time".

Going back to the apartment and then need to write back to some PMs.

The Post Office just called about my 'delivered, but nowhere to be seen' package from Friday, "Well the carrier specifically remembers leaving it on your porch as always."

"I don't have a porch."

"...oh."

"But it was there this morning suddenly. So I guess whoever it was misdelivered to, delivered it."

"...oh. Good. Bye."

Yup!  This is why I usually ship to the office; all the mail for the university is dropped off by the truckload at our central area, where the university workers then sort by department.  1 in 3 packages to my apartment since moving there have been "delivered" and taken days later to really show up at my door.  That's happened with 0 packages shipped to the office. :P

Random Sad Thought:  The first March for Life I ever attend will be after I retire or when I'm on Sabbatical one day over a decade in the future.  It's always at the beginning of the semester, no matter where I end up.  For instance, this year is my first day of classes. :(

Edit:  Random Happy Thought:  It sure is warm in here...that's weird.  It's always cold in this office.  What's the thermostat say?  70.5? THEY FIXED MY OFFICE HEAT! THEY FIXED MY OFFICE HEAT!!! WOOT!!

Yay for office heat!

I remember my freshman year they couldn't figure out how to turn the heat on for our dorm so I ended up spending a ton of time in the Physics lounge area where they had a couch and heat.

Yus.  Or as we say about our public transit system... you know they have heat, because they turn it on when it is warm.  You know they have airconditioning... because.. BRRRRR!

TheresaThoma, that's awful!  Well, except for getting extra study time in at the Physics lounge I guess. :)

AL, haha, hopefully not...wouldn't want the heat to come at the expensive of the a/c.

Truthfinder, your office doesn't sound fun... :(

When I was still working for City College, they put me in a 'fancy' new building at one end of the City.   Theoretically it had heat, but we KNOW they had air conditioning.  The vent was aimed square at the back of my neck, and I thought I would turn into a pillar of ice!   Finally I went out and bought a REALLY HEAVY DUTY sweatshirt with a hood.  Ended up working with my sweatsuit and hood all the time.. and soon we were all 'habited' in hoodies.

At that point I learned, first hand, why monks had developed hoods on their robes; whatever the usefulness as a way of focusing prayer... it also keeps one SUPER WARM in a cold, drafty building!  I have a feeling that is why the choir mantles/long-sleeved cowls, etc. were developed. OH yes, it just makes sense now.....