An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

Truthfinder, your office doesn't sound fun... :(

I really like my office. It's only un-fun when I forget to layer my clothes, and bring a sweater

Could be like my office, sub arctic temperatures year around. :p In the summer they crank the air conditioning up really high and in the winter, well in theory we have heat but I don't think they turn it on that high. :p Plus my new desk is right next to the door by the smoke shack, so all the smokers go out of it to smoke. I never realized how many smokers we have, seems someone is going out every few minutes and I get hit by a gust of cold air every time they open that door. :p

Oh Ploof!!!!  THAT sounds horrible!

Back in the 1980's it wasn't illegal to smoke inside.   I worked for one of the big law firms in an office tower.  We had a bunch of partners who not only liked to smoke, but liked to smoke CIGARS!!!!!!   :shutup: And the would insist on leaving their doors open to the hall where the pooor secretarial and word processing staff (i.e., ME) had to sit and work! :shock:  And we had no windows!  (well, neither did the partners, but they were the ones doing the smoking....)  They couldn't figure out why we were so upset with them! :frank:

Is there any way of at least putting up a screen so you don't get hit with the blast of cold air and smoke?

AL, that's funny!  And perhaps a really good insight into why the habits developed the way they did for the monastic orders.  I'd not thought about drafty places, but when you're not living in high tech environments, don't really have much in the way of windows, etc. it makes a lot of sense.  I agree with TheresaThoma, coolness and practicality!

Truthfinder, yay for liking your office!  Though sorry for the days you forget layering and a sweater.  One of the faculty was just in mine, enjoying the view of students struggling to stand on the icey sidewalks.

Ploomf, so sorry. :(  The gust of cold air from the smokers doesn't sound like fun at all, especially in a perpetually chilly environment!  Does their smoke smell come in as well?

Sorry to not be around much everyone.  I've spent the week running around like a chicken with my head cut off; trying to organize and reorganize and organize some more with dissertation stuff (and went to Winterjam and quite literally nearly ended up in the median after winterjam when a snowplow came within a foot of ramming me offroad).  IT finally updated some of the stuff I requested on the computer in the office...SPSS and NVivo, my two main research programs are no longer out of date.  However, IT unilaterally decided to delete my Chrome and the cached data from it while doing the remote update, including stuff that was bookmarked for my classes.  Also they didn't fix my computer being unable to print to the networked printers.  And they didn't install another program I need for conference. 

PMs hopefully coming soon!

Yeah, we do have a cubicle wall there but all that seems to happen is the gust of cold air goes up over the wall and right down my shirt. :p We don't get the cigarette smell though, the smoking shack is on the other side of the parking lot. Sometimes someone will light up right outside the door, then I get to go out and give them my mean supervisor look. ;)

At least that is one blessing that you don't have to deal with them smoking right there. Still the icy cold blast has to be horrible.

We saw that while we were praying out here on the West Coast... and prayed for you & them.  If it is tomorrow, the prayers are already sitting on the phone line, reminicent of one of my FAVORITE internet videos...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiyD26cJ2A[/media]

Your phone call will NOT have anywhere near as much static on the line!

LOL.  That video was great and thank you all so much for the prayers.  I was nervous and I fear it showed...heh.  However, I was agreeable and I believe gave strong answers to the questions.  I made them laugh a few times.  And I think they were probing about on campus or not, not sure, by mentioning salary starting out, saying that they knew it was a bit low, but it was good for the area...I think it was to gauge my reaction.  I told them it seemed fair to me, having lived in WV before, given the cost of living.

Actually California is one place I wasn't applying!  Sorry, but when you all began to pay your public employees with IOUs at one point last year, I went "....nope." :P

Happy to have that humorous moment there, because the first issue of the school paper is out for Spring.  The first thing I did was empty out the inserts, like the apartment rentals for Fall, textbook rentals, and the one that surprised me...the abortion clinic.  Well, they don't say they're an abortion clinic per se, but I think so, by reading between the lines.  "You didn't meant to get PREGNANT. NOW WHAT?  NOW THERE'S HELP IN [town]!"  Oh you mean that the pro-life crisis pregnancy clinic that didn't charge any money for anyone using their services and provided help, support, ultrasounds, pre-natal care, etc. wasn't help already? 

"Find some answers before you make a decision....Free and Confidential Services:  Pregnancy testing

Medical pregnancy verification

Abortion education

Community referrals

Post-abortion support

Sexual health and relationship education

Additional medical services"

Also part of the clinic name is "Choice" and it says that it "understands you".

State of the Union is on.  Lost count of Obama's lies somewhere between "more teens are graduating than in the past 30 years" and "companies are going to be insourcing thousands of jobs".

Edit:  oh a person covered 2 classes today, from the cohort behind me.  When she saw me she said she had no clue how I do 4 a day, plus hold office hours, because she needs a nap lol.  "Well I felt like a nap for about a semester of it..."

Yeah, I think they all talk happy words but at the end of the day they are just out for the cha ching.

I need to go look up the full address because I only caught the last 20mins or so because I was at class.

Edited by CrossCuT