An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

I have Church PTSD...actually, I have Life PTSD... :smile3:

I took it to Confession because I know I'm not s'posed to bear anger toward those good folks who weren't even my enemies but the people that cared enough about me to establish a Christian foundation for me. The priest said that I needed to be praying for specific pastors or congregants that came to mind because it will help me to heal and love.

BG I like the post about Church PTSD. Pretty much spot on!

Thanks!  Sorry if it dredged up any bad memories though...

I have Church PTSD...actually, I have Life PTSD... :smile3:

I took it to Confession because I know I'm not s'posed to bear anger toward those good folks who weren't even my enemies but the people that cared enough about me to establish a Christian foundation for me. The priest said that I needed to be praying for specific pastors or congregants that came to mind because it will help me to heal and love.

Sorry to hear that :(  Amazing advice from the priest though, and as awful a confession (little c) as it sounds, I actually never thought of that before.  The praying for them thing!  But it is a great piece of advice. :)

TheresaThoma

Didn't dredge up any bad memories from me but I have heard similar stories from being part of an RCIA program.

I think one of the many reasons why people leave any faith is they don't get their questions answered or feel like they can't ask questions in the first place.

Also I hadn't heard of the Society of St Pius V until I moved to Ohio and was looking for a Latin Mass to go to. Fortunately I did my research first as well. I ended up finding a diocesan priest who celebrates the EF. I would love to find a FSSP parish though. I would attend the FSSP parish back home every now and again and I loved it. 

Started looking at Catholic Churches in the town of one place I really hope calls me back.  I was amazed to see that one offers a Latin Mass.  Googled the group that runs it and how about nope.  Turns out they splintered from the SSPX because the SSPX was too modernist.

To quote EWTN:

Don't you hate it when that happens? "Ooh look, a nice Catholic Chur...." *stares at computer screen, not knowing whether to laugh or cry*

Didn't dredge up any bad memories from me but I have heard similar stories from being part of an RCIA program.

I think one of the many reasons why people leave any faith is they don't get their questions answered or feel like they can't ask questions in the first place.

Also I hadn't heard of the Society of St Pius V until I moved to Ohio and was looking for a Latin Mass to go to. Fortunately I did my research first as well. I ended up finding a diocesan priest who celebrates the EF. I would love to find a FSSP parish though. I would attend the FSSP parish back home every now and again and I loved it. 

Oh glad not to dredge up bad memories.  And I think I agree with you that not getting answers leads to leaving.  Sad to hear how common it is in the RCIA program you help with though.  And glad you did your research too with the SSPVs!!  I've never been fortunate enough to find an FSSP parish anywhere I've lived, though everyone says they're amazing!  Glad to hear you'd recommend them as well.

Don't you hate it when that happens? "Ooh look, a nice Catholic Chur...." *stares at computer screen, not knowing whether to laugh or cry*

Oh goodness yes!  Sort of like in Lynchburg; went to Mass at a place with the same name as my parish and I lost count of the liturgical abuses in under 5 minutes because I was into double digits... :P 

I know a lot of you folks like video games and keeping track of stuff you have to do each day. Katie and I found this cool one called HabitRPG which we are playing. I suspect BG and AnneLine might like to play with us too. :)

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/130917-arfink-thread-of-randomness-mkiii/?p=2661439

Oooh that sounds fun!  I'll have to look when I'm back in PA with a good net connection on Wednesday evening.  At my parents, with a slow connection this weekend... x.x  But tomorrow is my interview from 8:30 to 5:00 or so (Provost, Dean, Campus Tour, Open Slot, Teach a Class, Dinner with Committee at upscale restaurant.)  Then Tuesday, also excited to be meeting up with someone in another town before I head back. 

I've gone through the teaching presentation twice now...with interruptions both times.  First time, mom's cell rang.  Second time, dad woke up from his nap, came and belched, made himself a drink and a sandwich, and just generally was a jerk as I tried to continue.  It's ready...just need to do a good job (and not get snowed out...it's snowing heavily again).

TheresaThoma

BG you will rock this. Especially since you have already figured out how to deal with interruptions! I'll be praying for you tomorrow.

Also the RPG game is highly addictive!

Thanks TheresaThoma, here's hoping!  Really need a job and they'd be a good fit as a start (it's a 1 year position).  And true, hopefully on the interruptions.  With dad I just sort of laughed and I really do appreciate the prayers!  It's wonderful to know just how many folks both online and offline are praying about it. :)

Oh, Arfink has snared you as well with the HabitRPG?  The screenshot he posted looks pretty interesting.  I originally thought, before looking at it, that it was habit as in a nun's habit, not habit as in behavior.

Good luck, Phil.

Ironically, the kids from Stony Brook (minus Brian) are nearby you this week -- they're serving at Nazareth Farms for spring break.

Edited by MissyP89

Yeah...I had a reminder set for Cosmos, since I'm here with the parents for my interview tomorrow (no need to pay for a hotel & I get to see them). Thought it would be nice for dad and I to watch, like we used to do Nova and Nature documentaries when I was a kid. Apparently times have changed; he grunted at Cosmos, then turned it to some reality TV show about WWE Divas, and now keeps switching between it, "Hardcore Pawn", and "Naked and Afraid".

Good luck, Phil.

Ironically, the kids from Stony Brook (minus Brian) are nearby you this week -- they're serving at Nazareth Farms for spring break.

Thanks Missy!  And that is kinda funny; Salem is only about 20 minutes south of my parents' house.  It's truly a poor, impoverished, and rural area.  Though it's in the same county, it's worlds apart from the city I grew up in.  Our Catholic Student Association folks are down in Kentucky with Christian Appalachian Project doing much the same sort of servant-retreat work.

Prayers are with you, and will be praying for you all day along with my prayer partner T.

That 'Habits' game is fun & addictive... and I am getting a TON of stuff done!   This is a scary-good combo!!!!!   Very similar to one I did a few years ago called DailyFeats, and that was where I learned how helpful something like this can be.  But it is MUCH more fun to play with others!  :)  Even introverts need & like community!!!!!