An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

I shall have to check out the Habits game!  And I'd never heard of Nazareth Farms, though, Mel, for bonus points, I drove through Salem going to see a person in Parkersburg while I was home!

And since it's out of the bag in Prayer Room, and I've told one person already on the Phorum...interview went well.  24 hours later I got a phone call from the Chair of the Search Committee, offering me the job with the Dean and Provost giving their consent to the offer.  I accepted. :)  The Dean just called and we discussed my salary, benefits, and my class schedule.  I'll be returning to my alma mater as a Temporary Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice this Fall 2014!!!!!  

My schedule includes 4 sections:

• 1 section of Introduction to Criminal Justice.  (Beyond excited, intro kids are still fresh and not jaded!)
  • 1 section of Ethics in Criminal Justice  (My favorite topic EVER, after Juvenile Justice.)
  • 1 Section of Comparative Criminal Justice.  (Third favorite topic EVER, after Ethics.)
  • 1 section of Criminology.  (Theory is fun for me, but the true problem will be making it fun and interesting for the students.)

Edit:  Also, teaching a Masters level Planning and Evaluation course in Spring!

O.

M.

G.

YAY.

Dude, huge congrats. I know you've worked your tail off for this, and I'm thrilled for you. And you can be near family and BMCs again. That's wonderful.

Will you be done your dissertation by September, then?

YEAH!!!!! Congratulations! 

Thank you!!!  Super excited over it! :)

O.

M.

G.

YAY.

Dude, huge congrats. I know you've worked your tail off for this, and I'm thrilled for you. And you can be near family and BMCs again. That's wonderful.

Will you be done your dissertation by September, then?

Thanks Missy!!  I'm really happy about it, and I actually stopped by BMCs to pray after my interview and on the way back to PA as well!  :)  T. and K. are ecstatic to have me around for at least a year (if FSU can't roll this into a tenure track position) and I'm happy too!  Should be done by then; registered for August graduation, so as long as I defend by mid July, it should be good!

VERY EXCITING, BG!!!!!   We are so HAPPY for you!!!!

Thanks AL!!  It's been quite a week, and I'm so happy too! :)

YAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

Congrats BG! That is so exciting!

Thank you!!  It's super exciting from where I'm sitting; not only is it a job, but now I only have to worry about dissertating (well, and teaching, but that flows rather organically)! :)

I want to thank you all for your prayers and support, I've really appreciated them so very much! :)

It's a grueling week diss. wise. :|  Last night I played Cards Against Humanity and Say Anything with some great pholks, had a brilliantly hilarious time.

Also just had a laugh over on FB, a friend posted this:

1947451_908316712531116_1508980563_n.jpg

I like those, BG.   YOU CAN DO IT on the dissertation.  

My friends and I are SURE Of it:

:cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: :brutebeast:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

Edited by AnneLine

TheresaThoma

Oh yes, fallacies. I remember having to do an assignment about fallacies and we were supposed to pick a campaign website and find the fallacies in it. It was ridiculously easy.

Here's my contribution:

AD HOMINEM:  You're an idiot for supporting the New York Mets*, so your teleological argument for the existence of God is false.

FAULTY CAUSE:  TV wasn't widespread before Hitler.  Ergo, TV is evil.   (ok, that was also guilt by association)

FALSE DILEMMA:  If you really loved me, you would step on this banana peel while singing Bohemian Rhapsody in a Pink Power Rangers suit.

LOADED QUESTION:  Why is global thermonuclear war generally considered to be the best solution for the Eurovision Song Contest* crisis?

*The NY Mets are a baseball team.  They never win, so this ad hominem is actually not far off the mark.

*FYI, The Eurovision Song Contest does to music what tomato ketchup does to a clean white shirt.

Edited by chrysostom

truthfinder

I believe it was the oatmeal website that listed all 14? possible logical fallacies. My officemate and I wanted to print it out poster style for the office.

BG  "There is no PokeGod but Mew, and Bunnelby is his prophet"

Selah:  YESSSSSSSS
Selah: Giratina worshipers would be like Satanists I guess?
Selah:  "Giratina represents forcing pokemon into slavery instead of befriending them!"

BG:  LOL
BG:  Does it really?
BG:  Didn't play that generation

Selah:  I was taking one of the nine satanic statements to reflect giratina xD
Selah:  And I think so; even though he kind of defended Ash and the crew against arceus

BG: oh okies xD
BG:  Sounds good to me!
BG:  Who is Arceus then?

Selah:  He's pokegod!
Selah:  Palkia is St. Michael and Dialga St. Gabriel
Selah:  I guess
Selah:  lol

BG:  oh my goodness (don't blasphemy)
BG:  but Mew is Pokegod

Selah:  Mew is Adam (or Eve)

BG:  HOW CAN WE BE DIVIDED BY THE POKEDIVINITY CAUSED BY THE ARCEUS REFORMATION?

Selah:  LOL

BG:  WHY, WHY MUST YOU LISTEN TO THE LIES OF GARY OAK, THE APOSTLE OF BLUE?

Selah:  "IS OUTRAGE! THE FIRST ECUMENICAL COUNCIL OF KANTO STATES THAT ARCEUS IS POKEGOD"

BG:  LOL
BG:  "I AM A SEDE-POKE-BALLIST! THE POKEBALL OF KALOS IS EMPTY"

Selah:  "YOU SCHISMATIC HERETIC"
Selah:  lol

BG:  "YOU WORSHIPPER OF THE FALSE POKEGOD! THE ANTI-MEW!"
BG:  lol

Selah: "HAIL ARCEUS"

BG:  "GLORY TO OUR SAVIOR, MEW"

Selah:  lol you would be the protestant pokemon trainer

BG:  Mew came first m'lady It is you who are in schism!

Selah:  Arceus came first and created Mew, you schismatic
Selah:  Mewtwo is the antichrist

BG:  I can accept Mewtwo is the anti-Mew, and Giratana is Satan. However, is Mew consbustantial with Arceus?

Selah:  No. There was a time when he was not.

BG:  HERESY

Selah:  LOL

BG:  Next thing you know, you'll tell me that deoxys is proof against Arceus-creationism!

Selah:  Um....riiiight...funny story about....that...

BG:  *gasp* YOU'RE NOT SAYING POKEMON EVOLVE NATURALLY ARE YOU?

Selah:  Yessssssss I am

BG:  THOU DENIETH THE POWER OF ARCEUS! THOU DENIETH THE CONSUBSTANTIAL NATURE OF MEW! THOU DENIETH THE TRUTH OF ALL POKEMONS! NEXT THOU SHALL SAY KANTO IS NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE!

Selah:  Also Digimon exist

BG:  ...blasphemy...

I like those, BG.   YOU CAN DO IT on the dissertation.  

My friends and I are SURE Of it:

:cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: :brutebeast:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

Thanks!!  Added more surveys today!  Tomorrow is class, dissertating, pennance service.  And thanks for the prayers and cheer smilies!!

Oh yes, fallacies. I remember having to do an assignment about fallacies and we were supposed to pick a campaign website and find the fallacies in it. It was ridiculously easy.

That sounds like an amazingly fun assignment!  Sort of similar, a prof I had once, assigned us politicians we liked who were running for President and he was hoping we'd see the fallacies in their positions, by making us create ads against them.  He had no clue my personal politics, and gave me Hillary Clinton...it was a hilarious assignment.

Here's my contribution:

AD HOMINEM:  You're an idiot for supporting the New York Mets*, so your teleological argument for the existence of God is false.

FAULTY CAUSE:  TV wasn't widespread before Hitler.  Ergo, TV is evil.   (ok, that was also guilt by association)

FALSE DILEMMA:  If you really loved me, you would step on this banana peel while singing Bohemian Rhapsody in a Pink Power Rangers suit.

LOADED QUESTION:  Why is global thermonuclear war generally considered to be the best solution for the Eurovision Song Contest* crisis?

*The NY Mets are a baseball team.  They never win, so this ad hominem is actually not far off the mark.

*FYI, The Eurovision Song Contest does to music what tomato ketchup does to a clean white shirt.

That was awesome!!  And I'd like to answer the Loaded Question by saying, it's obvious someone saw the Eurovision contest.  We all know that trying to forget last year's is the real reason Putin invaded Crimea...more seriously, loved each of the examples.

I believe it was the oatmeal website that listed all 14? possible logical fallacies. My officemate and I wanted to print it out poster style for the office.

It was probably the Oatmeal!  And I can't blame you, that poster would be awesome in an academic office.

I've not felt so clean after Confession in such a long time as I did after tonight's penance service.  Going to share something from before we were under the Seal.

"Has anyone told you that you have a super piercing gaze Father?"

"Yes actually. Sorry, can't turn it off after 22 years in federal law enforcement."

Darnit Father T., that's the last thing to tell someone who just spent the morning lecturing on interrogation techniques.

truthfinder

Bahaha!

Although, BG, the Seal of Confession doesn't apply to the confessee, just the confessor or anyone else who may have heard the confession (although prudence usually dictates that we not share our confessions).

Also personally why I like the grate. GAH! couldn't imagine. One of the last face-to-face confessions I did, the priest would close his eyes and bow his head - so much less intimidating. 

TheresaThoma

I have always felt more comfortable doing a face to face confession though I normally sit there and stare at the floor or my lap while making my confession.