An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

I much prefer a face-to-face these days because my knees no longer like the uncomfortable wooden kneelers in our confessional.  True confession, that... but it is worth it for the Sacrament, and it does remind one to KEEP IT SHORT AND HONEST!

When I was younger (teens....) I HATED face-to-face, but I realized long ago that my voice is distinctive enough that short of using a false voice, father will know perfectly well who I am... after all, I know which of THEM is behind that screen, don't I?   So.... really.... about that pride.... yeah.....

BUT I love the sacrament in its many beauteous forms!

The new guy I go to also stares. Not in a creepy or rude way...he just looks...and does not stop looking...I'm used to them either looking elsewhere, bowing their head or closing their eyes until I finish confessing, so it's a little nerve-racking.

Bahaha!

Although, BG, the Seal of Confession doesn't apply to the confessee, just the confessor or anyone else who may have heard the confession (although prudence usually dictates that we not share our confessions).

Also personally why I like the grate. GAH! couldn't imagine. One of the last face-to-face confessions I did, the priest would close his eyes and bow his head - so much less intimidating. 

Haha, good point, I always forget that about the Seal!!  I've never done the grate or a curtain personally, figuring they know my voice, but totally agree...when they stare it's a lot worse.  (Though no chance for a grate at this service.)

I have always felt more comfortable doing a face to face confession though I normally sit there and stare at the floor or my lap while making my confession. 

I always try to look them in the eye, or general face direction, and honestly dunno why.  Part of me likes to think "I'm owning up to my sins", but another part of me goes, "you're just too scared to look away". 

I much prefer a face-to-face these days because my knees no longer like the uncomfortable wooden kneelers in our confessional.  True confession, that... but it is worth it for the Sacrament, and it does remind one to KEEP IT SHORT AND HONEST!

When I was younger (teens....) I HATED face-to-face, but I realized long ago that my voice is distinctive enough that short of using a false voice, father will know perfectly well who I am... after all, I know which of THEM is behind that screen, don't I?   So.... really.... about that pride.... yeah.....

BUT I love the sacrament in its many beauteous forms!

Knees not liking it is a pretty good reason!  And short and honest works too! :) 

The new guy I go to also stares. Not in a creepy or rude way...he just looks...and does not stop looking...I'm used to them either looking elsewhere, bowing their head or closing their eyes until I finish confessing, so it's a little nerve-racking.

Sorry your new guy stares too...and ditto at being used to them looking elsewhere or closing their eyes.  Our Confessional has a little fan thing in it that blows directly in the priest's eyes, which results in them closing their eyes as often as not.

----

Data entry done, now to analyze.  20,748 variables by hand over the last month and a half entered into my statistical software!  Cleaning the apartment, I have guests sleeping on my living room floor for Good Friday and mom's coming up on Easter!

Good Friday...I know it's necessary, but the thought of what Jesus went through today makes me want to cry.  Watched The Passion yesterday and did.

Also a time of bad memories personally.  It was Good Friday in middle school when my granddad had a stroke that left him paralyzed and unable to speak.  Spent that Easter weekend thinking he'd die...he didn't.  But then came taking care of him at home until grandma and granddad's money ran out, then the nursing home, and having to close down their small business. And now I'm tearing up.

Also what in the world Holy Week.  The Reports are flying fast and loose.  Edit:  I have groomed us from 5 reports to 1...the remaining 1 is me reporting myself about a PM to make sure I took alright action.

BG...  prayed specially for you and your grandfather and your whole family on Good Friday.....

and will pray for you -- for ALL OF YOU/US! at the Easter Vigil in a few hours!!!!

S O O N .....     

First of all, in honor of today:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExdrZGQVeI[/media]

Congrats on the job BG! I'm a little late to the party, but hey... CONGRATS! 

Thanks!!  :)  I'm still happy, so...haha.  Hope you're having a good semester over at FUS, nearly finals, and if I remember right, graduation?

BG...  prayed specially for you and your grandfather and your whole family on Good Friday.....

and will pray for you -- for ALL OF YOU/US! at the Easter Vigil in a few hours!!!!

S O O N .....     

AL, thank you so much!  I appreciate that a lot!  And hurray for Easter Vigil!  I hope yours is as blessed as the one at the parish here.  We had two guys baptized and confirmed; couldn't stop grinning the whole time through their baptism and confirmations!  Nor did I realize just how truly involved my senses are with the liturgy, when the Gloria and Alleluia returned it was almost like a true breath of fresh air after the solemness of Lent, and as the altar was covered once more, the church seemed...bigger, somehow.  After the Eucharist, when the Tabernacle was shut once more and filled with Him, rather than empty and open as it has been since the end of Holy Thursday, it felt so RIGHT.  Didn't realize how much an open and empty Tabernacle was setting me on jittery.

Happily congratulated our two converts, and then left, wishing Father a Happy Easter when he stopped me in my tracks with, "Thank you, and happy anniversary!"  I was so caught up in everything about Vigil and being so excited for the guys converting, that I hadn't even thought about it being my anniversary of converting as well! :P  

--- 

So to any of the PM pholks who have done RCIA, and I know a few read this thread from time to time, I wish you one and all a happy anniversary as a Catholic! :)

TheresaThoma

Happy Aniversary to you too BG! (This year was three years for me). Its always so great for me at the Easter Vigil with the renewal of baptismal vows because I can clearly remember making them for the first time.

Happy Aniversary to you too BG! (This year was three years for me). Its always so great for me at the Easter Vigil with the renewal of baptismal vows because I can clearly remember making them for the first time.

Thanks TheresaThoma!!!  And congratulations on the three years for you!  And amen, can remember it as well, and it is so amazing what He's done for us!  (Sorry for the belated reply!)

---

Dissertation is...going.  God willing, this chapter will be done tomorrow or Sunday and sent in for revision.  Also Selah and I are dating now.

Just got a FB message from a girl I knew in 7th grade.  She was telling me how even today, she still tells her kids how Christ-like I acted in the face of all the bullying and such (and apologized for bringing that up) and how I played a role in her faith growing.  It was the most humbling thing to read ever (and guilt inducing, as I examine me now compared to back then).

==

Also, I hate when people fail my class simply because they don't care...and that's exactly what happened to 5 people yesterday who didn't retake what they needed to on Makeup Day.  I tried to get everyone to do it...it's in the Syllabus, it's on D2L as an announcement, I announced it in class every day for the past three weeks.  I opened up 55 separate missed tests across four sections for retaking (and most were).  They, those five people, have no one to blame but themselves, but I still feel like I failed them that they're going to fail my class due to apathy.

truthfinder

BG,

you haven't failed them.  They failed themselves.  As utilitarian as is sounds, you should only care as much as they themselves care about the course (when it comes to their grades. I know you put a lot of work into your teaching.)  I can become a bit ruthless when marking but at the same time feel really bad for students who think they're doing well but their work only deserves a low grade. 

I agree with Truthfinder on this one, BG.   You have gone out of your way to let them know what is required, and to offer them one or more opportunities to fix the problem.  Sometimes... and young adults are pretty notorious for this.... people just want to know that you really will zap them if they need it.   That there really ARE some firm lines that cannot be crossed without some consequences.  Yes, this is a tough consequence.  And they probably don't realize how tough a consequence it will be down the road when the GPA suddenly means something to them.  

BUT they can take it again (from someone else if they prefer), and my bet is they will rememeber this.  I remember the teacher who looked me in the eye and said, "Senorita, you are going to fail my class if you don't start memorizing your Spanish grammar."   I didn't fail it, but I got the  I deserved....