An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

And if you haven't checked the prayer room recently.... big family drama with regard to C.... Mr.AL's sister got into a huge fight with the aunt who has been caring for C.... and now the Aunt and C are in a huge spitting match... and the Aunt is making noises about asking to have C leave.  Details in the prayer room.....

We can use some big-time prayer support here.....

Happy birthday, Pho! You're really old. Do something nice for yourself today. :wave:

Edited by MissyP89

Hey BG!!!!  It is still June 5th out here!!!   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  :cake:

By the way... now I know why it hurt so much... I have had a torn rotator cuff... it is BRUTAL.  You take care of yourself!

AL, glad C. is still kicking and celebrating 80 years!! :)  Huge prayers though, for her and the aunt caring for her.... :/    And thanks, it's definitely not fun.    Sorry you'vve gone through it before too! :(  And thanks for the bday wishes!!

TheresaThoma, hurray for running!!  :)  My doc cleared me to walk again, but under no circumstances am I to lift while the shoulder is in its current condition.

Selah, I'm trying dear :)  You've definitely been keeping my spirits up.  And HCF says you'll love the birthday gift! :P

Missy, thanks I realize I'm totally old for the bday wishes!  I didn't work on my diss. for the day...but then ended up running errands for my parents to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Party City, Krogers, and Sam's Club.  And yeah...was quite glad it was a dog and not an inmate. :heh:

--

Random updated stuff, because real life has kept me off PM:

1) As said in a Prayer Room post, it's not my heart, but a strained rotator cuff that's been causing shoulder and chest pains!  On a major dosage of anti-inflammatory...like 4-5 times the normal recommended dose, twice a day.

2)  Turned in another draft of Results chapter of dissertation.

3)  I sign for an apartment where I'm teaching on Monday!

4) Dad and I will be in D.C. on a bus trip Wednesday, and at Gettysburg on Thursday.  (I have some praying to do while there.)  Driving to and from PA the other days.

5)  Did Relay for Life last night with mom.  She did her survivor lap, then I did the caregiver lap with her, and we walked about 2.5 miles more before she was completely exhausted.  Afterward, we went to Eat N Park for our Relay tradition since her first time.  We go eat dinner there after, to celebrate.  :)  Even though I've been living in PA the past 4 years, I've always come home for Relay and then Eat N Park.

6)Tomorrow we're doing my aunt and my's birthday parties/shared at my aunt's and then going to my best friend's, where he's making a bday dinner for me over game night.

Don't make any friends in Gettysburg. ;) Just kidding! Happy you're doing well (yay, apartment!) and thrilled for your mom's continued good health.

TheresaThoma

Yuck, having your shoulder messed up is no fun. I had tendonitis in both my shoulders. I had to be on massive doses of anti-inflammatories and couldn't lift anything heavy (not even a gallon of milk).

Keep up the walking though! It sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy as well.

Don't make any friends in Gettysburg. ;) Just kidding! Happy you're doing well (yay, apartment!) and thrilled for your mom's continued good health.

I don't intend to. ;)  And thanks, I'm grateful for her continued good health too!  And signed on apartment today, need to hit courthouse in that county as we leave town tomorrow (dad and I) so I can set up my water bill and have proof for Monday the 16th when I get apartment keys (pending proof).

Yuck, having your shoulder messed up is no fun. I had tendonitis in both my shoulders. I had to be on massive doses of anti-inflammatories and couldn't lift anything heavy (not even a gallon of milk).

Keep up the walking though! It sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy as well.

Omg that sounds awful!!!  Did they get better though?  And will do on keeping up with the walking.  Plenty of it, I'm sure, this week.  Dad and I are going to Gettysburg and taking a bus tour into D.C. one day; so plenty of walking monument to monument and at the Air and Space part of the Smithsonian.  And plenty of walking the battlefield...I'm staunchly grateful the union was preserved, but walking Pickett's Charge, heh, can't help but feel sympathy for those men and boys who walked across that open field into death.

Anyhow all, thanks!  Headed out tomorrow, be back Saturday-ish!

You enjoy yourself, and stay away from making friends and picking up hitch hikers in Gettysburg.    :hehe2:  :dead: :nono: :eek:  :ascension:   :shocking:

As far as the torn rotator cuff.... have been there and hope you can get yours to behave itself.  My career counseling professor reminded me to NOT shake hands with people while you wait it out.. because you can't control if they inadvertently yank your arm.  Same with hugs.  Be sensible.  YOU make the moves....

Mine was REALLY badly torn after a freak accidwent and it was about 18 mos of AGONY (not a single night did I not roll over onto it and just about hit the ceiling from the pain.  Finally when the movement just wasn't coming back, they had me do an MRI and realized how badly it was torn.   After a few months more dithering (and 3 semesters of one-handed paper writing....) the doctors finally decided I should have it repaired surgically.   It was the best decision I ever made.   Before the surgery, I had only about 75 percent movement with a TON of pain in the shoulder... and inability to lift much of anything; afterwards, well.... took some physical therapy but 100 percent motion back... and NO PAIN at all.  

So.... do what they tell you!

YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Edited by AnneLine

TheresaThoma

The tendonitis eventually went away. I still have to be careful though because it can flare back up from time to time.

That trip sounds really cool, good exercise for the mind and the body!

• 2 weeks later...

AL, that sounds awful!!!  I've been resting it as much as possible, which seems to be helping I think, with the anti-inflammatory.  Slowly, but surely.  Though hurt some yesterday...walked into my building on campus where the department is and there were piles of FREE BOOKS on the benches, labeled FREE BOOKS.  And two boxes worth of FREE BOOKS were ones I'm teaching classes on in the Fall...so, erm...yeah. xD

TheresaThoma, sorry it still flares up from time to time. :(  It was good exercise mind and body!  And in patience too; not just with dad...kids everywhere on end of the year school trips.  For instance, I'm told the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a very touching and precise ceremony...I spent it being elbowed, kicked, and stepped on by kids going every which way, while staring into the back of a man's afro. 

Well all, dad and I managed not to kill one another...somehow.  I also got to talk on the tour guide's microphone during the D.C. driving tour!  We passed the U.S. Institute of Peace and he mentioned he didn't know what it was, and I quietly went, "Well if you want, I can tell you, I've got multiple certifications from them in conflict analysis..." and next thing I know "our new doctor friend knows!" as the microphone's put in hand LOL.  Dad tried to say we picked the tour with Arlington in it, because I wanted to see it...or so he kept telling himself as I stood back and let he and the rest of the 50+ crowd weep at JFK's grave.

As we left D.C., we exited along embassy row and I managed to snap a quick photo of a certain nunciature:

10460232_10100146130955689_2936503656213

Gettysburg was good, though also full of kids and haunting as always.  I stood at the monument that marks where Lee ordered Pickett's charge and stared across the mile or so of open fields to the wall on the Union side and had to shudder.  I'm staunchly glad the Union won and the U.S. was preserved, but it's almost impossible to look across that field and not feel sympathy for the men and boys who were cut down like wheat by cannon and gunfire.  Something new I noticed while we were there, since the advent of reality shows about buried treasure and such, there are now signs around the battlefield, telling you not to search for any, and that it's a federal crime to loot a national park.

Guy on Phone: This is [name] from [cable company with monopoly where I'm moving], I'm outside your apartment right now. Would ya let me in already?

Me: I'm sorry?

Guy on Phone: The work order for your installation today?

Me: No one told me sir, last I talked with [corporation] I told them we'd be installing in July. I'm not even in the same state as you are right now.

Guy on Phone: *sighs* That don't surprise me a bit, I'll call my dispatcher and she'll call ya

Say a prayer for your local cable company guy/girl right now... it is a horrible job... and the only time we remember to pray for them (and the electric, water, gas, etc. people) is when something goes wrong!!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Ironically, this brings up a funny yet not funny story, BG.... A few months back, I was contacted by local GIANT communications company that controls internet/telephone and cable.   Said company is proud of offering UNLIMITED phone... to the point where every time you see a TV commercial or hear a phone blah blah while you wait... and every time you talk to a rep the opening line is "Thank you for calling BIG COMPANY, home of UNLIMITED long distance!"  

The only problem was that, they were contacting me BECAUSE I had 'over-used' my phone service... and they were threatening to take it ALL AWAY if I didn't stop over-calling. (It seems an average of 3 hours a day all month was OVER-USAGE and BAD!!!!)

Now I pointed out to them that, "well.... then you really DON'T have UNLIMITED service, then, do you?"

"Oh, yes, we are the HOME of UNLIMITED phones!"

"Well, then why are we having this discussion?"

"Well, no one could USE that much phone service."  

"Well I do."  

"But the calls are going all over the country!  Day and night!"  

"Yes, they are!"

"BUT that is not the way this service should be used!"

"Uh, you advertise, 'unlimited nation-wide service' !" :frown:

"well, yes ,but it doesn't mean THAT!"

"Well, what does it mean?"

"Uh.... [grumpy silence.]...You aren't using the phone service the way it was meant to be used!"

"Really?   How is it to be used?"  

"Uh... you must be doing something BAD with it!  How could you have so many friends all over the country!  Maybe you are a business... or doing something like a spy ring with it."  

(spy ring?) [key in Mission Impossible music.... "Good morning, Mr. Phelps...."]

(hmmmmm :evil:)

"Well..."  (and those of you who know evil AnneLine may know where I was about to go with this...

"Uh, yes," I continued, "I guess I best be honest.   :giveup: Yes, I am part of a vicious spy ring.  We are all over the country; all over the world in fact."  

"Ah, we knew it!  What are you doing?!"  

"Praying.  I teach people how to pray."  

"Praying? you mean like...."  

"Yes, I help people to learn to pray better.  All over the country.  And we pray for people.  And their intentions.  All over the world."   :buddies2:

"Seriously, like.... Catholic praying?"   :pray:

"Yes, EXACTLY like Catholic praying.   :hehe2: I do hope you are getting all this on tape?"

"Uh yes."   :crazy:

"Good.  Is there anything you would like us to pray for?"  

"You're joking!"   :covereyes:

" No, I am deadly serious.   We pray every day and ask others to pray with us.  So... what can we pray for for you?" :please:

And since then my prayer partner and I (and a few other select Pray-ers... and now all of YOU!) have been praying for the following prayer requests from our friends at GIANT CABLE/INTERNET/PHONE company:

• World Peace
  • For my Family
  • For my military husband who is trying to get a disability exemption because he has just been told he is having to go back to the Middle East for the 4th time and we are worried about his mental health... [I told her we would bump THIS one to the top of the pack!]   :console:
  • That my family and I could learn to pray better
  • and we also toss in a generic prayer for all the UNSPOKEN prayer request from that utility.... and all the others... on a regular basis.... :crazyshoot:

It's moments like this when I really feel like the original Anne Line... even if I am not as saintly....

BTW we finally resolved it by putting in a SECOND residential phone line... and we moved the LOTH praying to Skype.... heheheh....

Edited by AnneLine