An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

Yeah, I think they all talk happy words but at the end of the day they are just out for the cha ching.

I need to go look up the full address because I only caught the last 20mins or so because I was at class.

I sadly have to agree with you.  I mean yes, everyone agrees, women deserve equal treatment and equal pay, but tell me how you're going to make that happen Mr. President.  Maybe CNN might have a transcript?  They did all through the Bush years at least.

Got the car looked at, for the first time, my check engine light was nothing...just some fumes triggered the sensor.  However, they noticed my tail pipe looked really low and lifted the car up to look underneath.  My muffler and exhaust pipe were hanging by barely anything, having rusted entirely through.  The mechanic waved me into the garage to show it to me and ask if I wanted it replaced...kinda had to, but still, heh.  More than a month of rent later, got out of the garage.  Did some surveys.  Parked in the only faculty lot left, on the far side of campus...thought it was strange it was mostly empty.  Sat down at my computer after hiking across campus and found an email from the campus PD, asking us to travel in groups, don't travel after dark, etc. because a student was shot on the street next to that parking lot this morning, right next to campus.

I liked a lot of the things the President had to say about women, raising minimum wage, making education more accessible etc.

But my only problems were like...how? Yeah you can make an executive order to do certain things like making federal jobs require a minimum wage of $10 etc but...if there are greedy people at the top of the food chain who wont let the money they make "trickle down" and allow it to benefit more people, I can see more lay offs happening. 

I dunno.

Pretty much agree with all you said, both the positives and negatives, heh. I don't know either, I have this cynical side that says it's all fluff...

Good news and bad news today.  Good news:  I have another phone interview, this time with my alma mater!  Bad news:  The student who was shot yesterday?  Details have been released and I had him as a student in one of my classes last semester.

Pretty much agree with all you said, both the positives and negatives, heh. I don't know either, I have this cynical side that says it's all fluff...

Good news and bad news today.  Good news:  I have another phone interview, this time with my alma mater!  Bad news:  The student who was shot yesterday?  Details have been released and I had him as a student in one of my classes last semester.

So sorry for the loss.

BG that is hard (the student getting shot) I'm sorry

Though that is exciting you are getting an interview with your alma mater!

Actually California is one place I wasn't applying!  Sorry, but when you all began to pay your public employees with IOUs at one point last year, I went "....nope." :P

Happy to have that humorous moment there, because the first issue of the school paper is out for Spring.  The first thing I did was empty out the inserts, like the apartment rentals for Fall, textbook rentals, and the one that surprised me...the abortion clinic.  Well, they don't say they're an abortion clinic per se, but I think so, by reading between the lines.  "You didn't meant to get PREGNANT. NOW WHAT?  NOW THERE'S HELP IN [town]!"  Oh you mean that the pro-life crisis pregnancy clinic that didn't charge any money for anyone using their services and provided help, support, ultrasounds, pre-natal care, etc. wasn't help already? 

"Find some answers before you make a decision....Free and Confidential Services:  Pregnancy testing

Medical pregnancy verification

Abortion education

Community referrals

Post-abortion support

Sexual health and relationship education

Additional medical services"

Also part of the clinic name is "Choice" and it says that it "understands you".

That sounds exactly like a pregnancy resources center advertisement. I'm into how these places do marketing, after all. It's my job. This sounds exactly like a PRC ad. To give you context, our tagline is "Options for Women," and we also talk about "choice" because if you're only presented with one option for dealing with an unexpected pregnancy then it's really not much of a choice, now is it? ;)

Edited by arfink

Augh. :( Prayers.

So sorry for the loss.

Thanks for the condolences, but fortunately he's alive.  And as of the other day, now in fair condition!  The local paper posted earlier that the police have arrested the suspect, after the guy turned himself in.  One count of attempted homicide, two of aggravated assault.  

BG that is hard (the student getting shot) I'm sorry

Though that is exciting you are getting an interview with your alma mater!

Thanks, luckily he's doing better (fair condition) and the cops did arrest the shooter (which is more than they could say on Friday).  And thanks, I appreciate any and all prayers, so nervous for the interview!

I hope your interview goes well! I'm sorry about your student. :(

Thanks, crossing my fingers and praying on the interview.  And happy that the student's in fair condition.  A few of my colleagues and I were sitting around this weekend, they were drinking, and I wasn't.  We talked about how, of late, the town has been reminding us of Broken Windows Theory.  Basically, it's a theory that says an area will get progressively worse if things aren't cleaned up.  In the past two years there's been an influx in students committing vandalism and theft and graffiti that would have been unheard of three years ago, is all over campus and the surrounding streets.  Then windows started getting broken out, and just boarded over.  Then a few suspicious fires.  Then the other week, my old apartment complex had a standoff involving the Special Emergency Response Team in full tactical gear and a drunk man who tried to shoot someone with a handgun, then threatened the cops with an AK and an M4, before finally sobering up and surrendering.  Now one of our students gets shot in a road rage incident.

That sounds exactly like a pregnancy resources center advertisement. I'm into how these places do marketing, after all. It's my job. This sounds exactly like a PRC ad. To give you context, our tagline is "Options for Women," and we also talk about "choice" because if you're only presented with one option for dealing with an unexpected pregnancy then it's really not much of a choice, now is it? ;)

Okay, you make me feel somewhat better about it then...

Augh. :( Prayers.

Thanks.

And thank you all.  I'm glad my student is doing better and hopefully will be out of the hospital this week.  Also glad his shooter has been captured.  According to local news and the school paper, they've got several witnesses, including the guy who tried to stop the shooter (and had been getting a ride from him), whom the shooter threatened to kill if he told anyone.  They've also got surveillance footage from my student's apartment complex, showing it was completely unprovoked on his part.  

I'll admit, I'm still a bit shaken.  In the field I teach in, there's always a risk one day that your students could be hurt or killed in the line of duty, but you don't expect them to get shot while they're still attending classes in a small town.  It also dredged up some memories from a couple of years ago when an acquaintance from my alma mater was shot and killed in the line of duty as a Deputy U.S. Marshal.  

Thanks for the condolences, but fortunately he's alive.  And as of the other day, now in fair condition!  The local paper posted earlier that the police have arrested the suspect, after the guy turned himself in.  One count of attempted homicide, two of aggravated assault.  

Thanks, luckily he's doing better (fair condition) and the cops did arrest the shooter (which is more than they could say on Friday).  And thanks, I appreciate any and all prayers, so nervous for the interview!

:bananarap:

Sorry, I just automatically add "fatally" to "shot"...glad he's doing better!

Oh BG... feels a little like we have seen Lazarus come forth!!!!!  So glad your student is doing better.

And TOTALLY GET the idea that if you don't get atop a problem really fast, it just gets worse.  Rather like not stopping a bully early on... they never get any better, and they can get a WHOLE LOT worse.

Do you all have a neighborhood watch?  Do you think a bunch of religious and/or secular groups might be up for a 'take back our town' concept?  You've written before that the town doesn't LIKE the students... it sounds like they don't like the BAD students.  It might be a project that could bring the town and the good students together in a joint cause.... tossing the bullies out of town!  I will pray HARD for the right opportunity to come....

Thanks AL!  And they do, it already watches students like a hawk, because they don't trust students at all.  Thanks for the prayers!  There actually have been student suggested initiatives in the past for cleaning up town, but they get shot down by the residents.  And the first thing the borough council did upon re-election was to punish the students for being insolent enough to run against them, by declaring unanimously that the university would have to start paying for property damage caused by students (or suspected students).

Jon Stewart was just great.  Showed a clip from the news, Al Quaeda has disavowed one of its affiliates in Syria for being too violent.  "How do you be too violent for Ayman Al Zawahiri, the co-founder of Al Quaeda, to denounce you as not being a part of his group any more?"

No chance of getting something like a Church group (catholic or otherwise) to do a combined effort to bring students and community together?  Because the common enemy isn't the STUDENTS it is the PROBLEM MAKERS.