An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

OK.... prize has been selected.... keeping it a secret from Ardill and the rest of you per his request... until after he receives it.  :)

Welll... plan is to mail everything tomorrow.  I feel a little like St. Nick will in a few weeks!   

House filled with all sorts of nice things for nice people!

Will be empty tomorrow night.... and I will be starting a new book!

We should start an Advent Reading Contest! And Anneline I hate the smell of beer so it will not tempt me! Go ahead and get some!

hehehe... I think there are other things planned for Advent (including my annual Advent Novena in Mid Dec.).  It's a tough time for people to find a time to read while everyone is trying to get ready for Christmas. 

What about a New Year Reading Challenge... say January 1 through Candlemas (Feb 2) or through President's Day Holiday (January 20)? 

THAT way it is  after Christmas, and is done before Lent, we won't lose anyone who 'gives up Phamass for Lent' and we can focus on Advent and Lent as we should.  And it gives us something to do during those LONG January days and nights!

Interest?  Anyone?  If so, we can start a thread.....

Beer may grow on you at some point in the future, Cartermia.... :cheers:  

In the meantime, some of the rest of us will be happy to enjoy your share....

Ardil is getting something with Monastery and Chocolate in its name....

We should start an Advent Reading Contest!...

...I think there are other things planned for Advent (including my annual Advent Novena in Mid Dec.).  It's a tough time for people to find a time to read while everyone is trying to get ready for Christmas. 

What about a New Year Reading Challenge... say January 1 through Candlemas (Feb 2) or through President's Day Holiday (January 20)? 

THAT way it is  after Christmas, and is done before Lent, we won't lose anyone who 'gives up Phamass for Lent' and we can focus on Advent and Lent as we should.  And it gives us something to do during those LONG January days and nights!

Interest?  Anyone?  If so, we can start a thread.....

Ya read for advent!

You know, I was thinking about it... and I guess we could start with Advent and go THROUGH Feb 2 (Candlemas).... if there is interest... those who don't want to read during Advent, could buckle down in January... and other people would read between semesters and slack off when school starts again.   Would add a bit of drama, in fact!  

Is there really any interest?  If it is more than Cartermia, Contemp CC and me, I'll start a thread next week -- want to get all the prizes for the last one sent out before we start the next one!

ChristinaTherese

I might try.... But I have college, and then during the break I'm going to be in NY with my brother and PA with the Little Sisters of the Poor for a week. So I probably won't do very well.

Well, I don't see why we can't.   However, let me get the prizes mailed out for the Summer Competition first.  (I'm really not being a total dip on sending them out, by the way... I have to take them to a post office, and I don't drive, and live a ways away from the post office.  Last few weeks have only gotten down on Sunday... no post office on Sunday.   Gonna try again for mailing out tomorrow  ( :paperbag: )

I've also PMed Byz to be sure he is ok with this -- since the 1st competition was his idea, I want to be respectful... But I think we can plan tentatively to start at Church New Year (1st Sun of Advent) and read, read, read through Midnight on Candlemas.   Kind of a rolling start and rolling end -- we're learning how to do a global contest, everyone!!!!

If I don't hear from Byz by Sunday, I'll put a flag in open Mic and we'll get ready to start our Winter Read (as opposed to feed!) with the 1st Sun of Advent!

Edited by AnneLine

SOME people will always try to get the jump on something like this... but I think Byz originally said you could FINISH books during the competition, so... well,  I guess so.... ;)  

Good to see people reading.... just call me an old reading tutor (which I am was at one point...)... whatever gets people to read is a good thing!

I just went to the library and now I have a lot of books to read people! Once this play is done (my school's play) I will be a reading machine again!