An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Well... yus... but I bet they do have it...

http://www.amazon.com/This-House-Brede-Rumer-Godden/dp/B003X6AXTG/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

There's a more modern paperback edition, but the hardbound copy is a BEAUTIFUL thing to have around the house and I bet this is a book you will want to keep and read again....

There seems to be some problems with the Loyola Press paperback version, so I'd steer clear of that one.... and don't get an abridged one...(Reader's Digest) -- you want the big book, because you want all the details of monastery life, yes?  ;)

Edited by AnneLine

Ok to update:

f) San Juan Maria Vianney, P. Elieser Salesman, 353 pages.

g) Discernment of Spirits, Fr. Tim Gallagher, 232 pgs

(And I forgot -- this was while on travel for work!)

h) Immaculee Ilibagiza, Led by Faith, 275 pages

i) Alex Jones, No Price too High, 284

So my count now is:   2248. 

---------------------------

And I will look at the articles (or chapters of books as appropriate) that I read and post them tonight.

Adding the articles:

The number of articles were 5.  Total pages = 50 (I don't have full references for the articles, and yes one book credit would be fine).  I'd rather *not* state what the articles were in case someone ends up going on retreat with the same director :)

Finally I also read a self-help book.  (Again -- I'd rather not state the name of the book).  It was 100 pages.

If people don't feel comfortable adding these two to my counts I am ok with that :)  But if you do, it is an additional 150 pages for a total of 2398.

And yep I can be questioned on these .... lol. 

xTrishaxLynnx

Finished Divergent last night.

Going to Confession and Mass and have plans afterward so I won't be getting that last book in, most likely.

Can't wait to see our final page count. :)

Catholicterp7

Okay this will probably be my last update. 

The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christi 

Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christi 

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters

The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters

half of Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters 

Book count is 57 (no that's not counting Lion in the Valley) 

Page count 7,600

Good grief, I thought I would NEVER get into the Lameboard... it's literally taken hours!   It just wouldn't open!  Is anyone else having this problem?  I ask because if there are technology issues, we may need to extend the deadline a bit in the interest of justice.

CMaria, I think we can take the 1 volume 'Redacted self-help book' as a book without further disclosure.

I also think we can take the articles as a 1 volume 'SpEx Reader'. 

I respect your discretion on both of those choices, by the way. 

(While known to spit occasionally,

generally the Llama is NOT unreasonable,

mostly a very mellow creature....)

Pam-and-Rainy-Kiss-300x270.jpg

Thank you, CatholicTerp and Tricia.... your pages are noted.  I am curious how this will add up myself!

For myself (AnneLine) I am claiming 2 more books, with a total of 751 additional pages:

Rosanna of the Amish (251 pages). 

Morning, Evening and Office of Readings from the Liturgy of the Hours (LOTH):  Usually I have been faithful to praying/reading these, but as I have missed some days, I am going to claim 500 out of 700 pages. 

I haven't been faithful enough to Night Prayer to claim that one... :paperbag:  pray for me.  

I will not get the others finished... this month. 

========================================================

We're almost at the end of the competition. 

I'm planning to do my final count at some point on Monday, just in case we have some people who haven't been able to check in due to technical issues with Phatmass. 

Please try to limit your check ins to ONLY what you have read through MIDNIGHT AUGUST 31st... Fair is fair.

Not sure how Byz intends to do his part of the count....   Byz, you ok????

Have a good night, everyone!!!!!!

I claim traveller's dispensation on this last one.

The Green Rider -- Kristin Britain -- 483

Are we sure we have to stop now? This is kind of fun.

Well... we could always come up with a new contest, but to quote the Q, All good things must come to an end.... and Byz gave us this as a deadline, so I think we need to keep to it, with a little common sense as a chaser....

The Phatmass Lame Board has been a Beast to get into today... took me almost 2 hours and two different browsing systems before I could get through.... so as I said before, I'm gonna give people some time to get in results obtained BEFORE the midnight deadline. 

Honesty, everyone....

Get in your numbers AS OF midnight wherever you are, and we'll get 'em counted up.

reading-uni-dan.jpg

ChristinaTherese

Well, with three minutes to spare I can claim:
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci Volume 1: 598 pages
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci Volume 2: 538 pages
Philemon: 1 page
Both Chrestomanci books are two stories each, if you want to count that as four books (I doubt that counting works that way, though.) and I'd better post this before it gets too much later. My pone tells me it's 12:01 now....

ChristinaTherese

Fiddlesticks! I knew there was something else I meant to say. As far as the LOTH, I think I'll do what I said before and cash in on 700 pages, since I've not been perfectly regular with all five offices but I've been trying to do them all. Now that is all for me.

I've only been able to get in 3 times today myself -- so I think we need to leave the polls open a little longer.  I'm comfortable with letting people try to get more posted IFyou did the reading during the official days of the competition.  SO.... Midnight between Aug 30 and Sept 1 is the cut-off point.

Christina, we've given people 'credit' for 'books' within anthologies.So if what you are saying is that there are 2 'books'in each of those volumes, I can see giving you 4 'books' worth of credit.  Byz may count differently... and you'll get all the page credit.

Good for you on doing so well on the LOTH.  Obviously we pray it, and don't 'just' do it for credit....but Idon't think God minds if we double-count, especially if it helps us get the habit more firmly entrenched.  GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!

Hopefully I will get the final counts done by Monday, but I do want to check in with Byz first (after all, this IS his tread and competition!!!) and I want to be sure everyone who wants to gets to post last books and pages....

Someone in the San Francisco Bay Area has started writing 'poems' about people riding our public transit....

This one made me think of all of you!

people-reading-on-bart.jpg

http://www.popuppoems.com/2011/10/19/hey-u-gang-of-four/

Edited by AnneLine