An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

ChristinaTherese

Shhh. I'm reading. :coffee:

Speaking of which, I just finished another book. I picked up the Chrestomanci books when I started to be ill last Thursday and decided to try to get 1,000 pages read in three days (and broke my previous record of 365 pages in a day by reading 475 pages on Saturday), so I (still sick) read the other two books we have by Diana Wynne Jones as well (but in September): Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air. (627 more pages, by the way. ;p)

You guys are bad.   :)

Byz and I have created reading zombies!!!  They will not die!!!   :)

FlyLady is right -- it takes 30 days to create a habit, and these guys have gotten addicted!!!!!!  :bible:

However, right now I'm not counting more... maybe we do another one when we get this one done, but we need to get this one put to bed first, OK?  You can keep track of your own numbers for a while, yes?

Congrats, DTA!!!!  and you, too, Christina!!!  :heart:

Ok to update:

f) San Juan Maria Vianney, P. Elieser Salesman, 353 pages.

g) Discernment of Spirits, Fr. Tim Gallagher, 232 pgs

(And I forgot -- this was while on travel for work!)

h) Immaculee Ilibagiza, Led by Faith, 275 pages

i) Alex Jones, No Price too High, 284

So my count now is:   2248. 

---------------------------

And I will look at the articles (or chapters of books as appropriate) that I read and post them tonight.

My page count is off ... I did report 353 for St. John Vianney. Not that it really does make a difference but it does up the total number of pages read by Phatmassers by 51 :).

ChristinaTherese

You guys are bad.   :)

Byz and I have created reading zombies!!!  They will not die!!!   :)

FlyLady is right -- it takes 30 days to create a habit, and these guys have gotten addicted!!!!!!  :bible:

However, right now I'm not counting more... maybe we do another one when we get this one done, but we need to get this one put to bed first, OK?  You can keep track of your own numbers for a while, yes?

Congrats, DTA!!!!  and you, too, Christina!!!  :heart:

Oh, I was just kidding with the page count. ;) (And I've always loved reading, and when I get sick for a week I read a lot. Now I need to not read and just do some work... like mending and cleaning my room. And vacuuming the house... and dealing with emails... and writing a resume....)

he he he...

Christina Therese wrote:

Now I need to not read and just do some work... like mending and cleaning my room. And vacuuming the house... and dealing with emails... and writing a resume....)

Well... Christina Therese... then you need to check out My AnneLine's Kitchen Table Random thread and join me in the FlyLady challenge that I just started day before yesterday!!!! (shameless self-promotion here....) 

It will give you the tools you need to do all of that... and more ... one baby step at a time! 

(And SERIOUSLY, I did NOT suggest to Christina Therese to suggest this... she just asked for it and it's already waiting for her!!!!)

189,287 pages!!!!!!

WOW we really read a lot this summer.

Maybe we will have to have an Advent reading contest/club. That would be fun!

:dance: :dance2: :dance3: :dance4: :dance5:

I have been missing because of reading, homework, volleyball, working out, and much much more reading!!!

Catholicterp7

I WAS SO CLOSE!!!!!!!! The only reason I didn't finish Lion in the Valley is because one of my friends entered the convent so I was gone all day and didn't get back until after midnight :( 

Congrats to everyone! This is pretty impressive!! 

Well, at last we start to hear from the Readers!!!!! :)

And we need to start figuring out how to do celebrations and prizes and things like that!!!!

About the Prizes:

We promised a prize for the first place winner in books and in pages. 

Ahem, that seems to be one person!

So... after discussing it with Byz by dueling private messages.... we have decided it makes more sense to have a small prize for each of the top 3 people -- AND something special for the honorable mention people as well....

So here is what we are thinking:  

1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize Winners:  if you are comfortable with private messaging me your mailing address (and it could be care of your parish, or a post office, or whatever... (please get permission from a parent if you are under 18 years of age!), then I will mail you your book.   :)  AND you will also get a Bar of Summit Dominican Nuns Soap!!!!

Or I will make a small donation in your honor, if you prefer.  (This one doesn't require the address to be sent, obviously!)

Honorable Mention winners:  You also will get a bar of the Summit Nuns' soap (it's really incredible stuff!).   I think if I asked Phatmasser Sr. Mary Catharine, she would probably be OK with me paying for it and you sending her your names and addresses to mail you your prize if you don't want to give me your contact info by PM.

Again, I am open to making a small donation in your honor if you prefer.

AND -- THIS IS FOR EVERYONE who participated in the Summer Book Competition:

ARFink has agreed to do a 'What I Read During the Summer' art project as a way of finishing up the Summer Reading Competition.

I think all of you saw what our Resident Artist and Reader ARFink did a few months ago with his Island of Awesome high-speed drawing:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzIFhr1aCw[/media]

He is going to document our Summer Reading Project with a similar piece of art!

Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners (CarterMia, DeusTeAmat and Chrysophlax)  will be able to pick one thing to go in a "major spot" in the artwork.

Those with "Honorable mention" designations (Catholicterp7, Ardillacid and BG45) will be able to pick 2 "other" things

ALL readers can throw stuff in to be picked or not picked at his discretion and as time and space permits....

...but he also has the Summer Reading thread itself to give him some ideas!!!!

ARFink plans to draw it in a Google Hangout... and if you want to watch him do the artwork you can!!!!

Probably in the early evening of either Friday September 13 or Saturday September 14.  Let us know if you have a preference!!!! 

ARFink will be opening a separate thread for ideas for the artwork / end of reading competition celebration--because otherwise we run the risk of going over 50 pages anyway!

Watch for that thread to open in the next day or two!!!!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!!!!!!

Well, now, that's a very good question?!   I am not sure if there ARE any books the 3 of you haven't read....

I'd say... if there is something you see on Amazon that looks interesting for say... $10 or so.... it could be a book of your choice.

Or I could find a nice used book in my own collection... and figure there would be something you'd enjoy based on what you have been reading this summer.

CarterMia, would you like In This House of Brede????  or something else?

I'd also be open to other suggestions.. but I am not a rich human, so we have to keep it to about $10 or so.....

ANNNNDDD>.. it looks like ARFink has opened that 'what I read this Summer' art thread...

Yeah! I'm so happy! I thought I was out of the competition when everyone else started to speed up their book reading! And I am super excited about the drawing! I will have to think deeply about what I should ask to be in it! :think:

Anneline, that picture of Pope Francis is SO CUTE! Thanks for that! I will message you about the other stuff!