An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Deus te Amat

The total for the rest of the books on my kindle is 8,341. I'll list the names if you want me to, but I'm lazy. I think that total is from 24 more books.

I'm going to go check my library records now... lol

ChristinaTherese

Per Byz (who started this competition), the DEADLINE for posting books and/or pages read is... midnight on the 31st of August.... we are using the Phatmass clock, so adjust your sights if you are in a different time zone... you may have more or less time to finish your books!!!

AnneLine, I'm pretty sure that this was Byz's latest statement:

Hopefully this solution will fix things: Follow your local time zone, and after midnight in your time zone no posting.

This is not a final ruling. If it doesn't work, I'm still open to suggestions.

ChristinaTherese -- what did you think of Christy?   A simple song sounds interesting.....

I liked Christy.

The above total is 17,779.

Can I just put the total page total of the random books from amazon? or do the titles need to be listed as well?

I'm pretty sure that AnneLine wants titles listed individually with their specific page numbers.

And welcome back to PM, DtA! How have you been?

Deus te Amat

And welcome back to PM, DtA! How have you been?

Well, I'm drowning myself in fiction, if that tells you anything... although it is not that unusual for me so perhaps you shouldn't listen to what it tells you. :|

I'm doing pretty well, to be honest. :)

Deus te Amat

Found some more books in the other room.

The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice trilogy (Deborah Chester) -- 1,214

Seraphim (Michele Hauf) -- 504

The Iron Tree (Cecilia Dart-Thornton) -- 426

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery) -- 325

From the library: 

Finnikin of the Rock (Melina Marchetta) -- 416

Froi of the Exiles (ibid) -- 400 

Earth Girl (Janet Edwards) -- 350

The Demon King (Chima) -- 528

The Exiled Queen (ibid) -- 608

The Grey Wolf Throne (ibid) -- 544

The Wizard Heir (ibid) -- 480

The Warrior Heir (ibid) -- 448

Deus te Amat

More from the library:

Grave Mercy (Robin Lafevers) -- 560

Dark Triumph (ibid) -- 400

Fire (Kristin Cashore) -- 480

Bitterblue (ibid) -- 576

The Green Rider (Kristin Britain) -- 480

Mistborn (bk 1) (Brandon Sanderson) -- 672

The Alloy of Law (ibid) -- 416

Theft of Swords (Michael J. Sullivan) -- 704

Oh, and when I got home, the first thing I read was the Anne of Green gables books.... I'm not sure how many pages, as it was off of a kindle collection. Should we just say a thousand?

ChristinaTherese

Did you get home in the summer, or are these books from before the beginning of summer as well as during it?

Wow!  Heavens!

Welcome everyone!!!   Emily & DeusTeAmat, we are thrilled to have you join us!!!!!!

I will plan to re-issue page count late tonight or early tomorrow.... and again at the end of the competition.   WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Please do count books by titles... you can look up page numbers on Amazon if you don't have the book handy any longer.

I'll also take a REASONABLE estimate.

(The only reason we are requiring book titles is a few people tried to slip 'a billion books' past us... so we had to require titles... some people (ahem, Cartermia!) got creative and found lists on Wikipedia!

Thanks for clarifying that, ChristinaTherese!  I think we can count any books completed during the first week of this thread and any through 12 midnight in your time zone.  I can't speak for Byz, but I'll trust people and wait probably until some point over the labor day weekend to do my final page count.

DeusTeAmat, when I came home from the convent, I not only read every book I could get my hand on, I DEVOURED the ending of Robert Travers' Anatomy of a Murder... I had made the mistake of STARTING that one before I entered the convent, and we couldn't read anything like that while I was there.  I nearly went nuts wondering what the end would be!  (And it is a great read, by the way--although be warned -- adult themes!!!)

I also read every edition of Time Magazine for the time I was inside, because we couldn't read current news while I was there, and I felt like Rip Van Winkle... didn't know what people were talking about in conversations!!!!  (Obviously this was before the Internet!)

OK the trained monkeys and I will start counting pages in a little while.... with all your help, we may make that 100,000 page goal!!!!!

BYZ -- where are you!!!!!!!

language_arts_reading.gif

Deus te Amat

The total for the rest of the books on my kindle is 8,341. I'll list the names if you want me to, but I'm lazy. I think that total is from 24 more books.

I'm going to go check my library records now... lol

Wow!  Heavens!

Welcome everyone!!!   Emily & DeusTeAmat, we are thrilled to have you join us!!!!!!

I will plan to re-issue page count late tonight or early tomorrow.... and again at the end of the competition.   WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Please do count books by titles... you can look up page numbers on Amazon if you don't have the book handy any longer.

I'll also take a REASONABLE estimate.

(The only reason we are requiring book titles is a few people tried to slip 'a billion books' past us... so we had to require titles... some people (ahem, Cartermia!) got creative and found lists on Wikipedia!

DeusTeAmat, when I came home from the convent, I not only read every book I could get my hand on, I DEVOURED the ending of Robert Travers' Anatomy of a Murder... I had made the mistake of STARTING that one before I entered the convent, and we couldn't read anything like that while I was there.  I nearly went nuts wondering what the end would be!  (And it is a great read, by the way--although be warned -- adult themes!!!)

Can I just list the titles since I already went through and looked up the page numbers?

Deus te Amat

Problem. This thread was started on June 8th. I'm not sure what books I read the week before... 

Anne Line? 

Just figure you ended all those that week.  Don't sweat it... ;)

Sure, just list the titles... if I have questions, I'll let you know.

Ideally I'm looking for the name of a book and a page count if you want page counts counted.

Byz is looking for the name of a book.

Use common sense... and everyone will be happy.

BUT I do have to ask for the name & pages since that's what we required the others to do.  (Would be easier for me to just say 10K of pages in 16 books... but need to be fair to the others....)

Back to housework while listening to the Dracula audiobook... he he he!

Deus te Amat

Okay -- the total for all these was 8,341.... 

The Circle of Sorcerers (Brian Kittrell)

A Quest of Heroes (Morgan Rice) 

A March of Kings (ibid)

House of Blades (Will Wight)

Foundlings (Matthew Harding)

Tempest (R.K. Ryals)

Mark of the Mage (ibid)

The Cloud Prophet Trilogy (Megg Jensen)

There Will be Dragons (John Ringo)

The Unsuspecting Mage (Brian Pratt)

Magic of Thieves (C. Greenwood)

The Queen's Blade (T C Southwell)

Enchantress (James Maxwell)

Hunter's Academy (Garry Spoor)

Hunter's Beginning (ibid)

The Seventh Mountain (Gene Curtis)

The Assassin's Destiny (Kirsten Jones)

The Assassins Tale (ibid)

The Threshold Chile (Callie Kanno)

Hemlock and the Wizard Tower (Throwsnaill)

The Last Swordmage (Marin Hengst)

This is everything I bought before June 8th. So, it excludes the Anne books and about a thousand other pages. 

Wow.... so technically, to be fair to everone else, if you haven't already done so, look up the page counts on amazon for all those and I can add 'em to the list....

Good grief... the trained monkeys and I are going to be so busy we won't get OUR books finished at this rate!!!!!!

two-monkeys-reading-a-copy-of-Darwins-Or

Edited by AnneLine

Deus te Amat

I am becoming sick of myself. Hopefully this is the last post for awhile. :P 

Okay -- the total for all these was 8,341.... 

The Circle of Sorcerers (Brian Kittrell) -- 292

A Quest of Heroes (Morgan Rice) -- 346

A March of Kings (ibid) -- 222

House of Blades (Will Wight) -- 284

Foundlings (Matthew Harding) -- 256

Tempest (R.K. Ryals) -- 214

Mark of the Mage (ibid) -- 254

The Cloud Prophet Trilogy (Megg Jensen) -- 480

There Will be Dragons (John Ringo) -- 752

The Unsuspecting Mage (Brian Pratt) -- 322

Magic of Thieves (C. Greenwood) -- 191

The Queen's Blade (T C Southwell) -- 252

Enchantress (James Maxwell) -- 490

Hunter's Academy (Garry Spoor) -- 537 

Hunter's Beginning (ibid) -- 343

The Seventh Mountain (Gene Curtis) -- 284

The Assassin's Destiny (Kirsten Jones) -- 722

The Assassins Tale (ibid) -- 738

The Threshold Chile (Callie Kanno) -- 541

Hemlock and the Wizard Tower (Throwsnaill) -- 419

The Last Swordmage (Marin Hengst) -- 229

So, if I calculated correctly, that's 8,168.

Thank you!