An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Cartermia, if I were your confessor... and you did something really bad... hand over that library card.... :evil: :priest:

I didn't do anything that bad, but good thing my confessor doesn't know that I LOVE to read...

That might be a little understatement :bible:

:bible:

I'm glad I will not need to confiscate your card!!!!! :)  Keep it up!!!!

But.... if at one point you want to do some penance, or want to ask a special favor from God, close the books for a few hours.... and see what God does with it... ;)

And perhaps THIS belongs on this thread... he hehe

If you have ever worked with anyone who has never used a computer before, this is ESPECIALY funny....

Introducing... THE BOOK:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ[/media]

Edited by AnneLine

ChristinaTherese

AL, I love that video. One of my favorite professors showed it to my History of English class this last Spring, which was at least the third time I'd seen it. I just blurted out (I don't hold my tongue in class a lot, probably since I was homeschooled from 5th grade all the way through high school), "It's totally worth seeing a second time." when he said that "Some of you may have seen this before."

Thinking of him, he took a wonderful children's book to class one day to show us. Here's a video of a woman reading part of it (I don't think it goes on much longer, but there are at least a few more pages):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyApzqWjvRU

He was just going to pass it around, but we made him read it to us....  :evil: Then he stopped because there were other people around (including a class right across from us, I think) and the door was open.

ETA: How do I embed the video? I thought it would do that automatically....

Edited by Christina Thérèse

ARFink had to tell me how to embed videos.  They used to just do themselves, now dUSt makes us work!

You put this before the link

[media]

and this after the link

[/media]

but all on one line, without the spaces.  (I'm putting in the spaces so it won't turn into a video!)

[media] insert-the-link-for-video-here [/media]   <---like this but WITHOUT the spaces before and after the brackets and without the color changing....

Here's the video you wanted to imbed, imbedded!   (and it was fun, thank you Christina Therese!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyApzqWjvRU[/media]

Can we all count a few more pages now??? huh??? huh???? :evil:  

I Count 19 pages for reading Press Here by Henre Tullet

edit:  hmmm... video isn't loading... it's being ornry, isn't it.   Trying this again...

2nd edit:  well, your link at least was live... Not sure what is happening..... :doh:

3rd edit:  Humph, I guess it is starting to play by the rules now.... BROTHER!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Well, working on preparing the page count over here, and I have a few questions for Cartermia... want to get this done right!

I just included the new stuff you gave me, including

23,100 regular babysitters' club pages (131 books)

and

1,7500 Super BSC pages (7 books)

I'm still missing page counts for The Third Degree, Break and Enter and Book I of The Lost Years of Merlin.  So for now, those are counted as BOOK but not in page totals.

If you give me page counts, I will add those....

As of now, I show a terrifying

175 books read

and a

total page count of 36,009

This doesn't exactly match your totals, but it's close enough for me... and to blow everyone else out of the water.

Hoping to post this at some point in next 24 hours... will post these numbers unless you give me changes.

For all of us... it also means that, with a few more books read by others, we now have 408 documented books read and 77,900 pages read this summer!!!!  WOW!

Formal tallies coming soon.....

I just included the new stuff you gave me, including

23,100 regular babysitters' club pages (131 books)

and

1,7500 Super BSC pages (7 books)

That SHOULD have read, "1,750 Super BSC Pages (7 books)

sorry!   The Llama is embarrassed... :paperbag:

LittleWaySoul

Read the Scapular info AnneLine! Thanks so much for sharing! People need to be better informed on what wearing a scapular is all about before they decide to wear one. Too many people don't know what it really means (I was one of them before you shared this!). So thank you for sharing :)

Thanks you!    I did think it was funny a while back when someone suggested that that info must be wrong because it didn't match up with what he/she 'knew' was the correct info about the scapular.  Myself, I'll take the word of the people who run the order that owns the scapular!

And I think you can count those pages now....

Catholicterp7

Okay, I just got back from my family reunion in the Pocono Mountains and they have a library where we were staying! :yippee: :dance:  Plus it was a nine hour car ride one way so here goes. 

1 The Red Suit Diaries by Ed Butchart 217 pages 

2 Murder, She Wrote. Panning for Murder by Jessica Fletcher 276 pages 

3 Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark 223 pages 

4 Her Forbidden Knight by Rex Stout 248 pages

5 Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend by Laney Katz Becker 288 pages

6 One for Sorrow by Clive Woodall 150 pages

7 Two for Joy by Clive Woodall 172 pages 

8 The Seven Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn 125 pages 

9 The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson and Martin Dugald 407 pages 

10 The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas (The abridged version) 608 pages. 

Total book count thus far: 52. Total page count thus far: 5,907

Catholicterp7

Okay, I just got back from my family reunion in the Pocono Mountains and they have a library where we were staying! :yippee: :dance:  Plus it was a nine hour car ride one way so here goes. 

1 The Red Suit Diaries by Ed Butchart 217 pages 

2 Murder, She Wrote. Panning for Murder by Jessica Fletcher 276 pages 

3 Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark 223 pages 

4 Her Forbidden Knight by Rex Stout 248 pages

5 Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend by Laney Katz Becker 288 pages

6 One for Sorrow by Clive Woodall 150 pages

7 Two for Joy by Clive Woodall 172 pages 

8 The Seven Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn 125 pages 

9 The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson and Martin Dugald 407 pages 

10 The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas (The abridged version) 608 pages. 

Total book count thus far: 52. Total page count thus far: 5,907

I am grounding myself and not letting myself read any more books until I get the Lord of the Flies book report done...

Why do I love reading so much!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very proud of you, Cartermia!!!   Prayers for a quick & easy completion!   You OK with my page count? 

Celebrating my husband's birthday in AnneLine land, so won't be able to get new page tally up until probably Friday... so get your numbers in people....

xTrishaxLynnx

Well, they've temporarily cut my work hours almost in half, SO...

This week I finished:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - 592 pages (I "read" this in high school. Funny how I somehow missed more than half the story... :disguise: )

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - 384 pages

Working on:

METAtropolis  (compilation of stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, and Karl Schroeder) - 288 pages

Also, The Brethren by Beverly Lewis (Book 3 of Annie's People; couldn't remember the name before. :P ) was 352 pages.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

This upcoming week that board game expansion rule book should come in the mail.  Oh ya.  Release the Panic.