Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?


Recommended Posts

Spem in alium
Posted

I feel as though Phatmass is in need of a thread like this (maybe it already has one and I didn't know).

 

Anyway, I'm currently trying to take up an evening gown I plan to wear to a dinner next week. It's incredibly long for me (I worked out I would need to take off about five inches). The real difficulty in doing so is that it has a chiffon panel which is very slippery and seems in danger of tearing. Has anyone ever sewn this kind of material? Any tips or tricks? I may end up taking it to a tailor (I can sew, but I don't trust myself THAT much).

 

It would be cool to post new projects or things you get into as well, so we can compare :)

Posted

Ask Sylvana Imbris or Chrysophlax, they are my sisters, and both are exceptional seamstresses. PM them. :D

Spem in alium
Posted

Ask Sylvana Imbris or Chrysophlax, they are my sisters, and both are exceptional seamstresses. PM them. :D

 

Brilliant, thanks! I'll do that. :)

RCIA ~ Class of 09
Posted

I feel as though Phatmass is in need of a thread like this (maybe it already has one and I didn't know).

 

Anyway, I'm currently trying to take up an evening gown I plan to wear to a dinner next week. It's incredibly long for me (I worked out I would need to take off about five inches). The real difficulty in doing so is that it has a chiffon panel which is very slippery and seems in danger of tearing. Has anyone ever sewn this kind of material? Any tips or tricks? I may end up taking it to a tailor (I can sew, but I don't trust myself THAT much).

 

It would be cool to post new projects or things you get into as well, so we can compare :)

 

Hand sew the seam, that way you aren't in danger of ripping the fabric or it sliding around too much. Also, when you measure it make sure you are wearing the shoes you plan to wear with the dress and have someone else mark it.

 

If you aren't comfortable with hand sewing, then I would practice with the part of the fabric that you cut off, that way you get a feel for it before you are actually working on the dress itself (unless it's a blind hem in which case I would def hand sew).

RCIA ~ Class of 09
Posted

Great thread by the way! I love the idea of posting our projects on here and having an area that we can bounce ideas off each other and get help when we're stuck!!

Spem in alium
Posted

Hand sew the seam, that way you aren't in danger of ripping the fabric or it sliding around too much. Also, when you measure it make sure you are wearing the shoes you plan to wear with the dress and have someone else mark it.

 

If you aren't comfortable with hand sewing, then I would practice with the part of the fabric that you cut off, that way you get a feel for it before you are actually working on the dress itself (unless it's a blind hem in which case I would def hand sew).

 

I would definitely hand sew - the machine we have is fairly temperamental. I got my mum to pin it while I was wearing it with the shoes. Unfortunately we noticed a small hole close to the hem, and other parts of the panels seem to have been pulled. The dress was at a significant discount, so that's probably why. We can take it up enough so that it's not too short and the hole is not visible.

 

How would you go about cutting? I've never had to alter a dress before so am a bit unsure. My mum is quite skilled in dressmaking but even she's not totally certain she can do it.

 

Great thread by the way! I love the idea of posting our projects on here and having an area that we can bounce ideas off each other and get help when we're stuck!!

 

Haha, thanks! I love being crafty, so I really think it would be great to share ideas with other people who enjoy it also :) What kind of craftiness do you get up to?

TheLordsSouljah
Posted

Use heat-fuseable interfacing (iron on). It works a treat. It just gives that extra bit of strength to fabrics that stretch and tear. it's like 50 cents a metre or something from Spotlight and other places. Best of luck!! :)

Spem in alium
Posted

Use heat-fuseable interfacing (iron on). It works a treat. It just gives that extra bit of strength to fabrics that stretch and tear. it's like 50 cents a metre or something from Spotlight and other places. Best of luck!! :)

 

Oh, awesome! Thanks! I'm not sure how well the dress will go with ironing, but something like that would probably really help. I'll check it out :)

RCIA ~ Class of 09
Posted

I would definitely hand sew - the machine we have is fairly temperamental. I got my mum to pin it while I was wearing it with the shoes. Unfortunately we noticed a small hole close to the hem, and other parts of the panels seem to have been pulled. The dress was at a significant discount, so that's probably why. We can take it up enough so that it's not too short and the hole is not visible.

 

How would you go about cutting? I've never had to alter a dress before so am a bit unsure. My mum is quite skilled in dressmaking but even she's not totally certain she can do it.

 

 

Haha, thanks! I love being crafty, so I really think it would be great to share ideas with other people who enjoy it also :) What kind of craftiness do you get up to?

 

Before you start: Make sure that your pins are either brand new or sharpened because you want the point to be extra sharp so it doesn't catch the fabric and make a run in it. Also, the pins should be the skinniest ones you can find.

 

 

What I do is a put pins in where I want the new hemline to be spaced approximately 2 - 3 inches from each other all the way around.

 

Then I after I've removed the garment I lay it out flat and place my rotary cutting pad in between the fabric but positioned so that it is directly underneath the pins. This way it's nice and flat and I can push pins through the material without resistance from the table, carpet, etc. With this type of material I would suggest putting tissue paper between the rotary cutting board and the fabric (you'll pin the tissue paper to the material so it will be more stabilized when you cut.

 

Then I figure out my seam allowance (typically on that type of fabric you would want to use a French Seam most likely...If you need instructions let me know :) ). After you know how much you need for the seam allowance (let's say it's 1/2 inch) then measure 1/2 inch down from the push pins and start pinning around (making sure you are pinning tissue paper too).

 

Then before I cut I pick up the garment lightly shaking it out (like when your doing laundry you might shake the fabric before you fold it) and then I lay it back out so it's completely flat. Then I smooth it out and make sure tissue paper is flat.

 

Then I cut (better to use those zig-zag scissors as opposed to straight edge, but if you don't have them just make sure your straight edge are sharp). I cut in a straight line from the original hem straight up to the lower set of push pins and then follow them around. Then remove the push pins and sew :)

 

Regarding the hole there are some decorative things you could do to cover it up, but I'd need you to send me a picture so I could make a better suggestion.

 

Regarding my craftiness: I am a seamstress, I knit and crochet, and I dabble in some other crafts too (like I made the wreath for our front door, or occasionally I'll make some jewelry or something). But I own a business sewing baby items and then I also do commissioned work when asked.

Spem in alium
Posted

Thanks so much, they're wonderful steps :) Mum's fairly hesitant to cut it, but I know that it will probably need to be cut if I take it to a tailor, plus the hem would be quite bulky if we didn't cut anything.  The hole is fairly small and may well be in the part we cut or hem. I'll post about how things turn out.

 

Oh, great! I knit a little, sew, paint, draw and do some calligraphy and scrapbooking. Jewellery making's pretty fun. It's pretty cool you have your own business too! :)

 

Spem in alium
Posted

Yesterday I took the dress to get altered. I would really have liked to be able to do it myself, especially as there probably wouldn't have been as significant a cost, but I wasn't very confident about cutting the hem and ensuring it was straight. I get it back on Thursday, just in time for my flights :)

 

In the meantime I'm hoping to do some scrapbooking and card crafts :)

Posted

Hey, Spem and all,

 

You all beat me to my suggestions (tissue, fusible interfacing).... but my final suggestion would have been to take it to the dressmaker.  Because.... if it is that special, you want someone who does specialty work.   Slinky stuff is a bear to sew under any circumstances, but something like that... I wouldn't want to risk it.

 

I haven't done much last few years (just out of time, more than anything) but I enjoy sewing, embroidery and crewel work, and other kinds of arts and crafts.  When I do it I remember how much I enjoy it.  But I forget how much I enjoy it when time goes by.....

 

One thing I have found SUPER WONDERFUL about the internet is that there are so many 'how to' videos available... and other resources.   If I get stuck on a project, if I search 'video' and the key words, I can almost always find a link to something that will help me.....

 

And then, there is the Husqvarna-Viking 'sewing tutorials' -- these are AMAZING!!!!!   They are step-by-step (literally pin by pin!) tutorials on how to do various sewing things.   Check them out -- they saved my rump more times than I want to think of when doing something I hadn't ever done (or hadn't done in 40 years....)

 

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/mediafiles/sewingroom/sewingroom_us.asp

 

 

 

 

Posted

My grandmother is my "home education teacher". She has taught me how to sew and embroider. My mom is my art teacher at my school so I am pretty good at water color, but my specialty is pointillism. 

 

Here are some pictures:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

049.JPG

 

Posted

more photos

054.JPG

 

 

055.JPG

Posted

051.JPG

 

 

 

Posted

051.JPG

 

 

 

Posted

051.JPG

 

 

 

Posted

051.JPG

 

 

 

Spem in alium
Posted

Hey, Spem and all,

 

You all beat me to my suggestions (tissue, fusible interfacing).... but my final suggestion would have been to take it to the dressmaker.  Because.... if it is that special, you want someone who does specialty work.   Slinky stuff is a bear to sew under any circumstances, but something like that... I wouldn't want to risk it.

 

I haven't done much last few years (just out of time, more than anything) but I enjoy sewing, embroidery and crewel work, and other kinds of arts and crafts.  When I do it I remember how much I enjoy it.  But I forget how much I enjoy it when time goes by.....

 

One thing I have found SUPER WONDERFUL about the internet is that there are so many 'how to' videos available... and other resources.   If I get stuck on a project, if I search 'video' and the key words, I can almost always find a link to something that will help me.....

 

And then, there is the Husqvarna-Viking 'sewing tutorials' -- these are AMAZING!!!!!   They are step-by-step (literally pin by pin!) tutorials on how to do various sewing things.   Check them out -- they saved my rump more times than I want to think of when doing something I hadn't ever done (or hadn't done in 40 years....)

 

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/mediafiles/sewingroom/sewingroom_us.asp

 

Thanks, AnneLine! I'm very excited to get it back. I love sewing and embroidery very much - I've made a few bags and cushions, and a couple of quilts. My mum is a keen quilter and very good with a needle and thread, so I've learnt a lot from her. 

Wow! I'll check out that website too - I'm sure it will come in handy :)

 

 

 

 

049.JPG

 

 

051.JPG

 

Carter, I especially love these. The rooster is beautiful. And the colours you used in your work are great!

 

I'm working on some calligraphy and drawing at the moment, so will post when I'm done :)

Catholicterp7
Posted

currently frogging sweaters to make this for my niece for her birthday http://www.spudandchloe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/CrochetFlower.pdf. I'm also working on a slouchy hat for myself but I left it at my brother and sister in law's house :( 

I'm also hoping to start this for myself http://www.spudandchloe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Rosie.pdf as well as an nice big rectangle wrap once I finish frogging my black wool and alpeca blend sweater that I got for a buck fifty at a thrift store :woot: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...