An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

And sometimes experiments (well, it wasn't an experiment exactly, but I'd never had it before because I just kind of came up with it) turn out very well, like tonight. I just sauteed onions, celery, garlic, and carrots, and then added some radishes that had (already peeled) been boiling lightly or at least sitting on the stove in hot water, added chicken hearts and spices (parsley, oregano, and salt), and let it sit until the chicken hearts were cooked. It's a bit salty, but very good.

True. That sounds lovely! I'm particularly intrigued by the chicken hearts as I've never tried them. How do they taste?

It took me about 4-5 hours on the Surplice, about 3 days on the Cassock and 2 weeks on the embroidery. I work pretty quickly and when I start a project I just nock it out with few breaks for even eating or sleeping. Mass and Classes are about the only thing that take me away from a project.

That's very quick indeed. Have you made many vestments in the past? It's good that you have such dedication.

I haven't been so crafty since classes picked up again, but I do try and take some time out when I can with drawing and occasionally cooking or baking a meal. My scrapbook is progressing very slowly but I'm getting some new ideas. At the moment, most of my creative energy is being used in writing - random thoughts, prayers, poems; whatever, really!

ChristinaTherese

True. That sounds lovely! I'm particularly intrigued by the chicken hearts as I've never tried them. How do they taste?

I don't know how to describe tastes, really. But they're very good. The first time I had them was at a Brazilian grill, similar to an Argentine asado (except that asados are not just food, but include plenty of plain old family/friend social time as well, and although you can get some of that at a restaurant it certainly isn't the same as spending basically the whole day), where they would bring out meat on spits fresh from the kitchen and give you as much as you wanted. Not to mention, they're not expensive meat. And they're pretty versatile meat, I think, and come in small sizes and provide anatomical fun if such is your wont.

ChristinaTherese

The only thing we use gizzards for is broth.... Since they are (or so my mom says, I've never tried to eat them myself, except perhaps after they have spent a very long time boiling to make broth) as you say, CM.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

Spem in alium

I don't know how to describe tastes, really. But they're very good. The first time I had them was at a Brazilian grill, similar to an Argentine asado (except that asados are not just food, but include plenty of plain old family/friend social time as well, and although you can get some of that at a restaurant it certainly isn't the same as spending basically the whole day), where they would bring out meat on spits fresh from the kitchen and give you as much as you wanted. Not to mention, they're not expensive meat. And they're pretty versatile meat, I think, and come in small sizes and provide anatomical fun if such is your wont.

They do sound good. Though I don't think they're very popular (or even eaten) here, as I've never heard of them around. Are they common where you are?

Chicken hearts are good, but fried gizzards are shut mouth.

I've never had gizzards either! Though they would be interesting to try. Are they also popular?
Many people here seem to be very cautious with their meat and offal. I love eating lamb's liver on occasion (and to a lesser extent kidneys), and you can get them VERY cheap in the supermarkets here. But a lot of people I know find it repulsive. Ah well, more for the liver lovers!

ChristinaTherese

They do sound good. Though I don't think they're very popular (or even eaten) here, as I've never heard of them around. Are they common where you are?

I've never had gizzards either! Though they would be interesting to try. Are they also popular?
Many people here seem to be very cautious with their meat and offal. I love eating lamb's liver on occasion (and to a lesser extent kidneys), and you can get them VERY cheap in the supermarkets here. But a lot of people I know find it repulsive. Ah well, more for the liver lovers!

I'm a half breed, so I don't know exactly if they're common around here. And I'm not sure about Argentina (where my mom grew up) either.... But I don't think they're particularly common here, since I don't think that they're in more than one store around here and I think I was surprised to find them even there.

Gizzards, I'm pretty sure aren't at all common. I think they're pretty tough, too. But they put a good flavor in broth....

On the random meats topic, have you ever had beef tongue? It's very good, and does well after spending all day in a crockpot with just some vegetables and water. (I think it makes good broth, too, although not nearly as much as if you used a smaller meat that you didn't care about eating.)

Spem in alium

I'm a half breed, so I don't know exactly if they're common around here. And I'm not sure about Argentina (where my mom grew up) either.... But I don't think they're particularly common here, since I don't think that they're in more than one store around here and I think I was surprised to find them even there.

Gizzards, I'm pretty sure aren't at all common. I think they're pretty tough, too. But they put a good flavor in broth....

On the random meats topic, have you ever had beef tongue? It's very good, and does well after spending all day in a crockpot with just some vegetables and water. (I think it makes good broth, too, although not nearly as much as if you used a smaller meat that you didn't care about eating.)

I see. Both do sound interesting though!

I think I may have had beef tongue once. That way of cooking sounds beautiful! I love slow-cooked meals.

When I was in the US I tried venison for the first time - in chili con carne. Very enjoyable. 

What would be the strangest food you've ever had (seeing as we're getting onto this topic anyway)? :)

ChristinaTherese

Sweet breads. Hands down. It isn't what it sounds like (sweet bread), its the (I think) adrenal glands of cows. Very good wrapped in bacon and broiled (there's more preparation than that, but I don't know what exactly) and they used to be our traditional Thanksgiving dinner until we had too much trouble finding them.

How would you answer?

Spem in alium

Sweet breads. Hands down. It isn't what it sounds like (sweet bread), its the (I think) adrenal glands of cows. Very good wrapped in bacon and broiled (there's more preparation than that, but I don't know what exactly) and they used to be our traditional Thanksgiving dinner until we had too much trouble finding them.

How would you answer?

Wow. I would never have guessed! It sounds beautiful. What do they taste like?

Hmmm. I would probably have to say that eating cow's tendon was an experience. I also like eel. People think I'm crazy to eat it, but it's actually quite nice. 

Eel... hm... that is one of the traditional '7 fishes' for the Christmas Eve meal in Italy.  Never tried it.

I like goat... which freaks some people out...

Ah sweetbreads.  I have never eaten them but know people who swear by them.

Part of the issue is that at least here in USA, they sometimes are the adrenal glands... and sometimes they are...

well... uh... the private parts from a bull.   Yup.   And people who like the taste of them LOVE them...

So if one or the other is a n issue, I'd be sure to check which you are preparing to enjoy....

Which reminds me of a segment of the Edwardian Farm videos when they are going through butchering one of their bulls, and the poor archeologist who is the 'farmer' on the series just about passed out when the butcher talks about prepping those.... it really was a pretty funny moment in the video ... the look on his face... went totally green in front of the camera .... but it is just the reality.....

I like pork tongue, but it is hard to find.  It IS tasty, however.  

One of my friends from college had a roommate who liked to use brains in her homemade raviolis.  She insisted they gave it the best flavor.  She was probably right.... just sounds odd to those who haven't grown up with this, I guess...

Until last 50 years or so, people literally ate 'nose to tail' -- we have forgotten that our meat HAS a nose and tail.... and those who remember and get upset turn into vegans....

My uncle is a cattle farmer and he gives us meat and it is from the nose to the tail... very good though

Spem in alium

Eel is really nice in sushi. That's how I usually eat it. I have had goat once, but probably wouldn't have it again! 

Fish brain is apparently really good. My grandfather and my father both enjoy eating the head of the fish. The meat there is really tender. I'm just happy to stick with the rest of the body...they can have the head!

I love ossobuco and don't mind oxtail either. My mother makes an amazing ossobuco casserole.

A big meat here is lamb. When I was in the States I didn't see it anywhere. My family does rear lambs for sale and sometimes keep a couple for ourselves, though we only really get the choice cuts - along with the liver, because we love it :)

ChristinaTherese

Ossobuco is wonderful! When we have it in meat, my mom and I (and my brother, but he's in NY now) spread it on bread and split it.

As far as craftiness, I only have one quilt block left. I also have almost everything planned out for piecing the top and quilting, so everything should be set up for quilting by the end of next week. (I'm visiting my grandmother, whose mother started the whole thing, next weekend (I don't know which day), so I want to be able to show her. But I could always show her two weeks later, since we visit her every other week....)

Spem in alium

Ossobuco is wonderful! When we have it in meat, my mom and I (and my brother, but he's in NY now) spread it on bread and split it.

As far as craftiness, I only have one quilt block left. I also have almost everything planned out for piecing the top and quilting, so everything should be set up for quilting by the end of next week. (I'm visiting my grandmother, whose mother started the whole thing, next weekend (I don't know which day), so I want to be able to show her. But I could always show her two weeks later, since we visit her every other week....)

Ah, that sounds like a beautiful way of eating it :) Shall have to try.

Wow! It sounds like you have made great progress. Keep it up - and if you'd like and are able, please feel free to post a photo or two! I'm interested in seeing your work, as I'm sure others are too.

I am trying to be a little more crafty this week. I'm seeing my Spiritual Director on Thursday and she's asked me to bring some of my drawings. I'll either have to hunt around for some or make some new ones. I'm also thinking I'll take some of my calligraphy too, as I enjoy that.