Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?


Recommended Posts

ChristinaTherese
Posted

Anyone have ideas of what I could make with a nice batik that used to be a skirt? It's too weak of a fabric, and keeps popping holes in the butt, but it's only a year and a half old or so and most of the fabric is still quite usable. Not to mention, there were something like 5 yards of fabric used to make the thing, and it's a gorgeous fabric (blue/green/etc. with birds). Right now I'm thinking of making a shirt. I have more fabric than that, and I've never made a shirt without a pattern before, but I guess it's worth a shot and I could sure use one if I could make it. I don't know... I feel like I'm just babbling anyway right now.

maximillion
Posted

I am not a sewer or I would help out, but I wish you luck with it.

 

I have done textiles for years, mainly dyeing my own fabrics and have yards and yards of gorgeous stuff I have never used.......

CatherineM
Posted

Get a shirt pattern.

RCIA ~ Class of 09
Posted

Anyone have ideas of what I could make with a nice batik that used to be a skirt? It's too weak of a fabric, and keeps popping holes in the butt, but it's only a year and a half old or so and most of the fabric is still quite usable. Not to mention, there were something like 5 yards of fabric used to make the thing, and it's a gorgeous fabric (blue/green/etc. with birds). Right now I'm thinking of making a shirt. I have more fabric than that, and I've never made a shirt without a pattern before, but I guess it's worth a shot and I could sure use one if I could make it. I don't know... I feel like I'm just babbling anyway right now.

 

There are some beautiful batik quilt ideas. You could use the skirt as the main fabric and most fabric stores have additional batik fabrics to enhance it :)

ChristinaTherese
Posted

What I'm going to do is try to get a clothing design prof to let me use a mannequin, if that would help. (Anything is better than pinning, changing and looking in the mirror, and back again. All the while, of course, trying not to stick myself with pins in the process. That process is why I don't enjoy fixing up dress and shirt patterns to my liking. Necklines are always tough that way.) And maybe I could tickle her fancy enough to get some advice too.... Anyway. I'm crazy. (And what I could use is a shirt, so a shirt it will be, no matter how difficult shirts might be to make. And an apron, if the leftovers are enough and will work.)

Posted

or a really nice pillow cover..... even put the material into several small ones that you could use as throw pillows....

 

pillows.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
ChristinaTherese
Posted

I finished the shirt today!

brandelynmarie
Posted

I so wish I was a crafty minx :(

maximillion
Posted

My mum taught me to knit and crochet when I had tonsillitis when I was seven.

 

She sat me in front of the sewing machine at eight.

 

I made my first cross stitch sampler at nine.

 

At ten I won the school prize for literature and craft!

 

But I can't make a shirt or a skirt of even hem something that well.

Spem in alium
Posted

I finished the shirt today!

Please post a picture! :)

I've been writing a novel with my youngest sister. We're currently on hiatus, but I've been enjoying it so far. Also planning to knit a scarf for a friend who's doing an exchange to MN later this year.

  • 9 months later...
HopefulHeart
Posted

I am currently crocheting a pair of socks for myself. I made a pair a couple of years ago and was pretty impressed by the results, so I want to make more. 

Not A Mallard
Posted

What do you need in the sewer?

 

Posted

I am currently making two new quilts! A scottie dog pattern and a random pattern that I created. 

HopefulHeart
Posted

I'm almost done with the first sock of the pair I am crocheting! It looks good so far. I will post a picture when I finish it. :)

Posted

I have an idea for an apron that I want to make for in the garden. Usually I fold the ends of the apron to make a type of basket so I can put the bean, tomatoes, et cetera down in it. Instead of folding it I am thinking of making the bottom part into a big pocket type thing. I would probably make it out of sometime of denim (I think at least) and I don't think it should be to hard! Any suggestions? I have never made an apron before, so wish me luck!

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

That sounds like a great idea! Aprons are usually one of the easier things to sew, because the "fit" isn't as important.

Denim is a good choice because it is sturdy, and should work better at handling the weight of your vegetables from the garden versus other fabrics. If you have a choice of different weights of denim fabric, you probably want to pick the heaviest weight available. Often, when making clothes (such as skirts) out of denim, it makes sense to pick a lighter weight of denim so that the skirt isn't too bulky. But, for an apron like the one you're describing, I'd think the sturdiest fabric might be the best.

Also, when you sew the seams of any part of the apron that will hold weight, you may want to "double sew" many of the seams to make them stronger. (I know that "double sew" isn't the right term, but I hope you know what I mean.) Strengthening the seams would probably apply not only to the "basket" part of the apron, but also higher up on the apron (depending on the design) so that none of the seams break from the weight of the items you might carry.

Sorry if these suggestions are too obvious--you've almost certainly already thought of them. It's been a LONG time since I've made an apron. Perhaps one of the other "crafty minxes" has a suggestion for an apron pattern they particularly like. Also, there may be other "engineering" factors to take into consideration, such as what the ideal depth of the "basket" part of the apron might be. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with an apron designed to be able to hold weight.

LOL--When I first saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the same meaning of "sewer" as Not A Mallard did. Obviously, my mind is not just "in the gutter," but even lower down in the "pipe hierarchy." Note: I REALLY want to use the "paperbag" emo here, but with the new software, my computer still won't let me use emos in my posts. Whenever I try to use an emo, and click on "Submit Reply," I get the dreaded "404 Error" screen. (I wonder if a "404 Error" is a venial or a mortal error. :-> )  <------I might need to go back and re-learn the "old-fashioned" emos we used to use before the fancy ones were invented. Some of them were very creative.

 

Posted

Thanks Ignatius! I hadn't though of doing the double stitch (I knew what you meant, but I don't know what it is called either.) I am thinking if I have the end of the apron go about five inches above my knees then it should not get too heavy. Also I might have the strap instead of going around my neck to have a criss-cross (x shaped) in the back to spread the weight out. I could see all the weight on a neck strap causing neck problems later or something. I will probably play around with it, I want to make two of them (one for my house and one for at my grandparents.)

HopefulHeart
Posted

I finished the first sock! :) Now for the second one.

CqzhBGF.jpg?1

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...