An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I am working on http://www.emblibrary.com/el/products.aspx?Catalog=Emblibrary&ProductID=f8902 and also the letter E for my sisters... 

They are going to be going off to college next August so my grandmother and I are going to make pillow covers for them.  I am going to do them hand stitched instead of machine so I don't know how that will go... :pm:

So beautiful! How's it going?

• 1 month later...
Spem in alium

Going into minx overdrive now that Christmas is coming - churning out decorations and may rustle up some food too! 'Tis the season! Do share any Christmas projects :)

ChristinaTherese

I made a kind of triptych poem card thing for my grandmother. I wrote a poem on three 3x5 cards, then taped them together, then took some pretty pink paper, cut it down, crumpled it up and smoothed it out, glued it to the back of the card thing, and wrote faith, hope, and love one on the back of each card. The poem centered around that concept, so I thought it would be a nice, practically free, thing to do for her. The poem came from a book by Mother M. Francis, PCC. I could post it here if you want. I just sent it with a letter because she's recovering from injury.

ETA: And it's nice to see this thread come up again!

Edited by Christina Thérèse

xTrishaxLynnx

Going into minx overdrive now that Christmas is coming - churning out decorations and may rustle up some food too! 'Tis the season! Do share any Christmas projects :)

I'm making all-natural soap, body wash, shampoo, lotion, lip balm, perfume sticks, etc. as gifts. Then I am going to try making homemade toothpaste, deodorant, laundry "detergent," fabric softener, dish soap, and other cleaners without all the crud they put in most of the store-bought stuff.

Ok finished one set of mittens (for my sister). Now onto presents for my mom, matching mittens and a cute scarf. My mom showed me the pattern and then a couple days later mentioned that she would like one. I love when people clearly tell me what they want for Christmas! Then after that a set of mittens for my sister's fiance. Lots of knitting!!

I'm making a new case for my mum's tablet at the moment.

I've also got a cross-stitch to complete for my boss that she gave me two years ago. Ooops. :hehe:

I'm making all-natural soap, body wash, shampoo, lotion, lip balm, perfume sticks, etc. as gifts. Then I am going to try making homemade toothpaste, deodorant, laundry "detergent," fabric softener, dish soap, and other cleaners without all the crud they put in most of the store-bought stuff.

That sounds really interesting! I've heard of making soap before but not the other stuff. 

So beautiful! How's it going?

I actually haven't started but I think I might start this weekend. I am also trying to quilt a quilt I am making for my mother.

For Christmas, I am going to give a girl who has leukemia and who also goes to my grandparent's church a lap throw and I am going to tie it.

• 3 weeks later...
Spem in alium

For Christmas, I am going to give a girl who has leukemia and who also goes to my grandparent's church a lap throw and I am going to tie it.

That is beautiful, Carter :)

I have been very minx-like lately with Christmas presents! I'm working on a clutch/cosmetic bag for a friend and also made some cards which I'm fairly happy with (I'll upload photos of these). I'd like to make some earrings too, as I have heaps of beads and oddments lying around. 

xTrishaxLynnx

That is beautiful, Carter :)

I have been very minx-like lately with Christmas presents! I'm working on a clutch/cosmetic bag for a friend and also made some cards which I'm fairly happy with (I'll upload photos of these). I'd like to make some earrings too, as I have heaps of beads and oddments lying around. 

Yes, would love too see pictures!

Here's a photo of a few of the things I made recently:

Vapor rubs in the amber jars in back, lip balm in the tubes and mini jars. They're mostly still liquid at this point.

sl8o.jpg

Lip balms and perfume sticks (new tubes in front) mostly done cooling, vapor rub beginning to gel up.

1oft.jpg

Spem in alium

Here are my cards (I hope the link works, if not I'll try another way). :) I bought a few different kinds of paper and some stickers and spent a large part of yesterday making them. I've done about 20 so far and have made up some little gift packs for friends. Some have quotes I've written inside, others are blank. So much fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61308165@N03/

Oh, and excuse my hand in some of the images - the camera I was using was a little annoying!

Edited by Spem in alium

xTrishaxLynnx

Beautiful, Trisha! Any particular flavours or scents? 

The perfume sticks are orange vanilla, the lip balms are peppermint, and the vapor rub is a mixture of eucalyptus, rosemary, and a few drops of some other essential oils. I'm going to be experimenting with making more scents and flavors in each batch now that I've got a few of the recipes the way I want them. I also made peppermint foaming hand soap, lavender vanilla lotion (which came out too oily :( ) and lavender vanilla shampoo/body wash, which I think turned out wonderfully. :)

Here are my cards (I hope the link works, if not I'll try another way). :) I bought a few different kinds of paper and some stickers and spent a large part of yesterday making them. I've done about 20 so far and have made up some little gift packs for friends. Some have quotes I've written inside, others are blank. So much fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61308165@N03/

Oh, and excuse my hand in some of the images - the camera I was using was a little annoying!

Those are fantastic! :) I love the layers and the patterns you chose, especially the damask pattern.

Spem in alium

The perfume sticks are orange vanilla, the lip balms are peppermint, and the vapor rub is a mixture of eucalyptus, rosemary, and a few drops of some other essential oils. I'm going to be experimenting with making more scents and flavors in each batch now that I've got a few of the recipes the way I want them. I also made peppermint foaming hand soap, lavender vanilla lotion (which came out too oily :( ) and lavender vanilla shampoo/body wash, which I think turned out wonderfully. :)

Those are fantastic! :) I love the layers and the patterns you chose, especially the damask pattern.

Wow, you have a beautiful range of scents and flavours! And products too! Lavender vanilla sounds heavenly :) How long does each (perfume sticks, lip balm and vapor rub) take to make?

Oh, and also wanted to ask - when did you first start making these? It sounds so much fun, and I don't often come across people who make their own lip balm, vapor rub, soap and shampoo!

Thank you! I had a lot of fun making them, especially choosing the designs. I ended up making three packs (one with 10 cards, 2 with 5). I have made cards in the past, but not as gifts in themselves, and so I tried to get a range of styles and occasions in each pack. I love the damask pattern too! Probably my favourite one. Thankfully I still have a bit left so can keep being crafty with it :)

Edited by Spem in alium