An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

ChristinaTherese

Anyone have ideas of what I could make with a nice batik that used to be a skirt? It's too weak of a fabric, and keeps popping holes in the butt, but it's only a year and a half old or so and most of the fabric is still quite usable. Not to mention, there were something like 5 yards of fabric used to make the thing, and it's a gorgeous fabric (blue/green/etc. with birds). Right now I'm thinking of making a shirt. I have more fabric than that, and I've never made a shirt without a pattern before, but I guess it's worth a shot and I could sure use one if I could make it. I don't know... I feel like I'm just babbling anyway right now.

maximillion

I am not a sewer or I would help out, but I wish you luck with it.

I have done textiles for years, mainly dyeing my own fabrics and have yards and yards of gorgeous stuff I have never used.......

RCIA ~ Class of 09

Anyone have ideas of what I could make with a nice batik that used to be a skirt? It's too weak of a fabric, and keeps popping holes in the butt, but it's only a year and a half old or so and most of the fabric is still quite usable. Not to mention, there were something like 5 yards of fabric used to make the thing, and it's a gorgeous fabric (blue/green/etc. with birds). Right now I'm thinking of making a shirt. I have more fabric than that, and I've never made a shirt without a pattern before, but I guess it's worth a shot and I could sure use one if I could make it. I don't know... I feel like I'm just babbling anyway right now.

There are some beautiful batik quilt ideas. You could use the skirt as the main fabric and most fabric stores have additional batik fabrics to enhance it :)

ChristinaTherese

What I'm going to do is try to get a clothing design prof to let me use a mannequin, if that would help. (Anything is better than pinning, changing and looking in the mirror, and back again. All the while, of course, trying not to stick myself with pins in the process. That process is why I don't enjoy fixing up dress and shirt patterns to my liking. Necklines are always tough that way.) And maybe I could tickle her fancy enough to get some advice too.... Anyway. I'm crazy. (And what I could use is a shirt, so a shirt it will be, no matter how difficult shirts might be to make. And an apron, if the leftovers are enough and will work.)

or a really nice pillow cover..... even put the material into several small ones that you could use as throw pillows....

pillows.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
maximillion

My mum taught me to knit and crochet when I had tonsillitis when I was seven.

She sat me in front of the sewing machine at eight.

I made my first cross stitch sampler at nine.

At ten I won the school prize for literature and craft!

But I can't make a shirt or a skirt of even hem something that well.

Spem in alium

I finished the shirt today!

Please post a picture! :)

I've been writing a novel with my youngest sister. We're currently on hiatus, but I've been enjoying it so far. Also planning to knit a scarf for a friend who's doing an exchange to MN later this year.

• 9 months later...
HopefulHeart

I am currently crocheting a pair of socks for myself. I made a pair a couple of years ago and was pretty impressed by the results, so I want to make more. 

HopefulHeart

I'm almost done with the first sock of the pair I am crocheting! It looks good so far. I will post a picture when I finish it. :)

I have an idea for an apron that I want to make for in the garden. Usually I fold the ends of the apron to make a type of basket so I can put the bean, tomatoes, et cetera down in it. Instead of folding it I am thinking of making the bottom part into a big pocket type thing. I would probably make it out of sometime of denim (I think at least) and I don't think it should be to hard! Any suggestions? I have never made an apron before, so wish me luck!