An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life After College 4: Musings & Revelations

MissyP89

Thanks, Phil. It really is all good ... I'm just still coming to terms with the idea that my new life with Brian will look radically different from my life here. You got a very good glimpse into my family life and would probably understand when I say there are moments it feels easier to just stay here forever by the fire. Shaking off complacency is probably one of the trickier parts of adulthood for me.

I'm feeling a little better now. If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that preparing for marriage is really, truly, honestly changing my heart. It's crazy and frankly not very comfortable. But I'm encouraged that if I can stay the course and work hard at this stuff, there's something brilliant on the other side.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Pre-Cana really couldn't have come at a better time for us. Please pray.

Is engagement really supposed to make us sweat and stretch and struggle this much? Some days I worry, and other days I feel like this is phenomenal prep for the real thing. 

I wanted to give you props for this post, but I've temporarily run out of props.

I have been through Catholic Pre-Cana classes (in my case it was Engaged Encounter--does that still exist?). To me, if your Pre-Cana class made you stretch and struggle and sweat, then it was mostly likely a good class in the first place, and second, the two of you obviously took the class seriously.

So, yes, it sounds as if your Pre-Cana class was good prep for the "real thing." Obviously, not every minute of marriage is going to be intense and difficult, but, despite what others may say about the "honeymoon period" in your first year of marriage, the first year is usually the opposite at least some of the time. No matter how much you love someone, there ARE serious adjustments you have to make when you start living together, and sometimes they aren't fun adjustments. That makes you normal. That also means you are taking your marriage seriously, which is a necessity for a marriage that not only "goes the distance," but is a good marriage that brings out the best in both of you.

Hang in there. On the "stress charts," engagement is one of the most stressful times of your life. Even change that is basically a good, fun one is stressful if it is a big change. However, the "groundwork" you are doing now is going to pay off in the long term. Just try to forget the "fairy tales." There WILL be "fairytale" moments, but with some exceptions, the most special memorable moments will often be moments that are unplanned and unexpected. That makes them even more special. That doesn't mean your wedding, reception, and honeymoon won't be great and filled with "fairytale" moments. It's just that there will also be some stress (maybe big stress, depending on the circumstances) and some difficult times mixed in. Marriage IS a big adjustment, and if sometimes engagement feels "strange" that means you are normal. It doesn't mean your love your fiance any less or that there is something wrong with you or the marriage.

• 3 weeks later...

$150 worth of NFP materials have descended on my home. Holy moly!

And my honey has the flu. He won't be coming home this weekend.

14 months until we are DONE with this silliness. I just want to be up there making him toast.  :unsure:

I hope Brian is feeling better!

$150 of NFP materials sounds like a LOT of Lenten Reading!

We will send him virtual toast (you) and chicken soup (me) and he will get better soon!   He is virtually healed right now!!

$150 worth of NFP materials have descended on my home. Holy moly!

And my honey has the flu. He won't be coming home this weekend.

14 months until we are DONE with this silliness. I just want to be up there making him toast.  :unsure:

I know that "JUST LET IT BE DONE!" feeling. We're also starting NFP. Slowly.

I was actually impressed with how comprehensive the package is. It's got books and CDs and worksheets and a thermometer and ALL THE THINGS.

I'm also going to order "Taking Charge of Your Fertility," which is basically sympto-thermal NFP but they advocate using condoms during fertile times. I think since it's an entirely secular resource, my family would be more open to the idea that it does work. 

Edited by MissyP89

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I'm also going to order "Taking Charge of Your Fertility," which is basically sympto-thermal NFP but they advocate using condoms during fertile times. I think since it's an entirely secular resource, my family would be more open to the idea that it does work.

My parents get that book for people as a wedding gift. ;)

My parents get that book for people as a wedding gift. ;)

I'm entirely unsurprised. I got my matron of honor "Holy Sex" on her wedding day and she already had it. :hehe: So I'm hanging onto it for safe keeping. ;) It's not exactly conducive to chastity.

Edited by MissyP89

Putting the finishing touches on my March 26th issue today and making tons of appointments during Easter week:

April 21: Meeting with the deacon's wife

April 22: Trying to meet with our marrying priest

April 23: NFP session 1, driving to Long Island afterward

April 25: Meeting with the student housing office in Long Island

AND that week is deadline week for my April 30th issue. So I have to bring my laptop to New York. INSANITY.  

Edited by MissyP89

Went to see the deacon's wife for the first time in 3 months today.

I feel like a warrior princess now. Woman's AMAZING.

• 4 weeks later...

Wedding dress, check! And the price was incredible. So excited. Brian's gonna pass out. 

A prayer request, for any reading: I have a series of important meetings going down the week after Easter, especially Thursday the 24th. We're going to talk to Brian's school about allowing us to skip the housing wait list so we can get a disability-accessible apartment. It would truly improve our quality of life, so we're praying hard.

• 3 weeks later...

One year from this very moment, I'll be hugging around 200 people as Mrs. Arnold.

I'M SO EXCITED.

Just remember to try and eat food between hugging people. I have been told that its not uncommon for the bride and groom to have little time to eat!