franciscanheart Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 Everyone can agree that the concept of birth is beautiful. Birth in action is messy and kinda gross. And definitely not for the faint of heart. While I don't mind it, a thread like this should probably be indicated in the title, because not everyone expects to see such pictures, and of those, not everyone will be comfortable or okay with such pictures. Especially if they don't know what "caul" is.Birth is not gross. Messy, yes, but not gross. I don't understand how the baby breathes in there. I mean, what, are we amphibious until we're born? Obviously I don't know much about these things. Anything, really...The baby receives oxygen via the umbilical cord. If so: Where's the other end of the cord? I mean, it's still in mom somewhere, right? Also: How does the baby get all the fluid out of its lungs?The umbilical cord is attached to the placenta on one end and the baby on the other. When the cord is cut, the placenta is still inside the mother (generally speaking). The mother then delivers the placenta. (These are things people don't usually realize if they haven't witnessed a birth.)To the second question, the fluid drains from the lungs upon the baby's first breath or is absorbed by the body. They may also cough some of it up.
Archaeology cat Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Teehee. :) Good question! While in the womb, the umbilical cord gives the baby a constant supply of oxygenated and nutrient-filled blood from the placenta. This is how the baby is given nutrients for it to grow and develop. The oxygenated blood also provides air for the baby. While in the womb, the baby's lungs are filled with fluid, which is not breathable. Babies in gestation do not "breathe,"; instead, they ingest air through fluid and blood. This provides the baby with the air it needs. It is a misconception that babies "breathe" while in the womb. A baby can practice "breathing" while in the womb and even experience hiccups, but she is not actually breathing air. When a baby is born, she must breathe for the first time. Due to being filled with fluid and the challenges of labor, a baby's first breath is sometimes a challenging and stressful moment. The infant must start processing oxygen through its lungs and deal with blood circulation. This is also a good reason to delay cord clamping, so the transition is less traumatic (the cord continues pulsing for some time after birth, pumping the oxygen-rich blood from the placenta to the baby - it's the baby's blood after all, so makes sense to wait for a bit so he has his full blood volume). Also, I really want to have a baby born en caul. With my first my waters went before contractions started (note: even with ruptured membranes there is still amniotic fluid being produced; in some cases of premature rupture of membranes the amniotic sac can repair itself). With the other two the waters went during the pushing stage.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Teehee. :) Good question! While in the womb, the umbilical cord gives the baby a constant supply of oxygenated and nutrient-filled blood from the placenta. This is how the baby is given nutrients for it to grow and develop. The oxygenated blood also provides air for the baby. While in the womb, the baby's lungs are filled with fluid, which is not breathable. Babies in gestation do not "breathe,"; instead, they ingest air through fluid and blood. This provides the baby with the air it needs. It is a misconception that babies "breathe" while in the womb. A baby can practice "breathing" while in the womb and even experience hiccups, but she is not actually breathing air. When a baby is born, she must breathe for the first time. Due to being filled with fluid and the challenges of labor, a baby's first breath is sometimes a challenging and stressful moment. The infant must start processing oxygen through its lungs and deal with blood circulation. http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5028572_unborn-baby-breathe-womb_.html Fixed.
franciscanheart Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Fixed. :rolleyes: Kids these days! Even their plagiarism is weak.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted July 9, 2013 Author Posted July 9, 2013 (edited) Oh poo, I forgot I have to cite my sources every time I answer a question on phatmass. Silly me. Edited July 9, 2013 by ToJesusMyHeart
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Oh poo, I forgot I have to cite my sources every time I answer a question on phatmass. Silly me. It's appropriate to cite your source when you quote something no matter where you use it. Anyone who has made it past grade school knows that.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 you got pwned. I'd prop you if I could. That made me chuckle. :hehe:
ToJesusMyHeart Posted July 10, 2013 Author Posted July 10, 2013 I didn't think it was a big deal on a Catholic internet site where people are supposed to be charitable and kind to each other, instead of shoving mistakes into each other's faces and being jerks about it. Whoopsie daisy. Guess my grade school teachers did a crappy job.
PhuturePriest Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 Newsflash: Birth is a messy business. Who would have thought, right? You would assume something like childbirth would be done without any fluids involved. You'd think those nasty fluids would be kept in by the magical force field.
franciscanheart Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 I didn't think it was a big deal on a Catholic internet site where people are supposed to be charitable and kind to each other, instead of shoving mistakes into each other's faces and being jerks about it. Whoopsie daisy. Guess my grade school teachers did a crappy job. :| You're clearly setting a fine example.
Amppax Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 :| You're clearly setting a fine example. So are you. You seem to be going after her, based on posts in several threads. Why?
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 So are you. You seem to be going after her, based on posts in several threads. Why? Props...
franciscanheart Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 So are you. You seem to be going after her, based on posts in several threads. Why? Things are not always as they seem.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 (edited) :rolleyes: Kids these days! Even their plagiarism is weak. It's appropriate to cite your source when you quote something no matter where you use it. Anyone who has made it past grade school knows that. :| You're clearly setting a fine example. I'm sorry, but, really guys?... Really mature. Edited July 10, 2013 by FutureCarmeliteClaire
PhuturePriest Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 (edited) I don't think citations are incredibly important on an internet forum where we spend most of our time talking about ponies and debating the exact specifications of what makes something immodest. Just relax, people. Citations or lack thereof aren't the end of the world unless you're writing a college paper or writing a book. I hardly think they are important here, especially when all you're doing is explaining the birthing process. If a citation is asked for that is fine, but I don't find it very mature to make fun of someone because they didn't use a citation, especially considering the situation and the fact I haven't ever seen either of you ever use citations in posts. Furthermore, we're all Catholic. Can't we get along and use Christian charity? There are some people we might not get along with in life. This doesn't mean we can't be nice to them or that we can justify treating them uncharitably. Edited July 10, 2013 by FuturePriest387
Lil Red Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 honestly, i thought what TJTM quoted was her own words. :blush: and to find out that they weren't, that she copied and pasted from another site, well yeah, i feel a bit foolish. yes, it would have been nice if she had linked to the source, or even put quotation marks around what she quoted. just so people knew it wasn't her own words.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 honestly, i thought what TJTM quoted was her own words. :blush: and to find out that they weren't, that she copied and pasted from another site, well yeah, i feel a bit foolish. yes, it would have been nice if she had linked to the source, or even put quotation marks around what she quoted. just so people knew it wasn't her own words. Yes, this. Thank you, Red. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Proper etiquette and all that. If you have time to add in your own emphasis on things you have time to copy and paste the link to the article you quoted, or simply say "This is from an article I read."
PhuturePriest Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 honestly, i thought what TJTM quoted was her own words. :blush: and to find out that they weren't, that she copied and pasted from another site, well yeah, i feel a bit foolish. yes, it would have been nice if she had linked to the source, or even put quotation marks around what she quoted. just so people knew it wasn't her own words. Yes, this. Thank you, Red. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Proper etiquette and all that. If you have time to add in your own emphasis on things you have time to copy and paste the link to the article you quoted, or simply say "This is from an article I read." I agree saying something like "This is a copy and paste from a link" would have been appropriate. But I don't think making fun of her was necessary, and I feel like you could have stated your opinion in a different way.
KnightofChrist Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 She forgot and made a mistake and admitted that it was a mistake. Now she did so in a defensive manner, but that should be a little bit understandable since she was accused of plagiarism. People make mistakes, it's very easy to forgive to paste a link. I've forgot myself sometimes. Let us move on with life.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now