Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I agree saying something like "This is a copy and paste from a link" would have been appropriate. But I don't think making fun of her was necessary, and I feel like you could have stated your opinion in a different way.

 

I wasn't making fun of her.
 

PhuturePriest
Posted

I wasn't making fun of her.
 

 

Well, franciscanheart was, and you said it was common courtesy everyone that graduated grade school knew, which was a bit snarky. You may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it came across, at least to me.

franciscanheart
Posted

Boozer was going to let TJMH's snark slide, but I thought it unnecessary. Perhaps my response was also unnecessary, but some people around here think they can be rude (because, I'm sure, in their minds, they're justified) but no one else is allowed to cop an attitude to their attitude. Sometimes niceties don't get the point across. Sometimes snark is most effectively countered by snark. Best solution? Perhaps not. But effective.

TJMH is a grown woman, I'm pretty sure, and capable of dealing with a joke. If she isn't, that's a shame. A ":lol: Caught!" would have been a perfectly reasonable, lighthearted and charitable response. She chose not to respond in that vein.

I don't feel bad for making a joke. If I'm wrong for that, God help me. :|

FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

honestly, i thought what TJTM quoted was her own words. :blush: and to find out that they weren't, that she copied and pasted from another site, well yeah, i feel a bit foolish. yes, it would have been nice if she had linked to the source, or even put quotation marks around what she quoted. just so people knew it wasn't her own words. 

 

Agreed, but this

 

:| You're clearly setting a fine example.

 

and this

 

It's appropriate to cite your source when you quote something no matter where you use it. Anyone who has made it past grade school knows that.
 

 

were inappropriate ESPECIALLY considering that TJMH had already acknowledged a mistake.

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

Boozer was going to let TJMH's snark slide, but I thought it unnecessary. Perhaps my response was also unnecessary, but some people around here think they can be rude (because, I'm sure, in their minds, they're justified) but no one else is allowed to cop an attitude to their attitude. Sometimes niceties don't get the point across. Sometimes snark is most effectively countered by snark. Best solution? Perhaps not. But effective.

TJMH is a grown woman, I'm pretty sure, and capable of dealing with a joke. If she isn't, that's a shame. A ":lol: Caught!" would have been a perfectly reasonable, lighthearted and charitable response. She chose not to respond in that vein.

I don't feel bad for making a joke. If I'm wrong for that, God help me. :|

 

I don't think your joke was out of line. I thought it quite funny, to be honest. And I agree that we can't walk on eggshells so we don't offend anyone over some little thing. I just don't think the citation issue was that big of a deal is all, especially not as big a deal as we are all making it (Myself included).

 

I don't remember To Jesus My Heart being snarky, but I may have missed it. Either way, I don't find the "fight fire with fire" solution to be that effective. Fighting fire with fire metaphorically does the same as it does physically: It just spreads the fire and makes it worse.

Edited by FuturePriest387
CatholicsAreKewl
Posted

Yes, YES! Chaos!  :evil:

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

Well, franciscanheart was, and you said it was common courtesy everyone that graduated grade school knew, which was a bit snarky. You may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it came across, at least to me.

 

I admit the second sentence in that post was snarky on my part. But it was a direct reaction to her snotty response. Maybe other people don't see it, but I felt her response was sarcastic and snotty. Later, past the time I was able to edit, I told Franny "I probably came across as an a-hole in that post." What I said was truthful, even though I probably could have phrased it more nicely.

Posted

I agree saying something like "This is a copy and paste from a link" would have been appropriate. But I don't think making fun of her was necessary, and I feel like you could have stated your opinion in a different way.

 

that is the first post i have made in this thread. :| 

 

Icey's "fixed" I thought was a joke. Everyone does it, pretty much a lot, around here to each other. 

 

i took franny's first post "kids these days" as a joke as well. 

 

but maybe because i know them and are friends with them, I think the best of their intentions, not the worst.

franciscanheart
Posted

I admit the second sentence in that post was snarky on my part. But it was a direct reaction to her snotty response. Maybe other people don't see it, but I felt her response was sarcastic and snotty. Later, past the time I was able to edit, I told Franny "I probably came across as an a-hole in that post." What I said was truthful, even though I probably could have phrased it more nicely.

I saw it, too, obviously. :like:

And it's true, Boozer did say that to me.
Posted

Yes, YES! Chaos!  :evil:

 

:hehe: 

franciscanheart
Posted

that is the first post i have made in this thread. :|

Icey's "fixed" I thought was a joke. Everyone does it, pretty much a lot, around here to each other.

i took franny's first post "kids these days" as a joke as well.

but maybe because i know them and are friends with them, I think the best of their intentions, not the worst.

Thanks, Red! :like: I thought they were jokes, too. :unsure:
Posted

anyway, moving on.....

 

i'm actually hearing that people are getting more and more pics of babies being born "in caul" nowadays? anyone have more information on that? 

PhuturePriest
Posted

that is the first post i have made in this thread. :|

 

Icey's "fixed" I thought was a joke. Everyone does it, pretty much a lot, around here to each other. 

 

i took franny's first post "kids these days" as a joke as well. 

 

but maybe because i know them and are friends with them, I think the best of their intentions, not the worst.

 

I wasn't referring to you specifically.

 

I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to franciscanheart's post about setting a fine example. Upon re-reading, I agree To Jesus My Heart was being a bit snarky, and I no longer feel as if franciscanheart's post was out of line.

 

I took it that way as well. I just didn't originally feel her post about setting a fine example was appropriate -- through re-reading and listening to other people explain I now feel differently.

 

I think the best of their intentions as well. I know they were joking. I just thought the one joke may have crossed the line.

franciscanheart
Posted

anyway, moving on.....

i'm actually hearing that people are getting more and more pics of babies being born "in caul" nowadays? anyone have more information on that?

Me! Me! Pick ME!

So being born in the caul is considered rare and in some places, a sign of good luck. I've seen images of three babies born in the caul in the last year. One of those babes was a friend's granddaughter! :)

Because more and more people are having their births photographed, we're getting to see more and more photos.

There is a series of images I shared with Facebook of a babe born in the caul last year. They did a series of the doctor removing the caul. In this case, it did not require any snipping away from the baby's face or head. :like:
FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

that is the first post i have made in this thread. :|

 

Icey's "fixed" I thought was a joke. Everyone does it, pretty much a lot, around here to each other. 

 

i took franny's first post "kids these days" as a joke as well. 

 

but maybe because i know them and are friends with them, I think the best of their intentions, not the worst.

 

Unfortunately, not everyone is close friends with everyone and knows each other really well. And regardless of intention, it DOES matter how people come across. Especially since this is not the only incident where TJMH has seemed to be targeted. I realize that's probably no one's intention, but it is how it comes across. And FWIW, my opinion in this are unbiased. It just seemed crude and rude how people were speaking to each other.

Posted

Me! Me! Pick ME!

So being born in the caul is considered rare and in some places, a sign of good luck. I've seen images of three babies born in the caul in the last year. One of those babes was a friend's granddaughter! :)

Because more and more people are having their births photographed, we're getting to see more and more photos.

There is a series of images I shared with Facebook of a babe born in the caul last year. They did a series of the doctor removing the caul. In this case, it did not require any snipping away from the baby's face or head. :like:

 

awesome! :) 

FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

Me! Me! Pick ME!

So being born in the caul is considered rare and in some places, a sign of good luck. I've seen images of three babies born in the caul in the last year. One of those babes was a friend's granddaughter! :)

Because more and more people are having their births photographed, we're getting to see more and more photos.

There is a series of images I shared with Facebook of a babe born in the caul last year. They did a series of the doctor removing the caul. In this case, it did not require any snipping away from the baby's face or head. :like:

That's awesome!!

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

anyway, moving on.....

 

i'm actually hearing that people are getting more and more pics of babies being born "in caul" nowadays? anyone have more information on that? 

 

 

From what I hear this is true, especially as more and more people have photographers present for the births of their babies.

 

Referring back to ArchCat's post a few pages back, 3 of my 4 children were similar experiences to hers. The waters didn't break until I was pushing; my midwives even said when I had my first "I hope she's born in the caul. That would be so exciting!" It burst when she was crowning. (Sorry for the TMI folks.) [when I had my third baby they broke my water because labor wasn't progressing, but I suspect if that labor had gone the way my others had it would have been the same scenario.)

 

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

Me! Me! Pick ME!

So being born in the caul is considered rare and in some places, a sign of good luck. I've seen images of three babies born in the caul in the last year. One of those babes was a friend's granddaughter! :)

Because more and more people are having their births photographed, we're getting to see more and more photos.

There is a series of images I shared with Facebook of a babe born in the caul last year. They did a series of the doctor removing the caul. In this case, it did not require any snipping away from the baby's face or head. :like:

 

Franny types fast. lol

FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

From what I hear this is true, especially as more and more people have photographers present for the births of their babies.

 

Referring back to ArchCat's post a few pages back, 3 of my 4 children were similar experiences to hers. The waters didn't break until I was pushing; my midwives even said when I had my first "I hope she's born in the caul. That would be so exciting!" It burst when she was crowning. (Sorry for the TMI folks.) [when I had my third baby they broke my water because labor wasn't progressing, but I suspect if that labor had gone the way my others had it would have been the same scenario.)

My sister was like that! I was fortunate to be able to attend my mom's birth when she had my sister, and she was almost born in the caul too.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...