An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

I decided to be brave and try making rubber stamps again. So I got some of this special "low odor" rubber stamp material that's supposed to go in laser engravers.

You may have noticed I put "low odor" in quotes. 

Yeah, it's relative. It's so bad I can taste it. :P But compared to neoprene or natural rubber, this stuff isn't so bad. But holy COW does it stink! WHOO.

It makes a nice looking stamp, now I have to see if they work well. I also note that this stuff makes an unbelievable mess in the laser, with sticky resinous gray ash everywhere. Nasty! I'm going to have to clean this whole thing out very very thoroughly once I'm done!

I decided to be brave and try making rubber stamps again. So I got some of this special "low odor" rubber stamp material that's supposed to go in laser engravers.

You may have noticed I put "low odor" in quotes. 

Yeah, it's relative. It's so bad I can taste it. :P But compared to neoprene or natural rubber, this stuff isn't so bad. But holy COW does it stink! WHOO.

STOP ROASTING HOLY COWS!!!!!

It makes a nice looking stamp, now I have to see if they work well. I also note that this stuff makes an unbelievable mess in the laser, with sticky resinous gray ash everywhere. Nasty! I'm going to have to clean this whole thing out very very thoroughly once I'm done!

"And for your penance for roasting holy cows....."   rotfl

Youuuuuuuuuu :P

:eek:  :hehe2:  :woot: :lol3:  Cleaning up is ALWAYS the worst part of any BBQ, ARFink!

IMG_20140601_142753256.jpg

So this is the result of my rubber stamp making yesterday. I once again derped up the laser and got it put on BACKWARDS. Mostly because I forgot that when you put a stamp on paper it makes a mirror image from the top surface. But on the other hand, it validates my technique for making the stamp itself, which turned out really great.

Edited by arfink

That is stunning, and does validate your technique!

Too bad about the reversed image -- the dead give away, of course, are the initials!...

You could just leave it that way for the fun of it... long ago there was a law firm that had an accident like that when their original engraved letterhead was created, and a ton of stationary was run before anyone noticed... so they just kept it.  

I can't duplicate it, but you can imagine......(the & needs to be upside down)

Smith & Jones  

(and I guess that means another BBQ & cleanup????? sorry to put you through that a 2nd time!)

Looked very distinctive

TheresaThoma

Love the stamp! (and the discussion about roasting holy cows.....)

I'm glad your family is feeling better. I'm also happy to hear that you are starting to get bunches of work!

I decided to run a little test and monitor my internet browsing habits. I figured out a couple of domains which I request very frequently which also happen to provide no positive feedback for my day to day life, and provide negative feedback on my work time. In other words, worthless waste of time websites. One of these is Imgur. I decided to block the domain on my own personal computer, and have begun to forcefully notice how often I navigate to their website on auto-pilot. :P It's a little unnerving.

I decided to run a little test and monitor my internet browsing habits. I figured out a couple of domains which I request very frequently which also happen to provide no positive feedback for my day to day life, and provide negative feedback on my work time. In other words, worthless waste of time websites. One of these is Imgur. I decided to block the domain on my own personal computer, and have begun to forcefully notice how often I navigate to their website on auto-pilot.  :P It's a little unnerving.

Owie.  Rather like walking into a plate glass window a few times a day... or this

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSmkym-Stw[/media]

Either way, very educational!  And memorable, I am sure... if you don't get a concussion....

Edited by AnneLine

TheresaThoma

Hmmm that is a good idea, blocking websites that are simply time wasters....

I may have to try that.

In most Linux desktop distros you can find a domain blocker built right into GTK. I assume there are KDE and QT equivalents, or you can do it from the command line. I don't know how to do it in Windows, but I imagine that should be possible as well.

TheresaThoma

I actually found an extension for Chrome, which is the only browser I use so it is great. 

Hmmm that is a good idea, blocking websites that are simply time wasters....

I may have to try that.

If we all did that, Facebook would die. :(