An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

What's up Tab? Yea I still go there all the time....Being around alcohol is no problem anymore for me....I actually went and got wings yesterday and had my usual sprite and water.....Glad you're doing good brother ! Keep it up man...

Credo in Deum

This thread is awesome and a great source of encouragement.   With God's grace I've been free from alcohol and drugs for about 3 years now.   I look forward to the day I can say the same for some other addictions I have.  

Credo in Deum

3 years is amazing.......Congratulations on that....Did you do aa or on your own ?

I want to say on my own, but none of us ever get 3 years, 8 months, or even 24 hours on our own. I've gotten a lot of support and help from my friends and family.   I've never attended aa, but I have visited other 12 step groups (NA, SA, OA, etc) in the past.  I still struggle with keeping an active presence in them though.  I think it's because I'm an introvert. 

You guys make me happy!!!!!!!   :blowkiss:

Edited by AnneLine

Credo in Deum

I want to share something I've read.  It's helped me a lot.

"...The present moment is rich in grace and holds immense reassurance.   This is where God is present.  "I am with you always, to the close of the age" (Matthew 28:20).  God is the eternal present.  Every moment, whatever it brings, is filled with God's presence, rich  with the possibility of communion with God.  We do not commune with God in the past or the future, but by welcoming each instant as the place where he gives himself to us.  We should learn to live in each moment as sufficient to itself for God is there; and if God is there, we lack nothing.  We feel we are missing this or that, simply because we are living in the past or in the future instead of dwelling in each second. Psalm 145 says, "The eyes of all look to thee, and thou givest them their food in due season.  Thou openest thy hand, thou satisfiest the desire of every living thing."

There is something very liberating in this understanding of the grace of the present moment.  Even if the whole of our past has been a disaster, even if our future seems like a dead end, NOW we can establish communion with God through an act of faith, trust, and abandonment.  God is eternally present, eternally young, eternally new, and our past and future are his.  He can forgive everything, purify everything, renew everything. "He will renew you in his love"(Zephaniah 3:17). In the present moment, because of his infinitely merciful love, we always have the possibility of starting again, not impeded by the past, or tormented by the future.  The past is in the hands of the Merciful God, who can draw benefit from everything: the future is in the hands of the Providence of God who will never forget us.  Faith keeps us from living as many people do, oppressed by a burdensome past and worrrisome future.  Living in the present permits our hearts to expand."

"Interior Freedom" By Fr. Jacques Philippe  (page 82)

• 2 weeks later...

Really feel like having some beers right now...Thought about it earlier and didn't and thinking about it again right now...I will have 8 months in a few days without a drink...But I do way worse things to offend God then drink beers....Hell drinking moderately isn't even a sin...I sorta feel like right now I'm holding out so I can keep increasing the months without a single slip up sorta like I'm playing some video game and trying to get the perfect score...I honestly don't want to give in even though the world won't explode if I go have a beer right now...I will actually enjoy it and thank God for it and will love the feeling it gives after my second beer...I'm an idiot for typing this and romancing the idea right now but I've always been an idiot nothing new...I'm 99% sure im not going to drink tonight becuase this is one area of my life I have actually succeeded in not messing up and giving in...And for some reason God has made it rather easy for me not to give in...Which amazes me because I usually give in on everything else and let God and myself down...So this must be a grace from Him and it's really important I don't drink...Although I give in on other things that are just as important or more important that I shouldnt do...Then the question keeps lingering why not take what I've learned and drink moderately...Only have a few...Even though only having a few isn't likely to happen...But even then I can attempt to walk that tightrope...I can have more then a few...And then stop...Or mabey I cant...Who knows...

Edited by Guest

What I do know is if I start drinking again at some point I will become really wasted...Becuase it's fun and I like to get really drunk...I may go out 10 times drinking without getting wasted but on the 11th time I will...There is no doubt about it...And if I'm being completely honest I like that...Because I like to get really drunk...Like I said it's fun...But that "fun" has stole alot away from me and caused me alot of pain...So much pain that I joined aa 8 months ago and asked God to help me give up alcohol for good...And what do you know God gave me what I asked for...And me being the prick I am I want to give drinking another try...Because I can do it better this time...Insanity...

Edited by Guest

Hang in there, Josh.   Praying for you.    You make the choices, but if you really want to stick with the sobriety plan, find some ways to distract yourself.   You may be right -- it could be OK.... but you need to decide if you want to take the chance.   But we love you, and we are still here for you.....

Thanks...Didn't come close to drinking...It was nice to have this thread to come post in...Thanks for your prayers and support...The desire or thoughts to drink tonight were there out of selfishness and ego...As if I deserve some drinks even though just 8 months ago I completely disrespected a great friend and was a hateful bastard to them with words and actions while wasted drunk...But my twisted mind says it's ok now I've done good and haven't had a sip for 8 months...It's time to reward myself and go drink again...The whole miracle of aa for me is the fact God completely removed the craving for alcohol along with 97 percent of the time the desire as well...And when I have thoughts of drinking now they are simply selfish thoughts about wanting back what God took out of my life for my own good (of course after I asked him to) And when I remember that its for my own benefit and life is better this way it's easy just to shrug my shoulders and say ok your will be done not mine...Now if only I could do that so easily for 8 months with other non beneficial choices in my life...

Edited by Guest

Here's a song written by Willie Nelson, quite a long time ago. I think he was in AA at the time. The chorus, at least, comes straight our of AA. This version is from about '68 - it's the most musical version of the song that I've found. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYNS_piIwiI 

Credo in Deum

Lately, I've been having a difficult time with my addictions.  Lot's of temptations, especially ones of despair or to future trip about things which may or may not happen.  I heard some great advice during a share though, and that was to invite God into your thoughts when you're tempted.  Show him who you are with all of your wounds and unhealthy desires, so He can heal them.  This made so much sense to me, because I've noticed when I entertain temptations, I cease to think about God and I get lost in fantasy rather than reality.  Inviting God into my thoughts, is inviting reality into the fantasy.  It feels odd to do this though, because my pride doesn't want God to see me with all of my filth and problems.  Yet this is unreasonable since Christ is the Divine Physician, and physicians want to see and feel drawn to see the sick more than those who are healthy. 

Thanks for the song Luigi good stuff...Also thanks everybody for the support in this thread...Just reread the entire thing and there was so much good advice in here...And it was good to remember what I was thinking at certain points the last eight months...Not being drunk has been great and not feeling hung over from alcohol even once in that time period is dope...Also not doing or saying anything while wasted that I would regret the next day is the thing I love the most...This has easily been the best part of not drinking and getting drunk so far...

Edited by Guest

Lately, I've been having a difficult time with my addictions. Lot's of temptations, especially ones of despair or to future trip about things which may or may not happen. I heard some great advice during a share though, and that was to invite God into your thoughts when you're tempted. Show him who you are with all of your wounds and unhealthy desires, so He can heal them. This made so much sense to me, because I've noticed when I entertain temptations, I cease to think about God and I get lost in fantasy rather than reality. Inviting God into my thoughts, is inviting reality into the fantasy. It feels odd to do this though, because my pride doesn't want God to see me with all of my filth and problems. Yet this is unreasonable since Christ is the Divine Physician, and physicians want to see and feel drawn to see the sick more than those who are healthy.

Great post...I'm thankful Christ is the Divine Physician and wants to be with us....Especially those who really need him...He could easily turn his back and hide himself....But he doesnt...That's why he's a loving God and worthy of our praise and worship...