An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

Went to a meeting last night...Hadn't been to one since the 27th....So I missed a few days....No temptation to drink.....Going to a meeting in a little bit...

• 2 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I wen't to a meeting tonight. It was nice and humbling and informative. I learnt i have to manage my thoughts and get out of the endless loop of thinking about what other people are thinking about and resentments. I also found out a few weeks ago that supposedly it is officially proven somewhere that excess alcohol causes psychosis, so there is now officially scientifically alcohol psychosis. Which brings me hope that the further away i get from my last drink and drug the better my head will get or at the least the more manageable my thoughts will get. I also found out that when saint paul said " have a little bit for what ails you" that he was talking directly to some women that had serious physical pain and that as christians we don't even have to have alcohol( <sighs> discerning holy scripture on my own mainly.) i got that bit so wrong, i think i was deluded into thinking or somehow assuming in my heart that perhaps drinking alcohol in moderation made a christian holier or something, but i don't have to drink a drop of alcohol, though great for those whom can moderate and yes they can attain holiness also i believe, for God is all powerful. This is all very freeing and creating hope for me. And the 1st step is really sinking in, i am powerless over alcohol so where do i get the power, i get it from God, which is kind of 1st and 2nd step.

Okay god bless you all.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus is LORD.

P.s. Oh if anyone sees this post soon please pray for me to get at least some sleep before tomorrow morning because i have to go to my home group tomorrow and it is only my 2nd meeting there and the lady that kind of runs it doesn't have any support, and it is late here 12:18am and i'm worried i won't sleep and miss the meeting.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

:buddies2: You got the prayers, Tab, and it sounds like you are learning a LOT at your AA meetings. :like3:

As far as St. Paul's suggestion to Timothy about 'take a little wine for your stomach' -- maybe that should go under the heading of 'never take anyone else's medicine'!!!!

Keep going and working the steps.... we're proud of you and we're behind you! 

Edited by AnneLine

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

As far as St. Paul's suggestion to Timothy about 'take a little wine for your stomach' -- maybe that should go under the heading of 'never take anyone else's medicine'!!!!

:LOL: AGREED!

Hope and pray both you and Josh (and anyone else who is hidden in this thread....) are doing well... prayers continue.... :pray:

I hit the 3 month mark without a drink a few days ago....God completly took away the desire for me to drink....And I'm around alcohol constanly...Mabey a time or 2 I thought a drink would be cool but it was very easy to tell myself no and then not think about alcohol again....I haven't been going to as many meetings....The last couple weeks I've made 3 meetings a week...Which is enough right now....I have been working a ton and hitting the gym everyday....I went to a meeting yesterday....Before I went I was thinking pretty hard about atheist arguments against God....And I was thinking one of the reasons supporting God being real is music....I love music from country to rap....And I think it points to there being a God for a reason I cant really pin point....Anyhow so as I'm in the shower before the meeting I'm thinking about this in depth.....So when I get to the meeting what would you know its a music meeting....It was the first one I had been to like that....A couple people played guitar and some shared a song....This one guy sang 2 original songs and he was really talented....It was a really cool meeting and it was for me a spirtual experience of God saying I'm real and I'm here walking with you in your life....I really exist and I love you...

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I kinda feel like giving up. But this song is helping me on the whole God and music tip.

http://youtu.be/TqM9OTiFnpc

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The last couple weeks I have made 2 to 3 meetings a week....Last night new years eve was the most I have been tempted to drink....Didn't feel like getting drunk just wanted to have a few beers...I didn't though...Happy about that...Although I sinned terribly and need to go Confession asap...As far as my soul goes it would of been better if I had drinks rather then fall into the sins I did....Drinking isn't even a sin....What I did though last night will send me to hell forever...

Well.... glad you didn't drink.   Whatever you did last night will ONLY send you to hell if you don't make it right with God.  So.... firm act of contrition now... and confession ASAP.  You're a good man, Josh, and you can do this.

And a happy and healthy and sober new year to you!!!!!!

ChristinaTherese

Well.... glad you didn't drink. Whatever you did last night will ONLY send you to hell if you don't make it right with God. So.... firm act of contrition now... and confession ASAP. You're a good man, Josh, and you can do this.

And a happy and healthy and sober new year to you!!!!!!

This. I almost posted to say basically the same thing just now, but then I saw that AL had just posted anyway.

Thanks for the kind words...I'm not a good man though...I try to be a decent kind person and every once in a while I don't fail at it...But most times I do...I wish I didn't sin the way I do...I guess if I entered a brotherhood I wouldn't because the temptations of sin city would be removed...That's pry why they say flee the devil and he will flee from you...I don't have what it takes though for religious life....I'm to selfish...So I guess I pray I make it to purgatory and never die in a state of mortal sin...Happy new years and everybody have a great 2014...God Bless...

Edited by Guest

oh, Josh,  in once sense, no one is good except God.   So, yeah, if you are trying to be God, you aren't gonna make it!!!!

BUT.... God loves us with the love of a lover, father, mother, whatever image works for you.   God wants a relationship with you.   And me.  And all of us.  And broken, fallen people He still loves us with arms outstretched.  But he can't and wont come and just steal our hearts... we have to move toward Him at least a bit.

Communities aren't for 'perfect' people -- they don't exist!  They are for people who are aware of their brokenness.... and yet, still trust that God is big enough to repair that.  And THAT is the message of AA... you know that.   It's also the message of Catholicism.  We aren't a religion for the perfect -- we are a religion for those who are imperfect but still keep getting back on the horse.

Think about going to a meeting when you get into this mood.  Really.  It helps.    :buddies:

If you are aiming for Heaven, you can miss the mark and make it to purgatory. :cupid: :sad: :winner:

If you aim for purgatory, well, you get the picture!   :ohno: :eek: :dontlike: :help:

Edited by AnneLine