An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

I am propless, Josh, but I really want to prop what you posted just above this... both in your honesty and humility in posting it AND for your insights.

If I were a little devil, I'd try to tell you all the things abuot what a bunch of losers, and what a waste of time, and how the meetings suck eggs.... giving you reasons to give up.

The devil only gives you reasons to give up if he thinks what you are doing is dangerous.  So you MUST be on the right track!

Don't listen to him!

You are right... AA is a lot like a protestant service... and God does some wonderful work everywhere we let Him in!   But it is such a privilege to also have the Church and the Eucharist... you have the best of both worlds... well of THREE worlds, if you include the Phatmass Pham.....

Thanks and ya I agree I am lucky to have the Church and the Sacraments....Tonight we read about the 5th step and shared upon that topic....And the 5th step is telling another person your wrongs ect ect....And it was a big advertisement for the Sacrament of Reconciliation...It really was....I have been doing the steps myself and I honestly don't see myself getting a sponser...This sound arrogant but I'm really close with God and I feel that He is my sponser through this...And like the 5th step we talked about tonight...In a perfect "a.a. world" I would tell my sponser all my wrong doings and the mistakes I made and the people I wronged.....But I've already done this when I went to Confession...And I continue to do it every time I go to Confession...So I don't feel the need to tell a spopnser this stuff....

Edited by Guest

Thanks and ya I agree I am lucky to have the Church and the Sacraments....Tonight we read about the 5th step and shared upon that topic....And the 5th step is telling another person your wrongs ect ect....And it was a big advertisement for the Sacrament of Reconciliation...It really was....I have been doing the steps myself and I honestly don't see myself getting a sponser...This sound arrogant but I'm really close with God and I feel that He is my sponser through this...And like the 5th step we talked about tonight...In a perfect "a.a. world" I would tell my sponser all my wrong doings and the mistakes I made and the people I wronged.....But I've already done this when I went to Confession...And I continue to do it every time I go to Confession...So I don't feel the need to tell a spopnser this stuff....

I'm very happy to hear this is your point of view.  I have a friend that basically left catholicism for AA and since then I've been a bit skeptical on aspects of it.   

I also saw you talk about moderation earlier... Abstinence is a really good way to just put a stop to alcohol exacerbating problems and gives you the space to address those problems.  But I think, for most, that drugs/alcohol are just self-medications and are symptoms of the problems, but not the problems themselves.   (Though there are some people that should just never, ever drink.)

The problems don't have to be huge... usually it's just a maturity thing or coming to terms with some childhood issues... but they do take some time.  Cutting out alcohol and occasions for alcohol was always real helpful to me to get space and time to climb out of the rut.  Hopefully AA is helping you with that.   If you are also going to confession and the Eucharist then you are doing all the right things and a pretty lucky guy. 

Ya stopping completly is what I needed to do. I think moderation could work at a different time in my life but not now. And that would make most a.a. people cringe me saying that. Just at tonights meeting we had a guest speaker who spoke about that when giving his story. He was sober for 5 years then thought he could have just 1 or 2 and in 3 months he was the drunk that he came into the program being. So mabey I'm foolish to think I could drink in moderation in the future. I don't know. I live in Vegas now though and being sober is something that I need to do everyday. This town has to many temptations and I need to be sober and have a clear head so I can say no to these temptations and walk with Christ. When I become drunk my judgement goes out the window and things get bad. I can't just be satisfied drinking the afternoon away and watching the games at bdubbs..Once I become drunk I have to go get involved in other things that have no place in a christians life.

Really would like an ice cold beer right now...Feel like going to buffalo wild wings down the street and having a couple beers like a mature adult and watching some basketball....I'm about 95 % sure I could do just that and not get drunk and keep drinking the night away....Not going there right now is basically me punishing myself for what I did in the past....And I deserve punishment...But on the other hand I know if I go have a few beers the world doesn't end and God doesn't disown me....This is where it becomes tough and where I'm tempted to give moderation another shot...But at this time I'm not going to....Having 2 months sober without a drink makes me want to get to 3 months then 6 months...Although it sorta feels like a vain goal and a numbers game....Sorta....On the other hand mabey that urge not to drink tonight is coming from God and he doesn't want me to have a few because He knows what will happen a few months from now when I attempt to have just a few....But then there is the part of me that knows God loves a man who drinks beer...Through the good times and the bad....

Edited by Guest

Just for now, you don't need a couple of beers. Just for now, you can go domething else.

And don't think of it as punishing yourself. Think of it as doing the right thing.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I have decided that I am going back to meetings Josh, not as an alcoholic so i can't share at meetings (though i can share before and after meetings with a cuppa) but as someone whom desires to give up alcohol, which according to the big book is the only requirement for membership. On the big book have you a copy yet bro ?

Onward christian souls.

God iz LOVE!

Jesus iz LORD!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Really would like an ice cold beer right now...Feel like going to buffalo wild wings down the street and having a couple beers like a mature adult and watching some basketball....I'm about 95 % sure I could do just that and not get drunk and keep drinking the night away....Not going there right now is basically me punishing myself for what I did in the past....And I deserve punishment...But on the other hand I know if I go have a few beers the world doesn't end and God doesn't disown me....This is where it becomes tough and where I'm tempted to give moderation another shot...But at this time I'm not going to....Having 2 months sober without a drink makes me want to get to 3 months then 6 months...Although it sorta feels like a vain goal and a numbers game....Sorta....On the other hand mabey that urge not to drink tonight is coming from God and he doesn't want me to have a few because He knows what will happen a few months from now when I attempt to have just a few....But then there is the part of me that knows God loves a man who drinks beer...Through the good times and the bad....

God doesn't hate drinking he hates drunkardeness. I read a bible verse a few months ago and it has finally sunk in and it says " don't get drunk off wine be satisfied with the spirit of GOD." something like that anyway but it definitely says don't get drunk and i could say "well guys it says wine it doesn't say beer or spirits and surely once a month isn't drunkardness it's just occasionaly," but i don't think that is the point, the point is don't get drunk and i have come to the decision that i get drunk to often and it isn't every time but still far to often even if it's once, i can't toy with the whole "once a year is a goodyear" philosophy anymore, i toyed with the whole well what is drunkardness is it sometimes drunk, always drunk or rarely drunk, i have come to the conclusion that it is anytime drunk, I can't moderate half the time or some times or whatever it is so i have to address this for the sake of the holy word of God and the salvation of my soul and the souls of others that God puts in my path. The Holy Bible says Drunkardness is evil, and that's that. And i to do things that i would never do straight when i am drunk. Although i may not be an alcoholic i have a drinking problem and it needs to be addressed.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD!

God is LOVE!

P.s. Josh can this be a general a.a. thread and not just a josh at a.a. thread, there could be a fellowship here one day in this thread of christian members of A..A and others struggling with the booze. We can share the love. :)

Josh, I think you get to make the call on whether you want to keep this as your own thread.

Tab, I'm really happy that you have made the decision to go back to AA, on the terms you are willing to do it.  One day, one step at a time.

If for whatever reason Josh decides he wants to keep his thread his own, we'd all be happy to see one from you as well!   We love both of you and want both of you to get the support you need from us and from each other.  Whatever works.

So proud of both of you!!!  :heart: :brutebeast: :heart:  Praying for both of you!

I think it's possible to be reasonably confident you'll drink in moderation when you have two things:

1) you know drinking interferes with other things that are more important

2) drinking is not the main goal of the activity

It doesn't sound like you have either of these yet.  You feel like the not-drinking is punishment, instead of a positive choice to do something else (read a book, eat a healthy dinner, get a good nights sleep) and you want to go out just to enjoy a nice cold beer. 

Right now, instead of thinking about how you aren't drinking, think about what drinking was preventing you from doing before and go out and do that stuff.  

And it's not vain to set goals, it's pretty healthy actually and a good habit for success in many things.  Setting some spiritual goals along with it would be a good idea too.  Spiritual reading for 10-15m before bed is always one thing you can do sober that you won't do drunk.  It's also a great habit and will make you feel good. 

Edited by NotreDame

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Or even one our father a hail mary and a glory be before bed if you can't manage 15 minutes spiritual readings before bed yet. Or even a gratitude check even if it's one thing for now, " thank you lord jesus for getting me through this day without trouble. amen " or perhaps " thank you lord jesus for getting me through this day sober." or perhaps "thank you lord jesus for my house and food in the cupboard."  That's what i was recommended from a.a to do a gratitude list before bed each night and i gather sometimes the list is big, sometimes small and sometimes in the middle. :) luv yah bro, god bless.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD!

Anyone can post in this thread....I actually had Bg last week change the thread name to "aa thread" instead of "my aa thread". I'm glad you're going to meetings Tab. Nice job. I'm like how you explain yourself in that I don't drink all the time but when I do drink often I get drunk/wasted. But I'm not a alcoholic in the sense that I drink everyday or even that often....Notre Dame the reason I view it as punishment is because I kinda think it is. I have cut myself off from alcohol completly because of the way I've acted some of the times I have been drunk. I think its a wise choice and something the Holy Spirit prompted me to do yet I also know the value in being able to have some drinks after a tough day to relax and chill out....I also do see it as doing something postive and finding time to do other things instead of drinking. Although when I drank it was never a everyday thing. It was a once a week thing or a a once or twice a month thing but often these were times when I drank and didn't stop. And I know that's not acceptable and I don't want to go back to that. Last nights meeting we had a guest speaker. He was a good speaker and had a good story.

Edited by Guest