An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

maximillion

OMGoodness, well done, very well done!

A million prayers for you Josh, never underestimate how well you have done.

Congratulations! You state it, but how you feel about it? Proud? Surprised? Happy?

Do you get a coin or anything for six months? I remember my brother getting one for 25 years, and my father getting one for 40 years. I guess it was at the same event. I didn't go, but they showed them to me afterward.

Thank you Luigi. I am happy about it...It feels good that I didn't give in and have lasted 6 months...Also a bit surprised too...Although I honestly think this is something supernatural happening and God deserves the credit...As far as the coin goes they give them every month and then once you get to a year you can get one at every year...The only coin I have taken so far is the 24 hour chip...I actually haven't been to a meeting in about a month...Not thrilled about that although not going hasn't made me want to drink...I would like to go to a meeting in the next day or two though and grab a six month chip... Edited by Guest

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I'm tried(tired) by a.a and n.a at the momment. I'm awake in bed tonight thinking i don't fit in with rages or media, jah or babylon, above ground or underground, and mostly everyone at a.a and n.a seem to be underground and pretty rough and it doesn't have to be in the physical violence sense, although half of them perhaps would have my nose broken before i got my real say edge ways, though those that aren't physical it seems to be in words also and will cut you down faster than a bulldozer mowing down a tree, there heart breakers but hurt people hurt people supposedly that's what is told in the n.a and a.a circles around my part of the woods so i assume these people have had there hearts shattered to the point of despair and that is why there there and i need to try and understand this. But i get all that from the supposed goody too shoes as well in the above ground/media/babylon except there more calculated and cunning applying a slow and painful death. I fit in nowhere i am an Israelite/child of GOD cast out into the valley of bones. I have to stop hoping in the world and place all my hope in GOD. But will hopefully continue to plug along in a.a and n.a, who knows perhaps i'm being paranoid and it is all a figment of my imagination and also i must understand i too have a sickness for drugs and alcohol that needs to be addressed even though i may not fit the model of alcoholic or addict the only requirement for membership is the desire to give up drugs and alcohol.  I had 4 and a half months up had 2 busts over a month and now i'm back up to a month clean and sober, 4 and a half months was the longest i have gone without mind altering substances since i was about 13 or 14, i wasn't ever a daily user or drinker and i didn't need it 1st thing in the morning and i could happily go any time a week or 2 without it but when it started to give me psychological and emotional turmoil i started trying to quit 4 years ago and got a month here, 2 months there and a few 3 month periods at a.a and one 3 month stint in rehab, i have started n.a now as well because i have had problems with dope/marijuana and gear/heroin. I hope this is the time i go the rest of my life without the junk, the funk and the freakin drunk. I don't need to conform but i do need to let Gods love transform me, i really don't wan't to conform because i also have a loathing for the principles of babylon, though i love and respect all her citizens and like i said Jahs kingdom is nasty also, i'm not on either side, and if allowing Gods love to transform me transforms anyone else by my example than bonus if not at least i have submitted to Gods love and healed. Thanks for listening. God bless.

Jesus iz LORD.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Oh Tab.   :hug:   You are fighting a valiant battle, and we are here for you and praying for you.

Have you tried seeing if there is a different AA/NA group near you?  Finding the right group can make a big difference.  You need to find one with people who are fighting this in a way that supports you.    Usually there is some kind of a phone number you can call (or spot you can check on the internet) that will tell you about ALL the meetings that are near you... see if there isn't one that is a better fit for you.

Or just check in with us sometimes, OK?   Praying for you.

Josh and Tab, my dad had about 30-40 years of sobriety thru AA before he died.... and I think he had developed an incredible connection with God through his AA fellowship.   He wasn't Catholic, but when the time came to have him buried, I had to contact his Episcopal minister to see if he could be buried from their Church.  The minister looked at the photo and at me  (I had been married the spring before that, and the best picture of my dad was with me in my wedding gown....) and the minister looked at me, and at him, and at the photo again and said, " yes, I DO recognize him... but not because he came to Church much here on Sundays.  I recognize him because he would sit in the back of the Church by the hour during the week days.   I asked him a few times if I could help him, but he said no, he just wanted to sit with God here.  Now.... that was fascinating to me, because I believe he had developed a VERY deep and intimate relationship with God.... but he had no clue he had done this.  He told me he envied my relationship with God, but that the only way he was able to connect with God was through the kind of 1:1 relationship with God/Higher Power that he had learned through AA.   My guess..... he probably was going through some kind of a Dark Night and was much closer to God than he even realized.

And so I think it may be with both you, Tab, and with Josh.   And we are so proud of you.   Stay in the battle.   :crusader:   Continue to ride with your King!   :knight:

Edited by AnneLine

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I don't have to battle anneline, i have to surrender that is the whole point of the program, "I can't but God can." Surrender to win, or as Our LORD put it "loose your life to gain it." I will leave the fighting of the demons to the angels.

The 1st step is pretty much that i am powerless and my life has become unmanageable to varying degrees in varying areas, and the one whom has the power to restore me is GOD, i have to surrender and admit i am powerless meaning GOD is all powerful. Something like that anyway.

I don't have to battle anneline, i have to surrender that is the whole point of the program, "I can't but God can." Surrender to win, or as Our LORD put it "loose your life to gain it." I will leave the fighting of the demons to the angels.

The 1st step is pretty much that i am powerless and my life has become unmanageable to varying degrees in varying areas, and the one whom has the power to restore me is GOD, i have to surrender and admit i am powerless meaning GOD is all powerful. Something like that anyway.

correction accepted!

• 4 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I have decided that i am not an alcoholic but am a hard drinker and still need to and still desire to give up alcohol meaning i can't drink alcohol. I let the precious blood touch my lips today which i hadn't done since about November last year. My reasoning is that i don't think i have the allergic reaction to alcohol that a.a says alcoholics have whether born with or incurred, like type 1 and type 2 diabetes. I still understand though that i can't have even 1 shot of alcohol nor even a thimble recreationally, that even though i am a hard drinker i must give up any kind of recreational drinking of alcohol because i am in grave danger of becoming an alcoholic of the type 2 variety. And supposedly scientifically the precious blood of Christ still has alcohol content in it, which i'm unsure how they discerned that without desecrating the precious blood, but this is a matter of faith and for me it is the precious blood of Christ and not recreational alcohol, if it even does still have the properties of alcohol and someone didn't lie to me, and i am not an alcoholic. Perhaps someone took it and spat it out in a cup to be examined at a later date, in that spirit it would have stayed alcohol right or returned to it's natural state because of the misintentions of such a person but either way if it does contain the earthly properties of alcohol or not i am not using it recreationally and have not the allergic reaction and too can use mouthwash.

I will continue to go to meetings though when i can and when i am tempted to drink alcohol for the only requirement for membership is the desire to not drink alcohol.

Are you still going to the occasional meeting Jo$h?

I have 7 months coming up in a few days without consuming any alcohol.......God has completely removed the desire to drink.......Still haven't been to a meeting since the last time I posted I went.......Not thrilled about that but grateful I haven't taken a drink........Only because I'm an idiot who drinks and doest stop......So this the punishment I get.........I would love a beer right now although it's all good and I'm grateful........Good luck to you Tab.......

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Tab and Josh... and anyone else making use of this thread... still praying for you, still hoping all is going well for you!

Hey appreciate it !!! Thanks for your prayers they have got me this far......Will be 8 months in a couple of weeks....Thought about going to buffalo wild wings to drink today and as soon as the thought entered my mind it was dismissed....Which sucks in a way becuase today would of been a great day to watch basketball and drink beer and eat wings....But it was cool how quickly and easy I was able to dismiss the idea.....In the past before aa that eas impossible.....And i mean literally impossible...God is good...Thanks again for the prayers !

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Hey appreciate it !!! Thanks for your prayers they have got me this far......Will be 8 months in a couple of weeks....Thought about going to buffalo wild wings to drink today and as soon as the thought entered my mind it was dismissed....Which smells of elderberries in a way becuase today would of been a great day to watch basketball and drink beer and eat wings....But it was cool how quickly and easy I was able to dismiss the idea.....In the past before aa that eas impossible.....And i mean literally impossible...God is good...Thanks again for the prayers !

Can't you just have the wings and watch the basketball. Just leave if the desire to drink becomes to powerful. You could test yourself out with this, or not. Some can still go places where people are consuming alcohol and some can't. I can for now, i drink soft drink,tea,coffee and water and vape, not every week but sometimes don't wan't to test my vest to much, yet. Great places for evangelising prodigal sons and daughters.

I'm pretty much 8mnths sober also(quit date was 22 september 2013) except one dizzy where i had 4 drinks and got really sick because i could smell the croutons on my breath and in the cup and it was putrid and almost made me vomit. I was in a bad circumstance around undesirable people that i didn't really know much and they where getting high, so idiot had to have a little bit of the old red dwarf and got paranoid and thought a few drinks would fix that. S to tha T to tha O. O. P. I. D. Over it now though, 2 months since that happened. Alcohol and drugs where also part of the reason for me fearing death and violence.

Keep up the good work Josh in faith, hope and love, god bless you bro and thanks anneline for the support and prayers and thanks all others whom have done the same. God bless you all.