An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview With Pope Francis In America Magazine

Basilisa Marie

I have no problem with different approaches being used, but I do doubt the wisdom of de-emphasizing the Church's constant moral teaching at a time when the greatest attack on the faith is focused primarily in that very area. It looks like a form of capitulation. No good will come of it, and it could actually result in a loss of faith by those who have fought the hardest for the Church.

I get what you're saying… it seems that way but yet we must have faith… and hope.  The Pope is not capitulating… I believe that he is trying a different approach. I don't think the Pope wishes to deemphasize morality… he merely wishes to establish a foundation from which to speak about morality, effectively and a way that will be far-reaching.

He's not de-emphasizing moral teaching.  That's something you miss because you have a sodomy-centric world view.  

Well, perhaps if he were more precise things would be different. This is one time where I think the news media is actually not distorting Pope Francis' comments, but reading them fairly accurately.

Edited by Apotheoun

...you have a sodomy-centric world view.  

Aren't you the one using that word more than anyone here?

Edited by Seven77

I get what you're saying… it seems that way but yet we must have faith… and hope.  The Pope is not capitulating… I believe that he is trying a different approach. I don't think the Pope wishes to deemphasize morality… he merely wishes to establish a foundation from which to speak about morality, effectively and a way that will be far-reaching.

Yes, faith and hope in the Lord, but not in mortal men doomed to die.

Resisting the urge to say "me too."

From this point forward every post I make in this thread will somehow incorporate the word 'sodomy' into it.  The Pope may not not be able to discuss sodomy enough for some people but I can certainly fill that hole.  The metaphorical one in their lives.  

Fidei Defensor

From this point forward every post I make in this thread will somehow incorporate the word 'sodomy' into it.  The Pope may not not be able to discuss sodomy enough for some people but I can certainly fill that hole.  The metaphorical one in their lives.  

You win the internet.

Yes, faith and hope in the Lord, but not in mortal men doomed to die.

Who is talking about having faith in mortal men that are doomed to die? Certainly not me. I believe in the Divine Institution of the Church as do you.

From this point forward every post I make in this thread will somehow incorporate the word 'sodomy' into it.  

Is that a new policy? I thought it was your existing practice.

Fidei Defensor

Is that a new policy? I thought it was your existing practice.

Sometimes it takes a more stimulating conversation to lubricate the practice.

Who is talking about having faith in mortal men that are doomed to die? Certainly not me.

I was just making my comment as clear as possible, and so it was not meant as a type of accusation against you personally. It was just a statement of fact.

Sure, it colors our perception, but I think it also gives us insight into what many young Catholics are collectively focusing on.  Outside that bubble, I think a lot of what Dust said holds true - people are talking about Pope Francis, and it's an opportunity for Joe Catholic to stand up and represent. 

The issue with that is that this is the Joe Catholic who is going to be standing up and representing:

Joe_Biden_4_.jpg

I thought this was interesting response to the article concerning the Pope - http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2013/09/poking-the-pope.html

It discuss Francis' background and the application of his various comments in consideration of post-Christian European countries.

Very insightful. And so is this: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/19/lets-not-just-talk-about-sex-what-pope-francis-really-said-to-jesuit/