An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Direction - Should You Pay For It?

AccountDeleted

Spiritual Direction - should there be a charge?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, the money is unexpected to me because I have never had to pay so much before, and unreasonable (to me) because I am unemployed and unable to pay that much. It seems to me that spiritual help should be available even to those who have very little money.

If I had the money, I would at least give one of these centers a try but that isn't even an option.

But, I have made other efforts to find someone I can afford, and am just waiting now to see how that pans out.

While the amount of money seems unreasonable, I think that if it was a house full of Padre Pio's for instance, than it would seem like a bargain no matter how poor you were.

AccountDeleted

While the amount of money seems unreasonable, I think that if it was a house full of Padre Pio's for instance, than it would seem like a bargain no matter how poor you were.

Well, I don't know if you have ever been really poor, but even if St John of the Cross was offering spiritual direction, I still wouldn't have the $50. I would certainly pray really hard for it, but I haven't learned how to multiply loaves and fishes yet!:)

AccountDeleted

There are not many fit to even give spiritual direction because few have attained any spiritual advancement.

I agree, and St John of the Cross even went on to say that it was better to have no spiritual director than to have a bad one. But I have found that God can often speak to one through a spiritual director, not because of the person's holiness but because God can do anything! :)

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

This is an excellent question.  One thing I have noticed lately is the interest of young people in having a spiritual directors. This might indicate that many are earnest in growing in the spiritual life, but it could also point to the fact that more people are studying SD, and hearing about it.

I have never paid for SD. However, a few years ago when I was responsible for welcoming our guests, a Methodist minister came looking for spiritual direction. I was designated. He was taking a course in learning how to be a Spiritual Director and was required to have spiritual direction. Well, he insisted on paying $50 per appointment. I didn't want to take it but he insisted.

So, to your question. I do not think SD should have a $-sign on it. Selling spiritual things is the sin of simony. If a person wants to make a donation that's fine, but not a specific price tag.

Also, as far as finding a spiritual director. It does not have to be a priest. One of the things to look for is someone who lives their Faith and is knowledgeable about the spiritual life. It could be a priest, a sister, one a lay person. You want to find someone who is "dynamically orthodox"... titles are not a requirement.

Blessings,

Sr. Mary Jeremiah, OP

AccountDeleted

This is an excellent question.  One thing I have noticed lately is the interest of young people in having a spiritual directors. This might indicate that many are earnest in growing in the spiritual life, but it could also point to the fact that more people are studying SD, and hearing about it.

I have never paid for SD. However, a few years ago when I was responsible for welcoming our guests, a Methodist minister came looking for spiritual direction. I was designated. He was taking a course in learning how to be a Spiritual Director and was required to have spiritual direction. Well, he insisted on paying $50 per appointment. I didn't want to take it but he insisted.

So, to your question. I do not think SD should have a $-sign on it. Selling spiritual things is the sin of simony. If a person wants to make a donation that's fine, but not a specific price tag.

Also, as far as finding a spiritual director. It does not have to be a priest. One of the things to look for is someone who lives their Faith and is knowledgeable about the spiritual life. It could be a priest, a sister, one a lay person. You want to find someone who is "dynamically orthodox"... titles are not a requirement.

Blessings,

Sr. Mary Jeremiah, OP

Thank you for your input Sister. I have stuck to priests because we don't have many 'dynamically orthodox' communities of religious women here in Australia. It's not that we have many 'dynamically orthodox' priests either but I have found a few.

I am happy to take spiritual direction from anyone who fulfills all the requirements you list above, it's just that I can't seem to find someone like that who doesn't charge $50 per session. I agree with you that the money shouldn't be a fee but a donation (of what the person can afford to pay).

Thanks for the input Barb. I have contacted a church in Melbourne and offered them a donation (not $50) and am waiting to hear back from them if they do it and if they will accept what I can afford right now.

Will keep your intentions in prayer, nunsense, especially re spiritual direction.  I would be truly shocked........truly.....alarmed indeed......if anyone was ever turned away for spiritual direction because of lack of ability to pay a stipulated fee.

I wouldn't pay for spiritual direction. That's worse than prostitution, IMO. But then again, I probably wouldn't go to a stranger for such direction either. If they're not a friend, I don't see the point of going to them.

I didn't vote -- because my vote would be "it depends"

Well, I have a number of viewpoints.

I currently have a spiritual director who has a set fee (suggested donation).  The community he is with will never turn someone down who cannot afford the suggested donation, and the money goes to the community to support the retreat house.

I will dare say that the fee (even if it is a set fee) is a negotiable.  I don't think that a spiritual director worth his/her weight in gold would ever not be willing to negotiate the fee.

I think there are reasons for the fee.  For example -- in the case of a lay person, there may be training involved in becoming a spiritual director.  A lot of times, this expense is picked up by the person (and no other institution, i.e. diocese or parish may be helping with that expense).  That may be part of the reason for the fee -- to help defray the cost of training that has been undertaken, or in order to be able to take further studies (post-training courses).  You kind of wished that such training would be free for those who are interested, but alas it is not and it can be quite an expense.

Example:  Lanteri Center's summer residential formation program for spiritual directors costs $2250 (room and board + tuition) + 300 for prerequisites + supervisor compensation.  I think it's at least two summers (about 4450).

Another example:  Creighton university offers a graduate certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed retreat.  Requires 18 credits (not counting 12 credits of prerequisites).  30 credits x $365 per credit = $10,950, and this doesn't include room and board.

So if you look at it from that point of view, a lay person who has paid for their training can be in a good amount of debt when done.  They may have no choice but to look to try to make up for it by charging for Spiritual direction.

Hence, I wouldn't immediately look at it from the point of view that a director should never charge a fee for spiritual direction, especially if the director is well trained.  And as a directee, if you have a well trained director consider offering a donation, because a well trained director may be a gem of a find.

You may luck out and find a director with such a natural gift for spiritual direction that they never had an ounce of training.  That's a different story too. 

Finally -- a directee can always try to negotiate a rate, even when the rate "is set" (as in a retreat/spirituality center).  You'd be surprised at what can happen if you ask/explain your situation.  You may even get a "well, in your circumstance, please don't advertise this, but we'll take you for free ..."

Charging for spiritual direction? That sounds pretty insane to me. When I asked my spiritual director to be mine, he never said anything about money. He just said we should pray for the next three days to the Holy Spirit to see if he's supposed to be my spiritual director, and at the end of the three days he called and said he would do it. Believe it or not, he's actually paid me $20. I guess he was really impressed with my altar serving skills or something.

Charging for spiritual direction? That sounds pretty insane to me. When I asked my spiritual director to be mine, he never said anything about money. He just said we should pray for the next three days to the Holy Spirit to see if he's supposed to be my spiritual director, and at the end of the three days he called and said he would do it. Believe it or not, he's actually paid me $20. I guess he was really impressed with my altar serving skills or something.

Are you sure he wasn't paying you to leave him alone, but you missed the subtle hint?

my spiritual director is a laywoman who is going through formal training in Ignatian direction. I am her "practicum" - e.g. guinea pig so she doesn't have me pay anything. We are helping each other kind of.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, when I was discerning my vocation, I sought SD but couldn't afford the payments. I think it was $30 per session. At the time I was making minimum wage, working part-time and going to school. I think SD would have been helpful, but I couldn't afford to pay at the time.

AccountDeleted

you get what you pay for

Spoken like a person who can afford to get whatever they want. Congratulations!

The reality however is that not everyone is so fortunate as to be endowed with riches like you and most of us simple folk have to make do with whatever we can afford, even if it isn't top of the line.      :|