An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Direction - Should You Pay For It?

AccountDeleted

Spiritual Direction - should there be a charge?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

Just because it is a name, doesn't mean it is the person's name.   All of us have the right to not have our everyday usage name used on Phatmass. 

I am pretty sure Nunsense did it unintentionally, because I remember her not much liking her own name being used at one point, but I do think that CMaria had every reason to ask hers not be used.   Some people do prefer to have theirs used; I only use yours, Miles, because at one point you specified you prefer it to 'FP'. 

I felt the same way when someone used my everyday name.    I generally prefer AL... and I'll come to Annie or anything kind.   Hey you, ugly llama, not so much!

Oh, I'm completely aware that her screenname was most likely not her actual name. I was just making a joke.

From what I've seen, a lot of places have a "requested donation" for spiritual direction.  Maybe not if we're talking about a parish priest who squeezes in a few directees, but if direction is the person's primary ministry then yes some money needs to come in.  SDs (or their communities, if they are consecrated religious) need to buy groceries and keep the lights on and such.

From what I have seen there has been some room for negotiation.  If there isn't in this situation, well I'm willing to assume the best of the individuals involved and assume they are in a position where they are so strapped they really really can't as much as they wish they could.

After all, when my grandparents went to Catholic schools there was no tuition.  (For elementary schools at least.)  I'm not sure about my parents' generation but tuition was awfully low.  That isn't possible anymore.  And the schools do what they can with scholarships and whatnot but a lot of people are priced out.  Which stinks but that's just reality and the way of things.

Though it still remains really stinky for you, and I'm sorry and I'll pray that something falls into place and until it does tell the Holy Spirit "Hey bud, this one is all on you for the time being!  Better step up to the plate!"  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

My name is Early, caught you in the shower. Sorry. Try and wash between your toes and behind your ears also. And all other nooks and crannies we sometimes couldn't be bothered cleaning. :) Hey R2Dtoo check out Canton Jones new album if you like, it's called DOMINIONAIRE. I Dares you to listen to the whole thing at least once. :) Love yah. PEACE.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye