An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was Macht Der Fuchs Sagan?

cartermia

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:54 AM, TheresaThoma said:

A book you may want to read is He Leadth Me. It is a beautiful spiritual book written by a priest whose life definitely did not turn out how he had planned but was able to completely abandon himself to Divine Providence.

Hands-down one of the best books I've ever read.

Carter, you and your mom are in my prayers. I know how hard it can be.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks y'all for the prayers! 

My mom and I aren't talking about the "vocation" stuff. She us acting like I never brought it up. Right now though, I'm trying to figure out colleges and majors. I'm considering some local in state colleges but am also going to apply to Notre Dame and Thomas Aquinas College just to see if I can get in. I would love to major in keyboard studies and have the organ as my primary instrument. 

@EA I am still in love with the Benedictine charisma but Dominican saints and anything Dominican has been stalking me. I know a contemplative order though. I couldn't do a active order. 

IgnatiusofLoyola
On 9/30/2016 at 9:38 PM, cartermia said:

My mom and I aren't talking about the "vocation" stuff. She us acting like I never brought it up. Right now though, I'm trying to figure out colleges and majors. I'm considering some local in state colleges but am also going to apply to Notre Dame and Thomas Aquinas College just to see if I can get in. I would love to major in keyboard studies and have the organ as my primary instrument. 

@EA I am still in love with the Benedictine charisma but Dominican saints and anything Dominican has been stalking me. I know a contemplative order though. I couldn't do a active order. 

I'm sure the Summit Dominicans would love to welcome an accomplished organist!! (Assuming you were called there, of course.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 7:58 AM, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

I'm sure the Summit Dominicans would love to welcome an accomplished organist!! (Assuming you were called there, of course.)

Haha I'll have to check them out! They are up east, right? 

So so I have gotten in to Murray State University here in Kentucky and have full tuition there. They have a great music program and I'm actually leaning towards that school the most right now. 

I just don't want to go into massive debt and have to pay it off before entering religious life. I guess I'm being influenced by money with this current choice but Murray has the best keyboard department in the state of Kentucky. 

CountrySteve21
29 minutes ago, cartermia said:

So so I have gotten in to Murray State University here in Kentucky and have full tuition there. They have a great music program and I'm actually leaning towards that school the most right now. 

I just don't want to go into massive debt and have to pay it off before entering religious life. I guess I'm being influenced by money with this current choice but Murray has the best keyboard department in the state of Kentucky. 

Congratulations.

IgnatiusofLoyola
53 minutes ago, cartermia said:

Yes, they are in Summit, New Jersey, a lovely suburb, not THAT far from New York City.

Here is their Web site. It has a new blog almost every day. http://summitdominicans.org/  They are also active on Facebook and Twitter. It's an older foundation, but one with nuns of all ages, including a number of young nuns--the novitiate currently has four nuns--three novices and one postulant, along with several nuns under 30 or so who have made their solemn vows within the past few years.

If you ever want to talk about either the Summit Dominicans, or any Dominican cloistered Community in the U.S., we have an incredible resource in @Sr Mary Catharine OP. She is the Novice Mistress of the Summit Dominicans and logs into Phatmass almost every day. (As far as I know she only posts in VS, but you could also PM her.) Sister Mary Catharine is also one of the leaders of an association of cloistered Dominican nuns in the U.S., so she knows a lot about other Dominican cloistered Communities in addition to her own.

Heck, even if you are not ready to discern yet, Sister Mary Catharine is someone to introduce yourself to. She and her Community love to pray for people. They even pray for me!!!  :o

Congrats on getting into Murray State with tuition paid! That's a big help if you're not sure you're ready to actively discern yet, but want to pursue your organ studies. I can't imagine ANY Community, no matter the charism, being anything other than enthused about the possibility of an expert organist!

Best of luck! 

On 01/10/2016 at 3:38 AM, cartermia said:

Benedictines are the best. Objectively speaking.

St. Cecilia's are very international....not that I'm biased towards them or anything like that. Their novice mistress is actually American.

IgnatiusofLoyola
21 hours ago, EmilyAnn said:

Benedictines are the best. Objectively speaking.

St. Cecilia's are very international....not that I'm biased towards them or anything like that. Their novice mistress is actually American.

By St. Cecilia's, do you mean the Nashville Dominicans? (I know so little about Benedictines that there could easily be a Benedictine Community of St. Cecilia, and I wouldn't know about it. Sorry.)  In my post to cartermia, I didn't mention the Nashville Dominicans (although they are very musical) because they are an active teaching Order, and cartermia said she was interested in a contemplative, rather than an active Community.

On 10/21/2016 at 0:45 PM, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

By St. Cecilia's, do you mean the Nashville Dominicans? (I know so little about Benedictines that there could easily be a Benedictine Community of St. Cecilia, and I wouldn't know about it. Sorry.)  In my post to cartermia, I didn't mention the Nashville Dominicans (although they are very musical) because they are an active teaching Order, and cartermia said she was interested in a contemplative, rather than an active Community.

Murray, the college I am thinking of going to, is 1.5 hours away from the Nashies. I might go on a retreat there but I could never (and my SD agrees) be a part of an active community. 

EA, Cecilia is a Benedictine community located where? Isn't it in somewhere in Europe (England possibly???) lol I cannot remember. 

Yall, I have a lot going on with school/life. It is just getting a little bit too complex for me to handle right now. Prayers/thoughts please! I really can not deal with some people (especcially my mom) right now because everyone is questioning my life decisions and thinking they are permanent. They aren't. I'm 17. How the heck am I suppose to know what I want to do at what college and how to get a job afterwards. Sheesh. I can barely get through a solid day without some type of internal breakdown. 

5 hours ago, CountrySteve21 said:

It does seem overwhelming. I find it helpful to focus on one thing and day at a time.

Yeah, right now, I am just trying to get through volleyball season so I can focus on my college classes (my high school classes aren't hard.) Also after volleyball season, I'll start working on scholarships/grants so I can pay for college. 

CountrySteve21
14 hours ago, cartermia said:

Yeah, right now, I am just trying to get through volleyball season so I can focus on my college classes (my high school classes aren't hard.) Also after volleyball season, I'll start working on scholarships/grants so I can pay for college. 

Sounds smart :) 

On 21/10/2016 at 5:45 PM, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

No - St. Cecilia's is a Benedictine community here in the UK. I discerned with them and they are wonderful. They're very traditional, lots of Latin, very musical and very interntational. :)http://www.stceciliasabbey.org.uk/

On 23/10/2016 at 4:12 AM, cartermia said:

EA, Cecilia is a Benedictine community located where? Isn't it in somewhere in Europe (England possibly???) lol I cannot remember. 

Yup, they're in England (although their community is originally from Belgium). They're on the Isle of Wight.

<p>So today during my lunch period at school I kind of had a spiritual breakdown. I realized that I needed to see my Lord in the Blessed Sacrament so I kind of snuck out of school and went to church (I go to a catholic school so the church is 50ft away.) I grabbed my veil from my locker and headed over to church. When I got there I passed my spiritual director who was there with his class. He looked at me like what are you here and not at lunch? I just shook my head and mouthed I’d tell him later. </p>

<p>I went to the back corner pew and knelt. I didn’t know how to pray it felt like but I looked at the monstrance. I must have stared at Him for several minutes; while I stared, I felt a sense of peace and serenity that I haven’t felt in a long time. Yet, I also felt fear. I felt fear for the uncertainty of life, of my family relations, and of my vocation. I have consecrated myself totally to My Lady and am her slave. I know my family may not be the most willing to accept my vocation now but I felt a peace that they will later. Last but not least, I felt an uncertainty about my vocation. </p>

<p>Recently I’ve been thinking about a lot of different orders and communities. When I was younger, I had my heart set on the Benedictines. As I grow older, I have a yearning to learn more about the Dominicans and to discern that order. My spiritual director has mentioned Dominicans time and time again and it has been my unwillingness to even allow myself that option that is bothering me. I need to look at their charisms (any info appreciated!!) and be logical in my discernment. </p>

<p></p>

<p>Pray for me oh Holy Mother of God that I made be worthy of the promises of everlasting life!</p>

On 10/25/2016 at 2:15 AM, EmilyAnn said:

No - St. Cecilia's is a Benedictine community here in the UK. I discerned with them and they are wonderful. They're very traditional, lots of Latin, very musical and very interntational. :)http://www.stceciliasabbey.org.uk/

Yup, they're in England (although their community is originally from Belgium). They're on the Isle of Wight.

I'm going to have to look into them EA!!! Trads, musical, Benedictine... what's not to love? 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a brief meeting with the bishop of my diocese about my discernment tomorrow. He is coming to dedicate the memorial prolife garden I created and then we are sitting down and discussing my vocation. My SD said it was time to involve him. The diocesan vocation director already knows I'm discerning because he is related to me and I told him but bishop doesn't know. Prayers please!!!