An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns As A " God-given Right"

PhuturePriest

If we stay consistent with atheistic materialism, we are in fact dumb animatrons.  If there is no spiritual dimension to reality, all our ideas and concepts are determined purely by the physical movements of atoms and such in our brains.

Concepts of human dignity and the intrinsic value of human life are obviously not in conflict with Christian thought, but their objective reality is in conflict with atheism, if we're logically consistent.  (Fortunately, most atheists are not.)

It's simple; if moral standards are the invention of man alone, man can just as easily deny or change them - there's no objective standard to judge by.

And the majority can easily decide to oppress or deny the rights of the minority if it sees fit (this has happened many times through history).  

If majority opinion is what ultimately makes right, then by definition, the majority can never be wrong.  We have no basis to judge anything the majority in a given society practiced or allowed.

Materialism is, in a certain sense, more in touch with "objective reality" because that is all it has to go on. It is religion that tries to draw universal significance and situate man in something larger than his objective reality. To say we are a physical movement of atoms is beside the point...by whatever process, those atoms came together at a certain point in time, in a certain place, in a certain gene pool, and formed a particular material being (i.e., animal).

The "objective moral standard" of religion provides no guarantee of preserving some "objective reality." And in fact, it usually produces the opposite, because the "objective moral standard" exists apart from the objective reality of people with faces, in which case you get Christian societies where it's okay to slaughter heathens or brown people thousands of miles away, in the name of an "objective reality" that exists independent of people with faces (and includes a whole mythology of supernatural beings who take priority over people with faces).

Humans adopt moral standards because the standards suit them in some way, not because they bend themselves into an iron-clad, eternal "objective standard." When the early fanaticism of Christianity no longer suited the situation, the church settled in and became no longer a remnant awaiting the Lord Jesus, but the mistress of all the world and the "perfect society" where peasant, priest, knight, and lord all had a role. But in reality, regardless of this "objective standard," society was still society...the people still slept with each other's wives, raped, pillaged, gambled, got drunk (everything Chaucer narrates in The Canterbury Tales). The "objective reality" was a big cosmic game more than an actual reality...instead of shrinks people worked out their lives in the confessional, in the Mass, in penance, in feast days, in whatever. But society was not actually any holier...it was the same society it's always been, which is not to say it didn't make advancements, but that it made advancements to the extent that they suited society, which is true of every society, depending on how the material reality develops. When the objective material reality favored the rise of capitalism, individualism, industrialism...then it came along and got the church's blessing, and the old "objective reality" ceased to exist, or else we would still be medievals. Animals have no higher mental functioning, and they even manage to figure out that it's good to protect the pack...you don't need platonic "objective standards" to achieve that.

Concepts of human dignity don't require a Christian "objective standard." Peasants in Christendom hardly had the human dignity that was not earned for many centuries and many attempts to break free from the society Christianity had created (which was not all bad, just not some "objective reality").

Edited by Era Might

Materialism is, in a certain sense, more in touch with "objective reality" because that is all it has to go on. It is religion that tries to draw universal significance and situate man in something larger than his objective reality. To say we are a physical movement of atoms is beside the point...by whatever process, those atoms came together at a certain point in time, in a certain place, in a certain gene pool, and formed a particular material being (i.e., animal).

. . . 

Another long, unfocused rant which largely misses the point of my posts.

It's not atheists having morality or moral standards that is problematic or irrational, but rather their atheism.

My point is simply that if we are nothing but the purposeless,random dance of meaningless atoms and all our thoughts and ideals are nothing but the meaningless physical motion of electrons in our heads, then this whole discussion is ultimately pointless.

There's then really nothing to ethics or "human rights" beyond personal or majority preference.

Much of the rest of your post seems to boil down to the truism that oftentimes self-proclaimed Christians have failed to live up to the moral teachings of Christ, but that does nothing to prove those moral ideals false, mush less disprove the truth of the Christian Faith or the existence of God.  

There has been hypocrisy and evil in the Church since Judas Iscariot - wheat and chaffe, sheep and goats, etc., so none of that should come as a shock to the believing Christian.

At least with the Christian Faith, there are objective ideals against which to judge human behavior, while atheism gives no standard at all.  If atheism is true, there is really no good or evil - things just are.  An act of genocide has ultimately no more significance than one strand of bacteria wiping out another strand.

Ironically, atheists commonly use such purely immaterial concepts as justice, rights, or dignity to condemn religion or "theism."

And personally, I find the idea that randomly-existing, meaningless atoms just happened to come together by pure chance processes to form a human being who can love, think, and debate philosophy far more unbelievable than a Creator God who is the source of Existence itself, but if that's what you choose to believe, there's probably not much I can say to persuade you otherwise.

Winchester

What benefits me is if moral busybodies don't appoint a goon squad to attack me because they're afraid my gun might have a shoulder thing that goes up.

Benedictus

Glad guns are rare in my country (minus the odd landowner or farmer in rural areas), to the point that most police don't handle them either. They have enough trouble trying to handle batons, pepper spray and tasers without causing public outrage! I don't really trust the average person to have the brain power required to have access to guns.

Nihil Obstat

Glad guns are rare in my country (minus the odd landowner or farmer in rural areas), to the point that most police don't handle them either. They have enough trouble trying to handle batons, pepper spray and tasers without causing public outrage! I don't really trust the average person to have the brain power required to have access to guns.

Does that strike you as being at all misanthropic?

Winchester

I have no problem with you having your opinion. I have a problem with those who wish to have their opinions inflicted upon others by the use of violence. 

If we stay consistent with atheistic materialism, we are in fact dumb animatrons. If there is no spiritual dimension to reality, all our ideas and concepts are determined purely by the physical movements of atoms and such in our brains.

Concepts of human dignity and the intrinsic value of human life are obviously not in conflict with Christian thought, but their objective reality is in conflict with atheism, if we're logically consistent. (Fortunately, most atheists are not.)

It's simple; if moral standards are the invention of man alone, man can just as easily deny or change them - there's no objective standard to judge by.

And the majority can easily decide to oppress or deny the rights of the minority if it sees fit (this has happened many times through history).
If majority opinion is what ultimately makes right, then by definition, the majority can never be wrong. We have no basis to judge anything the majority in a given society practiced or allowed.

I had expected better from you. Perhaps my expectations were misplaced.

Deists of all sorts and atheists use logic and reasoning to deduct and infer principles. You simply are claiming an ultimate authority because you were raised and live in a Judea-Christian culture and have placed your faith in God as the ultimate authority. You still have to use reason and logic to defend your principles. That've are no daily objective manifestations if God duels that establishes your cultural understanding of God as supreme.

You can use rational reasoning to defend your position, and do so to establish your position as the most reasonable, but you do not possess any objective evidence that could establish the superiority of your position.

You present basic logical fallacies as faults in others perspectives.

There's a chance you wouldn't understand the advanced logical fallacies.

I probably wouldn't even recognize them, much less understand them. It's my lot in life.

Benedictus

Does that strike you as being at all misanthropic?

No, just a realist :think: Now I could also be slightly cynical about a lot of things. But there is a long list of evidence why I think that's justified. I don't think that stretches to being misanthropic though. I mean even the church sees humankind as fallen and inclined to sin

Nihil Obstat

No, just a realist :think: Now I could also be slightly cynical about a lot of things. But there is a long list of evidence why I think that's justified. I don't think that stretches to being misanthropic though. I mean even the church sees humankind as fallen and inclined to sin

Lots of tools can be, and are misused by sinful people. Are guns fundamentally different?

Benedictus

Lots of tools can be, and are misused by sinful people. Are guns fundamentally different?

Yes, they don't require much effort, proximity or time in order to generate a lot of damage. A bomb would be a step up from a gun. I wouldn't advocate bombs being sold either. Other 'tools', such as knives, aren't so swift and don't necessarily have the primary purpose of killing or causing injury. But it's illegal in my country to carry a knife or anything else construed as a weapon unless it's for a reasonable and or professional purpose.

Edited by Benedictus

Nihil Obstat

Yes, they don't require much effort, proximity or time in order to generate a lot of damage. A bomb would be a step up from a gun. I wouldn't advocate bombs being sold either. Other 'tools', such as knives, aren't so swift and don't necessarily have the primary purpose of killing or causing injury. But it's illegal in my country to carry a knife or anything else construed as a weapon unless it's for a reasonable and or professional purpose.

Why would any normal person want to have a relatively effective weapon, or a tool that might be used for self-defence?

Winchester

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/21st-century-tyranny-disturbing-trend-accidental-shootings-raids-wrong-addresses/