An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns As A " God-given Right"

PhuturePriest

Peak physical condition, emotions and hormones as erratic as a crazy straw.

ronburgundy.jpg

it's all downhill from 12 years old

OnlySunshine

Speaking as a Brit, I find the concept that gun ownership is a "right" of any kind to be fundamentally bizarre.

I'm a pacifist when it comes to guns and war.  I know that old saying "guns don't kill people; people kill people" but if you provide guns, then you have a lethal way for people to kill others.  I'm a moderate (undeclared Independent; registered as Republican to vote in primaries) because I am not conservative with gun ownership.  I also don't believe in the death penalty.  Pro-life all the way!

PhuturePriest

I'm a pacifist when it comes to guns and war.  I know that old saying "guns don't kill people; people kill people" but if you provide guns, then you have a lethal way for people to kill others.  I'm a moderate (undeclared Independent; registered as Republican to vote in primaries) because I am not conservative with gun ownership.  I also don't believe in the death penalty.  Pro-life all the way!

The problem is, there's no way to take away everyone's guns. All you'll be doing is taking away guns from law-abiding citizens and not the criminals. This will make homicides skyrocket.

Lilllabettt

Here in Boston, we're coming up on the anniversary of the Marathon bombings. The perps of that mass casualty situation used a pressure cooker. Shame on corporate america for selling pressure cookers. They provide "a lethal way for people to kill others."

(Btw, are there "nonlethal" ways for people to kill others?)

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE, JUST SO YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CHICKEN DINNER? WHY???????

SELFISH FATTIES AND YOUR CHICKEN DINNERS!!!

OnlySunshine

A pacifist cannot support gun control, so I'm cool with pacifists.

No, a pacifist is anti-war and believes in nonviolence so I am for gun control.  Most pacifists believe that self-defense is necessary, though, but there are better ways, in my opinion of defending yourself than using a gun.

OnlySunshine

Here in Boston, we're coming up on the anniversary of the Marathon bombings. The perps of that mass casualty situation used a pressure cooker. Shame on corporate america for selling pressure cookers. They provide "a lethal way for people to kill others."

(Btw, are there "nonlethal" ways for people to kill others?)

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE, JUST SO YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CHICKEN DINNER? WHY???????

SELFISH FATTIES AND YOUR CHICKEN DINNERS!!!

That's the first time I've ever heard ANYONE use a pressure cooker to kill people, though.  You hear about people using guns all the time.  So, it really isn't the same.  I get it, though.  I understand the argument that inanimate objects aren't inherently evil but we are supposed to avoid occasions of sin.  Having a gun in your house makes it so you'd be able to use it whenever necessary, whether for self-defense or violence.  It's just too dangerous.  Especially since it seems gun locks don't always work...

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

No, a pacifist is anti-war and believes in nonviolence so I am for gun control.  Most pacifists believe that self-defense is necessary, though, but there are better ways, in my opinion of defending yourself than using a gun.

How can you be a pacifist but still be for the government taking away everyone's guns through violence?

PhuturePriest

That's the first time I've ever heard ANYONE use a pressure cooker to kill people, though.  You hear about people using guns all the time.  So, it really isn't the same.

Take away guns and watch how creative people get with ways to kill innocent people. Ever heard of the nail bomb the IRA uses? It's made completely out of things found in your everyday parts store. It's cheap, easy to make, and very deadly. Things like that will start to spike in use if you took guns away. This isn't to mention all of the criminals who will still have guns because criminals don't obey laws.

OnlySunshine

How can you be a pacifist but still be for the government taking away everyone's guns through violence?

Because I'm not a libertarian.  I'm a moderate.  I guess I don't hold up to the definition of "pacifism" 100%.  Maybe I spoke out of turn.  Vocabulary is a beesh.

Hey, if Im gonna get killed by something Id love for it to be creative. Way to kill the creative spirit FP.

KnightofChrist

A real pacifist does not seek to control others, or to have others control others. Government will use violent means to enforce gun control. So you are either not actually a pacifist or you are for controlling people.

OnlySunshine

This is why I don't regularly participate in Debate Table discussions.  I have trouble getting my beliefs across that doesn't sound like I'm flighty or flaky.  I've always had that problem for as long as I can remember and am often misunderstood because of what I say.