An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns As A " God-given Right"

PhuturePriest

Lilllabettt

I already admitted that I did not use the proper terminology.  Now drop it, please.

So if you admit that you are not a pacifist, do you agree with KoC's characterization that by restricting firearms to the government, you are an "aggressor in the name of peace?"

PhuturePriest

I dont believe we should have a world where guns are such an important means of getting food. That is just raising a huge red flag.

Are humans so degenerate now that we are killing each other for basic necessities? The problem isnt with guns, its with people. We shouldn't need guns to get food. We should be trying to find the source of our need for guns and snuff that...instead all people are doing is glorifying this inanimate object as if it is the sole means to freedom and happiness. I think it just goes to show you how flooped up the world is. Thats just my opinion though.

We don't need guns to get meat. We could use bows and arrows and snare traps. But I want you to be the forefront of our bow hunting expeditions to get food. It's a lot harder than using a gun.

So you would rather have the government in total control and have all the weapons? Did you not even look at the links I posted? The deaths in America per decade due to guns are not even a fraction of the deaths caused by dictatorships.

And according to the FBI, the number one weapon used in homicides is baseball bats. Should we outlaw those?

Lilllabettt

I like the debate table because for the most part people here really know their shitake mushrooms. 

Coming here I know I have to be ready to engage on a high level, and if I'm not ready I will get my tush handed to me.

Folk here really know why they believe what they do, and I appreciate that.

Edited by Lilllabettt

PhuturePriest

I like the debate table because for the most part people here really know their shitake mushrooms. 

Coming here I know I have to be ready to engage on a high level, and if I'm not ready I will get my tush handed to me.

Folk here really know why they believe what they do, and I appreciate that.

I've always seen the Debate Table as a place of learning. Not particularly the sides of an issue, but learning how to take a beating and being humble. :P

KnightofChrist

I already admitted that I did not use the proper terminology.  Now drop it, please.

Terminology is not the real problem here. You've stated you support gun control and that citizens should be banned from owning firearms, and that they should be restricted to law enforcement and military. That's aggression against citizens who own guns.

OnlySunshine

Terminology is not the real problem here. You've stated you support gun control and that citizens should be banned from owning firearms, and that they should be restricted to law enforcement and military. That's aggression against citizens who own guns.

I'm being serious when I say I really don't know what you mean when you say I'm being aggressive because I believe in gun control.  I'm not saying that guns should be taken away by force.

KnightofChrist

Still there is something to baseball bats and violent crimes...

American's Weapons of Choice?

What weapons do Americans prefer when using them to commit violent crimes? According to the (FBI's) Unified Crime Index, "personal weapons" -- hands, fists and feet -- were used in 31.1 percent of violent crimes. Other dangerous weapons, like golf clubs, hammers and baseball bats were used in 27.8 percent of violent crimes. Firearms were involved in 26.2 percent of violent crimes, and knives and other cutting instruments in 14.9 percent.

OnlySunshine

Still there is something to baseball bats and violent crimes...

But it's not the number one weapon of choice.  Firearms are the number one cause according to research I did (see links).

OnlySunshine

This is very interesting. Thank you for the correction.

You're welcome.  I'm trying to become better at informed debate.  I never took debate when I was in school so I'm not any good at it.

KnightofChrist

I'm being serious when I say I really don't know what you mean when you say I'm being aggressive because I believe in gun control.  I'm not saying that guns should be taken away by force.

I do see how it makes any real difference, but I also don't see how you would ever accomplish the goal of disarming the citizens unless it was by force. If you don't believe Gun Control works by force, just how do you believe it works?

Devil's Advocate say's "I support speech control, citizens should be banned from using non approved speech or free speech, and that speech should be restricted to law enforcement and military."

Devil's Advocate asks: "Is this aggression?"

Edited by KnightofChrist

PhuturePriest

You're welcome.  I'm trying to become better at informed debate.  I never took debate when I was in school so I'm not any good at it.

I never did, either. :P But oddly enough, I've been debating on the internet for quite a few years now, and it's taught me a lot about good debating.

OnlySunshine

I do see how it makes any real difference, but I also don't see how you would ever accomplish the goal of disarming the citizens unless it was by force. If you don't believe Gun Control works by force, just how do you believe it works?

Devil's Advocate say's "I support speech control, citizens should be banned from using non approved speech or free speech, and that speech should be restricted to law enforcement and military."

Devil's Advocate asks: "Is this aggression?"

I admit I haven't thought ahead to how disarming citizens would be accomplished.  I do see how that would be a problem, though, because there are people that disobey the laws. 

KnightofChrist

But it's not the number one weapon of choice.  Firearms are the number one cause according to research I did (see links).

Yes, thank you. But the original point of whether or not bats should be banned because they are used in acts of violence remains a valid point.