An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns As A " God-given Right"

PhuturePriest

OnlySunshine

Let her clarify. Gun control is enforced with violence. If you believe in gun control that can't be enforced, then it's not really gun control.

Nope, I'm not going back to this.  I already answered it before.

Lilllabettt

Nope, I'm not going back to this.  I already answered it before.

but you haven't resolved the narrative incoherence.

Did you know that people can be charged with a felony for having a shotgun with a barrel shorter than an arbitrary length? That's gun control. People in cages over non-violent activities like owning a short shotgun. You can claim a loose sort of pacifism that permits self defense, but gun control by the state is not remotely self defense.

Lilllabettt

Knock it off. 

Calling attention to the incoherence in the other person's argument is kind of the definition of debate, pumpkin squash.

Don't freak out and turn into a wet blanket. Get some moxie in you and defend your position.

Lilllllaabettt has a point. You don't forge a sword by cuddling it. You heat it to glowing hot and beat it with a hammer. And then it stabs people.

God the Father

uh education and medical care are not rights, beyond one's right to educate oneself and heal oneself. You don't have a right to benefit from my training, knowledge, and service, nor have I a right to benefit from yours. Whether you or I are farmers, doctors, teachers, plumbers, or musicians makes no difference. Performing service is voluntary.

PhuturePriest

uh education and medical care are not rights, beyond one's right to educate oneself and heal oneself. You don't have a right to benefit from my training, knowledge, and service, nor have I a right to benefit from yours. Whether you or I are farmers, doctors, teachers, plumbers, or musicians makes no difference. Performing service is voluntary.

It is the right of every human being to get proper medical care. It is the right of a sick child to get a doctor.

and I am of course a young man around the peak of my physical shape (this isn't to say I believe I can stop bullets with my ninja stare.) However, when you brought to mind people who aren't as physically capable like the elderly, I realized I was looking at gun rights in the narrowest scope I can look through -- my life.

Yeah, I've seen your pics and videos, and you look like a seriously badass mo-fo.  

Definitely wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley. (Even back when I was a 15-year-old ninja badass.)

PhuturePriest

Yeah, I've seen your pics and videos, and you look like a seriously badass mo-fo.  

Definitely wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley. (Even back when I was a 15-year-old ninja badass.)

Fear me and my effeminate red lips. Fear them.

I'm a pacifist when it comes to guns and war.  I know that old saying "guns don't kill people; people kill people" but if you provide guns, then you have a lethal way for people to kill others. 

Yes, because nobody ever killed anybody before the invention of firearms.  (Or was that all non-lethal killing back in the day?)

I'm a moderate (undeclared Independent; registered as Republican to vote in primaries) because I am not conservative with gun ownership.

Actually the right of citizens to keep and bear arms is a classical liberal idea.

Pro-life all the way!

There's nothing "pro-life" about forcibly depriving people of the means to defend their life (and that of family and loved ones) against aggressors.

Edited by Socrates

Here in Boston, we're coming up on the anniversary of the Marathon bombings. The perps of that mass casualty situation used a pressure cooker. Shame on corporate america for selling pressure cookers. They provide "a lethal way for people to kill others."

(Btw, are there "nonlethal" ways for people to kill others?)

Not to mention, the 9-11 attacks, the most infamous mass-murder of recent years, was committed with no guns involved.

And long before guns, people killed with swords, spears, knives, arrows, etc.  Archaeological and historical evidence shows that in ancient and prehistoric times, lethal violence was extremely common, committed with weaponry we'd now consider quite primitive.

People will murder so long as the will to kill exists in the human heart.  Outlawing guns only gives governments and lawless thugs (who manage to obtain guns illegally) a greater advantage over law-abiding citizens.