An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns As A " God-given Right"

PhuturePriest

The thing is, I've never actually heard a LOGICAL explanation for having a gun that couldn't be solved through other means.  If you have no good reason, why have the gun in the first place?  The self-defense argument is a tired one.  There are other methods of self-defense besides owning a firearm.

You ever been in a real fight?

OnlySunshine

You ever been in a real fight?

Nope.  I never once got in a fight in school because I kept to myself.  ;)

Nope.  I never once got in a fight in school because I kept to myself.  ;)

I know people who kept to themselves but were nonetheless victims of bullying.

I think your lack of familiarity with physical conflict causes you to make errors regarding its nature.

And the assumption that there is always a way without the use of guns should apply across the board. Are you advocating disarming government?

OnlySunshine

I think your lack of familiarity with physical conflict causes you to make errors regarding its nature.

And the assumption that there is always a way without the use of guns should apply across the board. Are you advocating disarming government?

You know, I actually need to study for a final exam tomorrow.  I'll come back to this when I have more time to answer.  I'm bookmarking it so I, hopefully, won't forget.

blazeingstar

The thing is, I've never actually heard a LOGICAL explanation for having a gun that couldn't be solved through other means.  If you have no good reason, why have the gun in the first place?  The self-defense argument is a tired one.  There are other methods of self-defense besides owning a firearm.

Because not everyone wants to defend themselves against people.  Bear tranqs are expensive and all you have is a bear who will wake up angry.

The US is still rather rural....I live 50 miles from a major metropolotin area, yet I have had cougar, foxes, wolves and even moose in my yard my neighbor shot one that was rabid.  I am glad he had the means to do so.  I'm also glad it wasn't the moose as they are pretty scary creatures and can easily kill when enraged.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The founding fathers actually feared a standing army, which they saw as a means for the state to oppress the citizens (as had been done by Britain and other European powers).  They favored state militias made up of well-armed, well-trained citizens who owned their own weapons.  The militia was to consist of all male citizens capable of fighting.  It's hard to use the military to oppress the citizenry, when the military is the citizenry.

I agree with you about the founding fathers, and agree to an essentially unlimited right to bear arms - though I'd personally draw the line at weapons of mass destruction.

Most of today's political debate over second amendment rights doesn't concern "extreme" examples like privately-owned nukes, or even personal tanks or attack helicopters, but rather certain types of rather ordinary rifles that certain politicians deem too scary-looking for civilian ownership.

If you think you, or most other ordinary people, can defend yourself against a serious armed attacker using only your flippin' sweet ninja skillz, you've probably been playing too many Batman video games.  Guns help level the playing field, and give those physically weaker, including women and the elderly, a chance to defend themselves against the physically strong.  Remember, God created all men, but Sam Colt made them equal.

In short, the right to own and bear arms (which includes guns) is intimately tied to the right to self-defense.

And maybe I misread it, but your original posts seemed to ridicule the entire idea of a right to own and bear arms.

It's not batman movies, it's not difficult to disarm an attacker as far as i'm told, you don't even need to be that strong or throw an ultra sharp knife with precision in direction 10ft. And tell women that are olympic judo champions there weak, or even those miss universe professional body builders, get out of the beauty pagent mentality and the whole women are weak mentality, dude, obviously you haven't met a black belt 3rd dan tae kwon do female. Women can do push ups too, if they truly believe they can and desire to, and of course your not less of a women if you choose not to.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yes, both are inherently wrong, and undoubtedly the two are not the same. Rape is the much greater sin and crime. But the two do share various similarities. Both requests demand that a person gives up freedom and liberty or they will have it violently taken it away from them. In both one submits to threats of violence or violence is used against them, in both one gives up defending themselves or is attacked with violence for not giving up their defense of themselves.

Im so glad that you agree rape is not on par with taking guns away. I would have probably just left the conversation as to how astoundingly ridiculous that was.

ROFL!

So now you are suggesting we shoot bullies? That somehow physical violence is now so normal that it warrants a lethal weapon? Like seriously when is this a norm to the point where its your defense against a gun ban?

Lack of familiarity with physical conflict? Is that a thing?  rotfl 

Should all school age children bring guns to school to make the bullies scared? 

I was bullied a ton in school yet I never resorted to physical violence of any kind. Why? I dont believe it was necessary.

I used to work at a daycare for 5 years and there was a particular family whose boys were much much more violent than the other children. Their parents told them that if someone called them a name, they were allowed to hit them. You know what I told them? No...they werent allowed to. I dont believe in raising a new generation of children who think physical violence is ok.

This thread is honestly getting to the point where its just ridiculous. Rape is now on par with taking away a gun, physical violence is now something we should be familiar with...like what? Good Lord.

Edited by CrossCuT

I am against a gun ban because 1) It wouldnt work anyway and 2) I still believe that we have a right as citizens to own them.

Why dont you just say that? Why do we have to bring rape into it? Or try to justify violence? 

ROFL!

So now you are suggesting we shoot bullies? That somehow physical violence is now so normal that it warrants a lethal weapon? Like seriously when is this a norm to the point where its your defense against a gun ban?

Do you have a reading disability?

KnightofChrist

Im so glad that you agree rape is not on par with taking guns away. I would have probably just left the conversation as to how astoundingly ridiculous that was.

This thread is honestly getting to the point where its just ridiculous. Rape is now on par with taking away a gun, physical violence is now something we should be familiar with...like what? Good Lord.

Ok now, which is it going to be, believe me or misrepresent me? As I explained my intention was, to get you to think, to see the error in your logic, that there is no violence done so long as someone obeys a demand that goes against their will, a demand backed by threat of violence, and that it only becomes violence when that person disobeys that demand.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Do you all like my new RAM avatar. :) I was debating to myself as to whether i would use this picture or a picture of a computer chip/ram. :lol:

All glory to GOD.

Do you have a reading disability?

It's not a disability.  It's a superpower.  It makes her indefatigable.  You and KoC can never win.   I'm surprised you don't know this already considering you've been on the Phorum a million times longer than me.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

It's not a disability.  It's a superpower.  It makes her indefatigable.  You and KoC can never win.   I'm surprised you don't know this already considering you've been on the Phorum a million times longer than me.

Seemingly you have a different super power at times also no ?

Seemingly you have a different super power at times also no ?

Yes, but nowhere near as powerful as Crosscuts.  I'd only be Robin to her Batman.