An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Book On Homosexual Behaviour

Perigrina

CatholicsAreKewl

Unfortunately you probably already sell your meatballs and cakes to people who are doing those things all the time. I think you should make a check box card of all the things you dont like and ask your customers to fill them out before buy anything so you can judge them on their agreeability to your sensibilities and thus turn them away. But I feel like your list could be better...You should add:

Evil Muslims

Divorced ppl

Murderers

Sex offenders

Unmarried ppl living in sin

Jerks

Fat people

Tree huggers

Why can't a baker decide to only sell to a certain group? Here's how i'd picture it playing out:

1. Tom the baker openly refuses to provide services for gays. 

2. CrossCut and CAK are outraged.

3. CrossCut and CAK tell all their friends to only buy cakes from Steve, the gay friendly baker. 

For someone who throws around the word "hate" a lot I'm not sure you understand what it means.

You do know that ordering a wedding cake is typically more involved than just walking into a store and ringing it up at the register. There's usually a little more planning and detail involved in which people share their intents and purposes for acquiring said delicious pastries and baked goods. It's not a matter of setting up a checklist and judging people on personal sins.

If some guy who jerks off a lot wants to walk into my store to buy a cake I'm not gonna go all FBI third degree on him, but if he's some freak who wants me to make a special custom cake to have sex with, we're entering another territory aren't we? I know it's a ludicrous example. Here's a different one. The head of your friendly neighborhood NAMBLA chapter walks in and wants a doughnut, you charge him a couple bucks and part ways. Next week he comes in and wants you to bake a cake and decorate it for a NAMBLA anniversary party. You know gotta celebrate the organization for surviving some thirty odd years.

Can't you see a difference in the scenarios?

Dude, if anyone feels so strongly about this, then dont freaking sell cakes. In fact, stay home under a rock so that you will never have to deal with people who are doing evil evil sin things.

Edited by CrossCuT

Why can't a baker decide to only sell to a certain group? Here's how i'd picture it playing out:

1. Tom the baker openly refuses to provide services for gays. 

2. CrossCut and CAK are outraged.

3. CrossCut and CAK tell all their friends to only buy cakes from Steve, the gay friendly baker. 

The cake man! THE CAKE!! THIS IS SERIOUS! We cant let an innocent cake be eaten and consumed with the dirty, filthy, loathsome mouths of gay people. Lord almighty! Save us!

Edited by CrossCuT

Nihil Obstat

Dude, if anyone feels so strongly about this, then dont freaking sell cakes. In fact, stay home under a rock so that you will never have to deal with people who are doing evil evil sin things.

That same logic could force OBGYNs to perform abortions.

That same logic could force OBGYNs to perform abortions.

I dont think murder is on par with selling cake to a gay couple.

KnightofChrist

You know, believe it or not but my principles are not tied to cake handling. I dont see how giving or not giving someone a cake would do anything to further my cause. It would just mean Im an ass hole and Im stooping to their stupid level. Im better than that.

No you wouldn't be giving it away, you would be selling it because you'd be in business, and in business to make money, otherwise it would not be a business. You would receive money that was gained by immoral practices for your product, and in turn you would also be gaining from those immoral practices. You would also be giving them part of the means to celebrate their immoral practices. Cakes are for parties after all, and parties at such places would promote the immoral practices.  

While I still highly doubt you would actually sell anything to such a business, lets pretend you would.  What about their repeat business? If you want to stay in business you need repeat business, so you need to make a good cake. If you made them a good cake, they should want to come back regularly, and they'll tell others in the flesh trade that you make good cakes and don't have an issue serving them. Then those businesses will come to you and the process would repeat itself. They would come back, and they would tell others and so on. How much money, if any, would be too much to gain or profit from a immoral practice?

KnightofChrist

its cake

That's a non answer, and in this case cake is money, and where the money comes from should matter. 

Nihil Obstat

I dont think murder is on par with selling cake to a gay couple.

Naturally not, but that does not mean we cannot draw comparisons. Both are cooperation with sinful activities. And I think the logic holds.

Person A in Industry X does not want to perform Action 1. Action 1 is widely accepted in Industry X, therefore Person A should either leave Industry X or perform Action 1.

Person B in Industry Y does not want to perform Action 2. Action 2 is widely accepted in Industry Y, therefore Person B should either leave Industry Y or perform Action 2.

There are any number of examples.

CatholicsAreKewl

The cake man! THE CAKE!! THIS IS SERIOUS! We cant let an innocent cake be eaten and consumed with the dirty, filthy, loathsome mouths of gay people. Lord almighty! Save us!

Should we also force Tom to allow gay people into his home? Forcing private businesses to cater to people they don't want to seems a bit immoral. I brought up the example in my other post because I've dealt with a similar situation in the same way.

My mates and I walk up to a club. Bouncer x doesn't let our black friend in because of his "attire" (though he was dressed better than all of us). We don't go there anymore and our friends don't either. The baker can come up with an excuse like the bouncer's if he really wanted to. It's much easier if he's open about it. Let the general public punish him, not the feds. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

So if I don't want to interact with the world following your idiosyncratic protocols I should cut myself off from society.

Lilllabettt

Unfortunately you probably already sell your meatballs and cakes to people who are doing those things all the time. I think you should make a check box card of all the things you dont like and ask your customers to fill them out before buy anything so you can judge them on their agreeability to your sensibilities and thus turn them away. But I feel like your list could be better...You should add:

Evil Muslims

No cake for Osama!

No cake for Saddam!

So if I don't want to interact with the world following your idiosyncratic protocols I should cut myself off from society.

Yes, but take some cake with you!

That's a non answer, and in this case cake is money, and where the money comes from should matter. 

Tell me more about where the money our country is going. Cake is the least of our problems if you want to go down that road.

Nihil Obstat

Tell me more about where the money our country is going. Cake is the least of our problems if you want to go down that road.

So, since the world has bigger problems, we should all cooperate in grave sin when it is convenient to do so?