An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Book On Homosexual Behaviour

Perigrina

Lilllabettt

That is rather optimistic of you.  I see no reason to think it is ending.

neverendingstorydvdcover.jpg

That movie scarred me as a child more than any gay pride parade ever could.

They had a horse drown in the Swamp of Sadness. It got sad and it sank until it drowned. Are you freaking kidding me??? This movie is for children?????

There are only 3 theological virtues -faith hope and love/charity.  Judgment is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit which we receive at Baptism and are strengthened at Confirmation.  

• Counsel (right judgement): with the gift of counsel/right judgment, we know the difference between right and wrong, and we choose to do what is right. A person with right judgment avoids sin and lives out the values taught by Jesus

According to St. Thomas Aquinas, the gift of counsel (right judgment) corresponds to the virtue of prudence.  This is one of the cardinal virtues, not theological virtues.

You make things not fun.

Im talking about a different judgment. Not "right judgment".

Im talking about the gossipy judgment where people run around name calling and saying how horrible they perceive a person is. Two very different judgments,

Had someone called homosexauls garbage cans you would have defended their dignity, and rightfully so, rather than seeming to agree. 

Oh come now, I am capable of a full spectrum of garbage can calling. Homosexuals eat poorly too. Equality.

Edited by CrossCuT

You make things not fun.

Im talking about a different judgment. Not "right judgment".

Im talking about the gossipy judgment where people run around name calling and saying how horrible they perceive a person is. Two very different judgments,

Actually you have been conflating right judgment with being judgmental all along, apparently in order to dismiss people's concerns about morality. People who are applying Church teaching on cooperation with evil to decide that they should not provide services for certain events are figuring out what is right in order that they might act rightly.  That is exactly what the gift of right judgment is for.  You are labeling such people as being judgmental for doing this.

I have not noticed anyone in this thread saying that they want to run around name-calling and saying how horrible others are.  What we want is to be able to follow our conscience regarding what services we provide, without legal repercussions.

Actually you have been conflating right judgment with being judgmental all along, apparently in order to dismiss people's concerns about morality. People who are applying Church teaching on cooperation with evil to decide that they should not provide services for certain events are figuring out what is right in order that they might act rightly.  That is exactly what the gift of right judgment is for.  You are labeling such people as being judgmental for doing this.

I have not noticed anyone in this thread saying that they want to run around name-calling and saying how horrible others are.  What we want is to be able to follow our conscience regarding what services we provide, without legal repercussions.

I should clarify Im not referencing this thread in particular. There are many many examples of very rude forms of judgment on this forum. But you are rather new.

I should clarify Im not referencing this thread in particular. There are many many examples of very rude forms of judgment on this forum. But you are rather new.

I'll have you know that I am now a PM Super Alien. :)

But yes, I have not been here very long.  Nevertheless I can confidently surmise that people have been rude and judgmental on both sides of virtually every argument here.  Being judgmental is a human thing, not an orthodox Catholic thing.

That movie scarred me as a child more than any gay pride parade ever could.

They had a horse drown in the Swamp of Sadness. It got sad and it sank until it drowned. Are you freaking kidding me??? This movie is for children?????

Other great semi-creepy movies from the same genre and period:

The_Dark_Crystal_Film_Poster.jpg

Labyrinth-Movie-Poster.jpeg

Dude, if anyone feels so strongly about this, then dont freaking sell cakes. In fact, stay home under a rock so that you will never have to deal with people who are doing evil evil sin things.

Where there's a demand, the market will fill it (see CatholicsAreKewl's example at the top of that page).  There's plenty of gay-friendly bakers and florists out there who will fill the demand.  If a a devout Christian baker wants to only sell to wholesome events, and not "gay weddings," strip club parties, or Nazi rallies, why have the state punish her?  If that's bad business, then it's her problem.  If the business fails it fails; if it succeeds, it succeeds.

Why must we have omnipresent, omnipotent busybody government telling everyone exactly how to run their own business?

Government can't even manage its own affairs.

It is very doubtful that a baker would be forced against his will to serve a strip club. It is also very doubtful that a baker would then be forced to take sensitivity training for refusing to serve a strip club.

Given the way our society's going, nothing would shock me.

Why must we have omnipresent, omnipotent busybody government telling everyone exactly how to run their own business?

Government can't even manage its own affairs.

Why ?

Because the government thinks us mere peasants are not capable of managing ourselves in the highly educated, sophisticated, upper class manner that they know is better for me , you an everyone who is underneath them. And more over you should be reported to thought police for even questioning such things about our beloved government.

We are only allowed to change things we don't like about our government when the media or someone in our government says it needs to be changed. An when it is our turn to make a change we have the option to vote between bad or worse.

Other great semi-creepy movies from the same genre and period:

The_Dark_Crystal_Film_Poster.jpg

Labyrinth-Movie-Poster.jpeg

I did love the Labyrinth, but must agree, that the Dark Crystal to this very day still creeps me out big time.

It is not simply a matter of the United Nations not having the authority to say what marriage is.  If they were to declare that marriage can be between members of the same sex, it would be similar to it declaring that pi = 5.  It is beyond reason to declare that reality is other than it is, not merely beyond their authority.

Pi is the circumference of a circle divided by the diameter of the circle.
This ratio doesn't change based on how big the circle is, what the circle is made of or what colour the circle is. It is a fundamental attribute of the concept of a circle being where every point is equal distance from a central point. So the value of pi is not debatable.

Secular marriage is the legal recognition of an agreement between two parties (possibly more) that those two share a privileged bond, whereby they bestow certain legal rights automatically without requirement for further legal documentation e.g. power of attorney regarding medical decisions, visitation rights in hospital/prison, ability to adopt children, etc.
The governing body get to decide the contraints regarding secular marriage, whether people are allowed to be related, of the same gender, of differing races, whether marriage can be between more than two parties.
It is also a government recognition of a family.

Pi is the circumference of a circle divided by the diameter of the circle.
This ratio doesn't change based on how big the circle is, what the circle is made of or what colour the circle is. It is a fundamental attribute of the concept of a circle being where every point is equal distance from a central point. So the value of pi is not debatable.

Secular marriage is the legal recognition of an agreement between two parties (possibly more) that those two share a privileged bond, whereby they bestow certain legal rights automatically without requirement for further legal documentation e.g. power of attorney regarding medical decisions, visitation rights in hospital/prison, ability to adopt children, etc.
The governing body get to decide the contraints regarding secular marriage, whether people are allowed to be related, of the same gender, of differing races, whether marriage can be between more than two parties.
It is also a government recognition of a family.

Natural marriage is a fundamental, cross-cultural relationship between men and women that can no more be defined by governments than pi can.  Marriage has taken different forms and been associated with different laws in various times and places, but it comes from our nature as human beings, just as pi comes from the nature of a circle.  The government can decide constraints on marriage but not its fundamental attributes.  

If marriage is so natural (which it really isnt since humans are one of the few species that choose a single mate) then I dont know why its so weird that homosexuals want marriage too. They crave that bond.

If marriage is so natural (which it really isnt since humans are one of the few species that choose a single mate) then I dont know why its so weird that homosexuals want marriage too. They crave that bond.

When we are speaking in the context of Natural Law, "natural" does not mean "a common occurrence in nature". It refers to the idea that all things have an inherent nature with which they must conform.  Homosexual relationships do not conform to the inherent nature of human sexuality.