An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

According to Catholic teaching Catholics must accept Catholic teaching.  But the people who reject Catholic teaching reject the teaching about accepting Catholic teaching.  Finding more evidence that Catholic teaching says that Catholics must accept Catholic teaching is not really going to do anything. (However, I may have invented a good tongue twister.  Try saying it three times fast.)

And it does not get me any closer to understanding why these people want to identify as Catholic.

As far as I can see the church still see's baptised Catholics as Catholic, even if they are excommunicated or apostate. They are Catholic, they don't become more or less Catholic. Last I checked the church doesn't tend to remove people from any sort of membership book. So it could be argued that the church is the one holding their identity, not the other way around. Which I think is right. Do all Catholics call themselves Catholic? Do all Catholics who attend a Catholic church mass call themselves Catholic? I know many who don't. I don't police their beliefs but it seems to me they take their beliefs and observances seriously. I see many of them at daily mass etc. Labels only go so far.

Edited by Benedictus

Where did I say anything about not questioning anything? I have questions about the faith all the time. The difference is, if I were to come across something I questioned and I didn't believe the Church's answer for it, I wouldn't go parading around as a faithful Catholic, because I wouldn't be. You can't be faithful to the Church if you think the Church is wrong on a doctrinal matter. The Church is built on infallibility. By claiming it's wrong on doctrine, you're claiming it's not infallible, and thus the entire foundation of the Church falls apart. When the foundation falls apart, the Church does. It's simple logic.

You're going to have a blast at seminary :smile4:

Hey, we're 28 pages in and here's an idea, if you want to call yourself Catholic then be Catholic!

I be Catholic!

Credo in Deum

Again thank you so much for being the authority of what I do and do not mean it clarifies my life so so much, and of course no one here is claiming to understand everything, you are so right my mistake I was just so overwhelmed with the abundance of cannon lawyers, and theological degrees of knowledge being flaunted on here as the full authority on being able to with certainty be able to confirm or deny who really is a catholic. I still think the Church needs to gather yall up and give ya some kind of badge for being able to so perfectly figure all of this out INCLUDING what I do or do not understand lol and am thinking or actually meaning !

man I am so so so greatful thank you soooooooooooooooooo much,

:bravo:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other [mod]Unfortunate Gentleman - BG [/mod] die for his.

George S.Patton

( aww I am special I found a quote so everyone knows I made an intellectual point look at me look at me) :rabbit:

good-job05.gif

[mod]Please accept this award edit and warning....

...you have truly earned it, SuperBlue Credo.  That "trophy" was over the line, even for Debate Table. - BG[/mod]

1269881537-clapping-gif.gif

Edited by BG45

Credo in Deum

BTW the award is retroactive for the 6th, to give you credit for your other fruitful posts this month. Keep up the good work.

Not The Philosopher

Well this has been a thread.

On the one hand, I like how the Church is desirable enough that someone like John Ryan really wants to remain a member in spite of violently disagreeing with her on some issues.

On the other hand, that is just not a good place to be in - both spiritually and intellectually - for reasons that others have already detailed here.

BTW the award is retroactive for the 6th, to give you credit for your other fruitful posts this month. Keep up the good work.

Aww shucks do you mean to tell me that is best you got, you don't have a theological quote that explains why you are always right ? I mean come on your holiness you can do better than that. You have been so eloquent thus far at flexing your knowledge and truly explaining why yourself an others are way better Catholics than us mere peons. :notworthy:

Remember to keep working hard on educating those you know are far less superior to your own holiness .  :flex2:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton "

:rabbit:  

:paco: 

Fidei Defensor

Matthew 7:1-5

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Stop judging, that you may not be judged.
For as you judge, so will you be judged,
and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’
while the wooden beam is in your eye?
You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”

Matthew 7:1-5

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Stop judging, that you may not be judged.
For as you judge, so will you be judged,
and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’
while the wooden beam is in your eye?
You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”

Get out of town someone actually figured it out. If I could give ya a billion props I would. But hey don't you dare tell the enlightend ones here this, they might have to turn around an investigate you and make sure your views  are acceptable.

but go easy on them, they are really just defending church teaching, they really are not judging anyone ,lol nooo not even remotely close.

Credo in Deum

Aww shucks do you mean to tell me that is best you got, you don't have a theological quote that explains why you are always right ? I mean come on your holiness you can do better than that. You have been so eloquent thus far at flexing your knowledge and truly explaining why yourself an others are way better Catholics than us mere peons. :notworthy:

Remember to keep working hard on educating those you know are far less superior to your own holiness . :flex2:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton "

:rabbit:

:paco:

No one here has said they are holier or less sinful than others. Know one here has claimed to know or understand every doctrine of the Catholic faith. No one here has claimed that another Catholic isn't Catholic -even though oddly enough I have been accused of being overly Catholic. Lastly, no one here has claimed to always be right. None of these things have taken place in this thread, so you either provide the proof that they have taken place or you apologize to everyone for the false accusations.

I'll be waiting for your proof.

I understand every tenet of the Catholic faith. I wrote a homework assignment on it. It got a gold star and a red one too.

Lilllabettt

specifically, koreans.

or is that a red sun.

no thats japan.

Edited by Lilllabettt