An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

fides' Jack

Most likely it is something that would not make it through the fiddler if spelled out.  However, it also stands for India Development Alternatives Foundation, so I think we should just go with that.

[mod]inconueniens lingua[/mod]

Thanks - I probably would have guessed if it wasn't missing a "g".

Please watch your language.

Fidei Defensor

Canon 750 Â§2. Each and every thing which is proposed definitively by the magisterium of the Church concerning the doctrine of faith and morals, that is, each and every thing which is required to safeguard reverently and to expound faithfully the same deposit of faith, is also to be firm-ly embraced and retained; therefore, one who rejects those propositions which are to be held definitively is opposed to the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Canon 750 Â§2. Each and every thing which is proposed definitively by the magisterium of the Church concerning the doctrine of faith and morals, that is, each and every thing which is required to safeguard reverently and to expound faithfully the same deposit of faith, is also to be firm-ly embraced and retained; therefore, one who rejects those propositions which are to be held definitively is opposed to the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Stop quoting Church teaching because it clearly shows that you think yourself less of a sinner than others! It's extremely insensitive, especially in Debate Table!

!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!

Credo in Deum

Stop quoting Church teaching because it clearly shows that you think yourself less of a sinner than others! It's extremely insensitive, especially in Debate Table!

!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one waiting for the "JK"?

Church document quotes often come across as trying to prove to people that they are not Catholic.  What I started the thread for was to help me to understand a way of thinking that is very foreign to me.  

When I started the thread I considered putting it somewhere other than Debate Table, but then I figured it would end up here anyhow so I might as well start it here.  But now I am wondering if I made a mistake.  Maybe I should have tried harder to make it be a thread about understanding people instead of a thread for proving people are wrong.

Fidei Defensor

Perhaps something everyone can agree on?  In honor of his feast day.

st+josemaria+may+you+seek+Christ.jpg

You win x 68275643642357

Fidei Defensor

!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!

HEraTIC EVIL APOstatE!  Let you be anathema!

Fidei Defensor

As I said before, it ultimately comes down to honesty.  But I believe even canon law is clear that one cannot both oppose Catholic belief and at the same time be Catholic. I'm not saying that to be insensitive, but simply as a statement gathered from reading the canon.

implicit, dude, implicit.

you-re-good-o.gif

Americans want their humour with a flashing neon sign next to it saying "THIS IS HUMOR"!

As I said before, it ultimately comes down to honesty.  But I believe even canon law is clear that one cannot both oppose Catholic belief and at the same time be Catholic. I'm not saying that to be insensitive, but simply as a statement gathered from reading the canon.

According to Catholic teaching Catholics must accept Catholic teaching.  But the people who reject Catholic teaching reject the teaching about accepting Catholic teaching.  Finding more evidence that Catholic teaching says that Catholics must accept Catholic teaching is not really going to do anything. (However, I may have invented a good tongue twister.  Try saying it three times fast.)

And it does not get me any closer to understanding why these people want to identify as Catholic.

Church document quotes often come across as trying to prove to people that they are not Catholic. What I started the thread for was to help me to understand a way of thinking that is very foreign to me.

When I started the thread I considered putting it somewhere other than Debate Table, but then I figured it would end up here anyhow so I might as well start it here. But now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Maybe I should have tried harder to make it be a thread about understanding people instead of a thread for proving people are wrong.

Unless you're omnipotent and omniscient, you can't control or know how people are going to react. There has always been a wide range of posters on PM. There is never a sustained mature discussion for very long. It always devolves. Either with sarcasm, ponies, cheese, or indignant Butthurt. That's a given. Some posters act their age of twelve, and the rest of us occasionally act twelve as well.

Occasionally being right is my super power that is always unappreciated.

Fidei Defensor

According to Catholic teaching Catholics must accept Catholic teaching.  But the people who reject Catholic teaching reject the teaching about accepting Catholic teaching.  Finding more evidence that Catholic teaching says that Catholics must accept Catholic teaching is not really going to do anything. (However, I may have invented a good tongue twister.  Try saying it three times fast.)

And it does not get me any closer to understanding why these people want to identify as Catholic.

True and understood.