An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

I am getting from that analogy that you think the procreative aspect of sex is as essential as hair is to the human body, i.e. not at all.  Did I miss anything?

Not at all. I was merely trying to develop a possible counter-analogy to the previous analogy about cutting off arms. My intent was to draw attention to the fact that there are compelling reasons not to exercise the procreative aspect of the sex act whilst retaining the unitive. 

I just wanted everyone to know that I am, in fact, a Catholic. 

You may all now proceed.

I just wanted everyone to know that I am, in fact, a Catholic. 

You may all now proceed.

What does Catholic mean to you?

What does Catholic mean to you?

I would be more apt to talk to you about these things if I didnt know how hard you were trying to convince me how non Catholic I am. I know where you stand and I have no interest in discussing my faith with you. 

I just wanted everyone to know so that you all could boil over with anger that I would ever consider myself a Catholic. Now you can all go run around to your besties and discuss how awful I am. :)

Nihil Obstat

I would be more apt to talk to you about these things if I didnt know how hard you were trying to convince me how non Catholic I am. I know where you stand and I have no interest in discussing my faith with you. 

I just wanted everyone to know so that you all could boil over with anger that I would ever consider myself a Catholic. Now you can all go run around to your besties and discuss how awful I am. :)

I thought we were not supposed to be judgmental and uncharitable. Or is only ok when you do it?

Because frankly I see no other reasonable way to read this post.

I thought we were not supposed to be judgmental and uncharitable. Or is only ok when you do it?

How am I being judgmental? I know where she stands; she has made it quite clear. 

And I agree, we should always be charitable but Im human and the progress of this thread has left me irritated so at this moment in time [mod]inconueniens lingua-BG[/mod].

I do not want to convince you that you are not a Catholic.  I am not angry with you.  I do not think that you are awful.  I am sorry that I have posted in a way that left you feeling that I see you like this.  Please forgive me.

Obviously, you have different assumptions from mine about what being Catholic means.  For me, an essential characteristic is accepting Church teaching.  I am trying to get my head around what it means for you. 

I see it as I have hurt her and she is upset with me.  I take responsibility.

We need a meme for an industrial sized container of Bert's Bees Butthurt Balm, blessed posthumously by JPII...

Credo in Deum

I think it's time we all take a break and punch dance!

http://youtu.be/xmB1E_k_L-w

Edited by Credo in Deum

fides' Jack

How am I being judgmental? I know where she stands; she has made it quite clear. 

And I agree, we should always be charitable but Im human and the progress of this thread has left me irritated so at this moment in time idaf.

Sorry, I'm not up to snuff on the texting lingo.  What is idaf?

Sorry, I'm not up to snuff on the texting lingo.  What is idaf?

Most likely it is something that would not make it through the fiddler if spelled out.  However, it also stands for India Development Alternatives Foundation, so I think we should just go with that.

Edited by Perigrina

fides' Jack

Personally, I find it very interesting how offensive it is to take the Catholic stand.  I missed about 10 pages here (over the last 24 hours... ), but from what I see those who don't agree see it as hypocritical and fake righteousness.  

I wonder why that is.  Maybe because everyone here is human?  Is it because we can't back up with our actions what we assent to with our minds?  Of course we can't.  To be Catholic is to insist on becoming perfect, because we know we can't get to heaven unless we do become perfect.

But we can recognize perfection in the faith of the Church.  And if it's perfect, why would we hesitant to proclaim as much?

Nobody here is proclaiming themselves any sort of authority.  Some have claimed the Church to be an authority.  Both Scripture and official Church documentation have been provided which explain that the Church does, in fact, have that authority (from the Church's perspective, of course).  

I don't understand why that offends people so much.