An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Transgender(ism ?) Homosexuality Not A Mental Disorder

superblue

I don't think homosexuality and so called Transgenderism are comparable. Homosexuality is not a mental delusion. Transgenderism is a mental disorder, and it is classic example of a delusion. A person who suffers from it believes contrary to reality that they are someone that they in fact are not. Believing oneself to be male when one is female, or believing oneself to be female when one is actually male is really no different than people who think they are some famous person from history. If I believed I was Gen. George S. Patton when I am really <insert real name here> I would be suffering a delusion. It would not be bigotry for others to point out that I am not Gen. George S. Patton, and it would be better for my mental health if others would not enable and go along with my delusion. 

You need to read the DSM5 and scientific peer reviewed literature on the subject before you spout nonsense. 

You need to read the DSM5 and scientific peer reviewed literature on the subject before you spout nonsense. 

I'm an advocate for the mentally ill. Quite familiar with the DSMV and all its predecessors. The problem with peer reviewed literature is that it is a closed society walking a party line. It's the reason silly things like Piltdown Man go on for 40+ years or researchers stop digging in North America at the 13,000 year level because the party line on Clovis means they would ruin their careers if they found something deeper and it would never be allowed to be published. 

K of C and I have had many heated exchanges over the years, but his description of the issue is spot on. I worked with several transgendered clients. Only one led a truly happy life post op. The rest reminded me of dealing with family members of murder victims. They all thought they'd have some kind of magically closure once the murderer was executed. Didn't happen. My clients had put off living their lives until surgery and assumed it would magically make them happy and solve all their problems. It didn't because their plumbing wasn't their underlying problem. 

I worked with several transgender clients. Only one led a truly happy life post op. The rest reminded me of dealing with family members of murder victims. They all thought they'd have some kind of magically closure once the murderer was executed. Didn't happen. My clients had put off living their lives until surgery and assumed it would magically make them happy and solve all their problems. It didn't because their plumbing wasn't their underlying problem. 

This was my experience, having actually faced down the questions and challenge that come with this particular issue myself.  For some time, I was very, deeply unhappy with where I was in my life, and eventually a whole bunch of different things and people somehow wound up leading to me getting the brilliant idea "maybe you'd be happier female.".  Spoiier: Nearly tore my family apart, and wound up less happy than when I was when I started.  And that was only with the initial couple of months of hormone therapy.  Thank God I didn't do anything truly irreversible. I do think there are some people for whom a gender transition is a very, very legitimate course of medical and therapeutic treatment - but I'd wager highly that the condition is becoming wildly overdiagnosed, and it definitely, DEFINITELY was not for me. 

I would strongly suggest though that those opposed to any sort of gender identity disorder diagnosis be very, very mindful of the difference between concern vs. disapproval vs. bullying vs. antagonism.  Uncharitable people cross the line into maliciousness far, far too easily - and the end result of hostility usually just results in legitimate concerns getting voiced down even more due to the signal to noise ratio. 

Nihil Obstat

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think Gender Identity Disorder is still listed in the DSM.

PhuturePriest

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think Gender Identity Disorder is still listed in the DSM.

​This is my understanding as well, though as one nice secularist threw back at me: "These are the same people who listed being gay as a psychological disorder, so I don't believe anything they say."

Seriously. Kicking homosexuality out of DSM had nothing to do with science, everything with politics. 

Psychiatry is basically a blend of good ol' absolute trust in science's ability to know and master everything, and German philosophical babble.

You need to read the DSM5  Torah/Bible/Catechism/Koran/Principia Discordia and scientific peer reviewed literature on the subject before you spout nonsense. 

​Exchanging one magestereum for another isn't skepticism.

If you are a woman who feels like a man, a man who feels like Napoleon Bonaparte, or any other demonstrably false delusions, you have a mental disorder. There are obviously physical causes, seeing as we are meatbags.

I think its funny when people look to religious institutions to fill their notebooks on scientific understanding. 

I mean I agree that religious institutions can reach a similar conclusion on their own (rarely are they actually correct), but I wouldn't disregard the pool of scientific knowledge because youre butt hurt that it would suggest something contrary to your personal belief system. Typically religious institutions look to science to inform them of the physical world, then they can decide if they find it moral or immoral. They cant however decide for themselves what is and isnt science; its not their realm. They dont have labs in the vatican or a periodical in which they publish their research on transgender rats.

Also, the scientific body is not like some other substituted magesterium. Science is completely different in one aspect, that they change based on nwe information. They research, they observe, and they grow. If something NEW pops up, we go EUREKA! How does this change what we thought before? Vs a church full of old white dudes who insist that sticking with the same old same old is their way of being special. 

There's no new information that shows the perception of your body changes the actual makeup of your body. I don't become Han Solo when I put on my Han Solo outfit. My house doesn't become the Millenium Falcon, and my dog doesn't become Chewbacca.

It doesn't happen.

That isn't a religious statement.

Nihil Obstat

There's no new information that shows the perception of your body changes the actual makeup of your body. I don't become Han Solo when I put on my Han Solo outfit. My house doesn't become the Millenium Falcon, and my dog doesn't become Chewbacca.

It doesn't happen.

​Yeah, Han Solo. Right.

It doesn't happen.

​If someone found information that was credible that someone DID turn into Han Solo after putting on their Hal solo outfit then science would test it to see if it was true. If it was true, science would change and adopt it. 

Thats what I am saying. Science is meant to be scrutinized. If you dont agree with something science says, then test it! Prove it wrong! Find something new and science changes.

Religion does not. Religion will likely ALWAYS think that transgenderism is a mental illness even if science found out otherwise. So it really doesnt matter what anyone says, if a pool of thought is impermeable to new information, they suffocate at their own hand.