An Old School Catholic Message Board

Internet Emotions

dUSt

Nihil Obstat

So... just wondering I guess. At what point did Moosey become a real person as opposed to pixels on a screen? At what point did she begin to exist in real life?

happy-twins.gif

Dont post cute stuff while Im on a mission. Ill be derailed!

cute babies! :love:

Catherine Therese

I kinda think you're all a little bit right. 

I don't think charity stops at the "Enter" key, and I think each of us has a responsibility, even when we're playing around or joking, to have a TINY bit of a prudence philter goin on. We're still ultimately morally culpable for what we say on the internet too, regardless of how another person receives it (badly or well). 

Having said that, if you are a READER, and you read something that ophends you, then totes read dUSt's post above, and remember that, not only is everything pixelated, but a lot gets lost in translation (and bandwidth) across cultures and networks. You're probably misunderstanding the poster who's ophended you as much as they misunderstood you to post what you phound ophensive. 

maximillion

Aye, an' as they say in Yorkshire, there's nowt as strange as pholks.................(and we are all sinners, or rather, human.) 'Nuff said.

The last time I went to Confession, I confessed a sin that I had committed on the Internet.  I was guilty of writing bad things about people behind their backs (don't worry, nobody here) and that is sin.  I could not excuse myself by saying that they were not real people.  They are.  I have had to confess Internet-based sins before and I am afraid that I may again.  But I am not going to deny my guilt. 

Posts on the Internet (with a few exceptions) are not written by artificial intelligence programs.  They are written and read by people.  I am just as morally responsible for my behaviour on the Internet as I am for what I write with a pen or what I say with my mouth.  Pixels on a screen, ink on a paper, vibrations in the air - they are products of my moral agency.  

Our duty as Catholics living in the age of the Internet is to resist the temptation to dehumanize people through technology.

I know Im in the minority here, but I do think people on the internet are real and I dont believe charity should stop as soon as we sit our fat asses down and log on.

Just my thoughts. Burn me at the stake if you feel it will appease your sensibilities.

You are one if the least charitable, offensive, grating, confrontational, annoying, hypocritical, and immature posters on phatmass and I'm pretty sure you are aware of that. However, stating the obvious is one if my traits that tempers my overall near superhero persons on the web. Nothing personal, it's just pixels.

Clare Brigid

I think we could use a little irenicism just about now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDbPF07akE

Edited by Clare Brigid

Basilisa Marie

Eh, I think teh internets is serious business, but its no one's fault but your own if you let it ruin your day. It's much easier to walk away from a computer than a person. 

Ash Wednesday

I'm not saying I don't make mistakes myself, because I know I do...

I know Im in the minority here, but I do think people on the internet are real and I dont believe charity should stop as soon as we sit our fat asses down and log on. 

...but you need to practice more of what you love to preach to others so much.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

I kinda think you're all a little bit right. 

I don't think charity stops at the "Enter" key, and I think each of us has a responsibility, even when we're playing around or joking, to have a TINY bit of a prudence philter goin on. We're still ultimately morally culpable for what we say on the internet too, regardless of how another person receives it (badly or well). 

Having said that, if you are a READER, and you read something that ophends you, then totes read dUSt's post above, and remember that, not only is everything pixelated, but a lot gets lost in translation (and bandwidth) across cultures and networks. You're probably misunderstanding the poster who's ophended you as much as they misunderstood you to post what you phound ophensive. 

Excellent post.

This is why I often say "relax, it's just the internet." 

We can't control what other people post. But I've seen way too many people completely fly off the handle in disagreement and confrontation and make things way worse than they really need to be. If someone posts something and you don't agree with it, maybe step back and take a deep breath and think before you post instead of setting your keyboard on fire. Have a reasoned response about it. Walk away if you can't get a grip. Ask yourself if you're taking something a little too seriously, a little too personally, or possibly misunderstanding something -- and to what extent a confrontation is worth taking the time and energy out of your day, particularly when you have your regular daily life and duties to fulfil.

Correct someone if you feel they're in the wrong, but don't do it in a way that's equivalent to pouring gasoline on a match to put it out.

The internet is a useful but limited means of communication and while it's a great place to make friends, there is also a time when you need to be arm's length about it because it has its limitations and will never take the place of face to face interaction. The odd thing is, I may end up getting in a stupid argument with someone online and yet in a different scenario I could have met them by chance offline and we could get along great. 

I have had my days where I'm in a mood and my fuse is short, or I want to take something out on another person, so it's not like I've never tripped and fallen into the drama hole before, and I'm probably not being honest if I said it will never happen again as much as I know avoiding it is the right thing to do. 

But when it comes to the internet, sometimes you really have to be arm's length about it and remember that while you can't control others, you can control yourself. Seriously consider to what extent you're going to let it have an affect on your actual physical life and entire day.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Let me give a recent personal example where I was the one on the receiving end of hurtful words.  A former friend revealed something that I had written privately in PM that destroyed my reputation on the forum where he posted it.  I felt hurt and betrayed.  I did not deny my feelings by telling myself "it's just the Internet".  I acknowledged my feelings and faced my responsibility to forgive him.  I have that responsibility because every day I pray "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."  It has nothing to do with the Internet.  Integrity means being the same person wherever you are.