An Old School Catholic Message Board

Internet Emotions

dUSt

Ash Wednesday

Yeah with that expression "fat ass" I'm surprised nobody's come in here with pitchforks and torches about body shaming.

My butt isn't fat, either, but every butt is beautiful. 

Catherine Therese

I can't do sit-ups on hard surfaces because my coccyx makes it hurt too much.

Even those of us with extra padding are plagued by that phenomenon.

Credo in Deum

"But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment." --Matthew 12:36

I think if we, myself most of all, remember the above verse and apply it to our time her on Phatmass, nothing but good things will follow. 

Do I believe people on the internet are not real people?  No.  Of course they are real people, even if their personas are not an accurate representation of who they are while off the internet.  In any case we have a real obligation to be charitable and to try and look for the best in people rather than the worst.  I've done tech support jobs over the phone and I can tell you everyone is a tough guy over the phone, even the 90 year old lady screaming in your ear.  Do I take her remarks to heart?  No.  The phone has provided her with an outlet to unleash her frustration without fear of physical or verbal attack, since I would have been fired, had I treated her uncharitably.  Yet because I knew she wouldn't be like this face to face, I let her have her moment without getting butthurt about it.   I would stay quiet and let her vent until she was done and then I would help her out.   The internet is the same way.  It gives us an outlet to say things we normally wouldn't say to someone face to face.  When confronted with someone like that, just be patient and charitably continue forward once they're done ranting.  Or, report them and ignore them.  It is an option you have on your profiles. 

I agree, but I also feel that there is some misinterpretation of what I intended to just be a wry off the cuff remark no different than Ancilla Domini's dog.

I really should have just posted a picture of a dog.

I am sorry.  I had been planning to make that point even before I saw your post, so it was not really about what you said.  I tend to be too intense and it is hard on people.  I am like a dog with a bone when I have an idea.  So post a picture of a dog with a bone. :)

Ancilla Domini

"But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment." --Matthew 12:36 

me+too+instant+regret+_16b2100c9c993d19f

We are so sunk...

Ash Wednesday

I am sorry.  I had been planning to make that point even before I saw your post, so it was not really about what you said.  I tend to be too intense and it is hard on people.  I am like a dog with a bone when I have an idea.  So post a picture of a dog with a bone. :)

Don't worry, no hard feelings. This thread in itself is actually a pretty accurate demonstration of how people are probably more on the same page about these things than it seems, but it can be a bit of a minefield of limitations when trying to discuss it online as opposed to face to face. Woof.

Dog-and-Bone.jpg?416aa3

You really need to post more often.

Alas, as with most superheroes, I have to balance quality with quantity. Others need me as well, grasshopper. I flit, I fly...

HisChildForever

It's nice that Phatmass is a smaller community though because you're more likely to get to "know" everyone...so it should be a little easier to recognize posters as people. I'm Facebook friends with a few people from the forum which is nice because you do connect the poster with the person. If I haven't added you yet PM me! I like expanding my Catholic circle. :)

I am a pretty bony person in general. I can't do sit-ups on hard surfaces because my coccyx makes it hurt too much.

ah - maybe less sit ups and instead lift more weights. You'll be superman in no time ;)

My comments were meant for the people who are affected by the internet jerks, and in no way was meant to encourage internet jerks. On the contrary, it was meant as a condemnation for people who feel like they can be jerks on the internet because it's only the internet. I wish everyone would act their human selves on the internet--and not brave characters of who they wish they were--even though that would be way less exciting.

My comments were meant for the people who are affected by the internet jerks, and in no way was meant to encourage internet jerks. On the contrary, it was meant as a condemnation for people who feel like they can be jerks on the internet because it's only the internet. I wish everyone would act their human selves on the internet--and not brave characters of who they wish they were--even though that would be way less exciting.

That goes without saying.  But I'm glad you said it anyhow.  :)

Credo in Deum

On the internet I'm all like...

tumblr_miycphbQb21rk2y0po12_r1_500.gif

In real life I'm like...

nervous-sheldon.gif

That's right.  I huff paint!  

picgifs-deal-with-it-285931.gif