An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Sorry, Robin Williams, Suicide Is Selfish

blazeingstar

blazeingstar

Your "selfishness" keeping them alive sounds a heck of a lot like "my love can fix you, even if it's just temporary."   It also sounds a whole lot like, "I'll sacrifice my virtue by engaging in the vice of selfishness in order to save you." 

Nope, didn't say my love can fix anyway.  I'm saying that I don't care if my selfishness is going to cause them pain, so long as it keeps them alive.

Stop treating my opinions as if they are lesser than yours, they aren't.

Yes they are.  Sorry.  

blazeingstar

Yes they are.  Sorry.  

Wow are you going to get into a cat fight about me having an opinion?  Thats just silly.

Basilisa Marie

Nope, didn't say my love can fix anyway.  I'm saying that I don't care if my selfishness is going to cause them pain, so long as it keeps them alive.

Keeping them alive is the "fix" for the problem of them considering suicide.  You are "fixing" their problem with your "love," even if it causes them pain and even if it causes you harm by being a vice. Ergo you are trying to fix someone with your love, even if it harms you. 

That's not healthy. 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

KnightofChrist

I can see and understand how a person could in anger, shock, or sorrow could feel suicide is a selfish act. But I do not believe that to be true. 

blazeingstar

Keeping them alive is the "fix" for the problem of them considering suicide.  You are "fixing" their problem with your "love," even if it causes them pain and even if it causes you harm by being a vice. Ergo you are trying to fix someone with your love, even if it harms you. 

That's not healthy. 

I don't care.  I was in the situation, said what I did, and won't ever regret it.  That person is alive.

I don't think its a "fix" for anything.  I do think that it is my solution.  If I was asked that question/had that statement made to me again, I'd do the exact same thing.

As far as my friend who did take her own life, I do think it was a chain reaction and giving in to the long line of actions that were shown to her by her father and godfather, (whom couldn't even remember meeting)  It was certinally a big contribution in the death of her friends.

Wow are you going to get into a cat fight about me having an opinion?  Thats just silly.

No.  You're welcome to have an opinion.  And when you try to push that bad opinion in the debate table I'm going to point out why and that it is a bad opinion.  

Have a great day!

blazeingstar

CCC: Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

--------------------------------------------------------

While some suicides are performed with selfish motives we cannot say all of them are performed for this reason.  We also cannot say that a person who commits suicide is "brave" or is a person who "made the right decision".    In the end no one here knows the motives for Robin Williams suicide except God and Robin Williams.   What we do know is that God is Just and Merciful and that He understood Robins brokenness and pain better than anyone here.   With that said we should pray for his soul and for the safety and protection of everyone else who is at risk of suicide. 

I didn't say anything about Robin William's soul.  I did say that I do hate the articles addressing his action and saying that it is not selfish and moreover that it is brave, or even "right" for him.  It is not any of that for anybody.

I find that his sucide is being glorified in a way in which I cannot remember anyone's ever.  I do feel like by applying all those things to it, there will be huge spikes in the numbers in the days and weeks to come.

Except those people won't be well know. 

All right. You know what? I wasn't going to post anything, other than the one thing I did, mostly because I am triggering all over the beaver dam place right now, and I pray to God my father doesn't stumble onto Phatmass to find I posted, because he's still concerned for my well being, which , no poo, he should be.

Blazingstar. I am going to let you, and everyone on this forum in on a little secret.

I tried to kill myself last month.

I drove to the bridge and started to climb it Eventually police were called and I was taken to the hospital and evaluated. This all came after a series of things, one after another, piling up on top of me. Let me tell you about that morning. How do you think it went? Did I wake up one morning and say to myself, "golly gee, a swim in the river sounds amesome right about now"? Did I do what I did because I wanted to spite people?

No. To both. I wasn't thinking. Like, at all. My mind was a fog. I couldn't even hear myself think. I collapsed on the floor, crying hysterically, and called the suicide hotline. Nothing they said even made sense to me. Why? Because, my brain had shut off. Everything, including pain and warning sensors, shut off. 

I threw my phone at the wall, got in my car, parked in a drugstore parking lot, and just walked to the bridge. Everything was a fog. I wanted the pain to stop. I didn't even want to die. I just. wanted. it. to. stop. No logic could pierce through me. No rational ideas could get to me. Not even my own family could get through to me. 

In a way...I was already dead.

Then I was taken away to the hospital and sat in a room for hours on end. It wasn't until later in the day that my brain "woke up" and realized, oh croutons, I tried to kill myself. Up until that point, I probably would have tried it again. 

My point is...you cannot always bring logic into this. It's easy to call it selfish; but honestly, how can it be a selfish choice when we are incapable of even making simple decisions such as getting up in the morning? It's a choice in the same light as an allergic reaction is a choice. It's the result of a disease. No, no, don't hear me wrong; in no way am I glamorizing suicide. It's tragic, and I am saddened by this recent news of Robin Williams passing. Quite frankly, though, by the time he got to the point of hanging himself, he probably couldn't hear himself think. He lost his fight with this sickness. That calls for compassion. Those of us with depression and bipolar disorder are haunted; memories of things that happened three years ago will come back to us. You can say "it's distorted" until you are blue in the face, but again; depression isn't logical. It's just not. 

So I am going to share with you all something that Nash, a DJ on Radio Dead Air (look it up) said. This is what someone with depression needs to hear.

It's not your fault. 

It's not. This isn't you.

You aren't your illness.

You are a good, special, loving, kind, intelligent person.

And yes, get them help. It's gonna smell of elderberries, because the battle to getting better smells of elderberries. But at the end of the day...this sickness I have, you have...

It's no more your fault than having cancer is a cancer patient's fault.

Depression is not your fault. Bipolar disorder is not your fault.

blazeingstar

All right. You know what? I wasn't going to post anything, other than the one thing I did, mostly because I am triggering all over the beaver dam place right now, and I pray to God my father doesn't stumble onto Phatmass to find I posted, because he's still concerned for my well being, which , no poo, he should be.

Blazingstar. I am going to let you, and everyone on this forum in on a little secret.

I tried to kill myself last month.

I drove to the bridge and started to climb it Eventually police were called and I was taken to the hospital and evaluated. This all came after a series of things, one after another, piling up on top of me. Let me tell you about that morning. How do you think it went? Did I wake up one morning and say to myself, "golly gee, a swim in the river sounds amesome right about now"? Did I do what I did because I wanted to spite people?

No. To both. I wasn't thinking. Like, at all. My mind was a fog. I couldn't even hear myself think. I collapsed on the floor, crying hysterically, and called the suicide hotline. Nothing they said even made sense to me. Why? Because, my brain had shut off. Everything, including pain and warning sensors, shut off. 

I threw my phone at the wall, got in my car, parked in a drugstore parking lot, and just walked to the bridge. Everything was a fog. I wanted the pain to stop. I didn't even want to die. I just. wanted. it. to. stop. No logic could pierce through me. No rational ideas could get to me. Not even my own family could get through to me. 

In a way...I was already dead.

Then I was taken away to the hospital and sat in a room for hours on end. It wasn't until later in the day that my brain "woke up" and realized, oh croutons, I tried to kill myself. Up until that point, I probably would have tried it again. 

My point is...you cannot always bring logic into this. It's easy to call it selfish; but honestly, how can it be a selfish choice when we are incapable of even making simple decisions such as getting up in the morning? It's a choice in the same light as an allergic reaction is a choice. It's the result of a disease. No, no, don't hear me wrong; in no way am I glamorizing suicide. It's tragic, and I am saddened by this recent news of Robin Williams passing. Quite frankly, though, by the time he got to the point of hanging himself, he probably couldn't hear himself think. He lost his fight with this sickness. That calls for compassion. Those of us with depression and bipolar disorder are haunted; memories of things that happened three years ago will come back to us. You can say "it's distorted" until you are blue in the face, but again; depression isn't logical. It's just not. 

So I am going to share with you all something that Nash, a DJ on Radio Dead Air (look it up) said. This is what someone with depression needs to hear.

It's not your fault. 

It's not. This isn't you.

You aren't your illness.

You are a good, special, loving, kind, intelligent person.

And yes, get them help. It's gonna smell of elderberries, because the battle to getting better smells of elderberries. But at the end of the day...this sickness I have, you have...

It's no more your fault than having cancer is a cancer patient's fault.

Depression is not your fault. Bipolar disorder is not your fault.

I'm sorry for your pain.,

It does not change anything for me.

Nothing.

It was what it was.  All actions have consequences.

Edited by blazeingstar

Nothing.

I didn't expect it to really change anything for you, but nevertheless...the "choice" of self harm and suicide, is never a rational one. 

Nothing.

Maybe now is when you should just stop.