Lilllabettt Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 So you'd argue the idea of once heterosexual always heterosexual is closed minded nonsense. Yes. It is closed minded nonsense. The idea of indelibly fixed sexuality is an invention of homophobia.
Benedictus Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Seriously...? Did you really just trumpet the old cannard that those that vocally call a spade a spade are just repressed homosexuals? Come on, man. I didn't say all, come on. I know other people say the same things, but then, they tend to say the same things on equal measure to all things. That's a different potato. I said there was a cohort who match that bill and fit this specific pattern. It is clear to see they have fixations, stuggle and then over compensate. I'm surprised you've never seen it, but whatever. Incidentally, the sins of Cardinal O'Brien were committed decades before he was elevated to the Cardinalate. There was never any evidence that he committed any act of sex with another male, not even by his accusers. OK - Some people would like to keep the 'it was years ago' myth going. I thought the time for downplaying the sexual woes of clergy was over, but obviously not. I'm not interested in certain 'managed' stories that play damage limitation. There were reasons, and pressing ones, why the information come out when it did. Many of the clergy, and others, knew about this for years. He moved many who opposed him or spoke up. It has trickled out beyond that diocese now to people 'in the know'. It's been ignored by others who'd rather not know. Let me know when the Vatican decides if he can keep his titles, voting rights and or whether he can remain in Scotland. Clergy have said openly he is manipulative and a liar. It's like the relationship Bishop Conry was having with his 'female friend' for all those years. It was going on for years and people reported it again and again. It was ignored. Everyone knew. He finally resigned, making it look like it weighed heavily upon him. But who made him go? It wasn't the Bishops, it was the woman who changed gear! When the notice was read out most people said 'no surprises there then'. And everything he said on the issue of homosexuality was entirely orthodox and sound Catholic doctrine. You don't have to live up to the truth to preach it. Struggling to follow what he thought was right, being celibate (he was a priest afterall) is one thing. Being a repulsive liar and hypocrite is another.
Benedictus Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Yes. It is closed minded nonsense. The idea of indelibly fixed sexuality is an invention of homophobia. There's a spectrum where people find themselves. But people don't really bounce all over the place from where they are. There's no support for that. It isn't that fluid. But maybe you, KnightofChrist and Socrates need to meet for a coffee. You seem to disagree
Norseman82 Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Which is not a super charitable thing for me to say, I know, but I'm tired of all of the inflammatory language. I will repost what I posted in another thread an excerpt of an interview Cardinal George gave to the Chicago Tribune: "'I regret if I've spoken in a way that people weren't able to hear,' he said. 'If I'm to be silenced for fear of hurting someone now, what happens to the conversation?' he added. 'I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt anybody. But if you say, 'Unless you agree with me I'll be hurt', well, that's not a just demand. I'm hurt by that'". http://www.chicagotr...1020-story.html http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/135997-heres-a-bomb/page-4 But this guy's throwing a public tantrum. At least when Burke spoke, most of the time he was extremely measured and reasonable, especially regarding the synod. I recall an episode where Christ turned over tables in the Temple that would make this "tantrum" look like a baby burping.
Slappo Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) So you'd argue the idea of once heterosexual always heterosexual is closed minded nonsense. I would. My mother, married to my father for ~20 years left him for a woman. She went to a touchy feeling super high emotion retreat and left the retreat cheating on him. Edited November 6, 2014 by Slappo
Nihil Obstat Posted November 6, 2014 Author Posted November 6, 2014 It is a sad day when a faithful bishop gets reamed simply for teaching as the Church has always taught.
Credo in Deum Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 I would. My mother, married to my father for ~20 years left him for a woman. She went to a touchy feeling super high emotion retreat and left the retreat cheating on him. I agree. All of us are fallen human beings capable of all sorts of attractions.
KnightofChrist Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) But maybe you, KnightofChrist and Socrates need to meet for a coffee.Coffee would be great, or better yet having a modest amount of the finest Jack Daniel's whiskey and smoking cigars while riding horseback on clydesdales into the sunset as Nihil (you forgot him) fly's in on a giant eagle. We are after all totally bad assets of Phatmass. Allons-y! You seem to disagreePerhaps, perhaps not. Edited November 6, 2014 by KnightofChrist
Nihil Obstat Posted November 6, 2014 Author Posted November 6, 2014 Coffee would be great, or better yet having a modest amount of the finest Jack Daniel's whiskey and smoking cigars while riding horseback on clydesdales into the sunset as Nihil (you forgot him) fly's in on a giant eagle. We are after all totally bad assets of Phatmass. Allons-y! Perhaps, perhaps not. Proposed amendment: scotch and pipe tobacco as opposed to Jack Daniel's and cigars.
Guest Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) I agree. All of us are fallen human beings capable of all sorts of attractions. Only attraction I'm capable of is hot women. Edited November 6, 2014 by Guest
KnightofChrist Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) No I would not. It is possible for any man to do good or to do evil. God did not create us to be good or evil in the way the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Man is not an collective of automatons. I don't think Lilllabettt, Socrates and I disagree. I think I failed at sarcasm in my first sentence. Edited November 6, 2014 by KnightofChrist
Lilllabettt Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Proposed amendment: scotch and pipe tobacco as opposed to Jack Daniel's and cigars. i dont smoke or drink but I play cards.
Credo in Deum Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Proposed amendment: scotch and pipe tobacco as opposed to Jack Daniel's and cigars. Camel wides and some Mad Dog 20/20.
KnightofChrist Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Camel wides and some Mad Dog 20/20. You're invited, as always.
KnightofChrist Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 i dont smoke or drink but I play cards. I forgot to add playing cards too. Thanks
Nihil Obstat Posted November 6, 2014 Author Posted November 6, 2014 Always up for some Texas Hold 'Em.
Benedictus Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 I would. My mother, married to my father for ~20 years left him for a woman. She went to a touchy feeling super high emotion retreat and left the retreat cheating on him. Maybe she was bisexual, or a lesbian the whole time! The same process happens with people in therapy too sometimes. It doesn't mean her sexuality changed (what people say and how they try to live, or conform, is a bit more complicated. Psychosocial expectations play a part). Bishop Gene Robinson would be a famous example of the point. He acted at trying to be an outward heterosexual for many years, and did fairly well on a surface level (wife and children etc) until it all fell apart.
Benedictus Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Only attraction I'm capable of is hot women. I'll drink to that :cheers: . Some people seem to think they'll go to bed heterosexual and wake up homosexual one day. The world will turn glitter in an instant. So, yeah, whatever that means :sailing:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now