An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop Schneider: "obvious Manipulation" At Synod

Nihil Obstat

Not The Philosopher

Someday we will have a serious thread on Phatmass that doesn't get immediately derailed the moment homosexuality is mentioned. Someday...

(*NTP gazes wistfully at the sunset as the camera fades*)

What's funny about this is if someone identified as a heterosexual but then identified themselves as a homosexual you say "they must have always been gay" and if someone who used to identify as homosexual but then later on identifys themselves as a heterosexual then that person is accused of "never being gay." The best part in all of this is the only people taken seriously are the ones that advocate "I was born this way and can never change", while the ones that have changed and who claim that it is possible to change are automatically dissmissed by society and told they do not know what they're talking about and that they must be confused and that they were either once gay always gay or never gay at all.

Well, maybe it is funny to you. Should I be shocked, probably not. :doh: But I doubt it's funny to those concerned. People are born into a world where it's assumed they are heterosexual. That, and many other reasons, has an impact on how people identify and label themselves. Labels and identity will be messy for some as people are working themselves out. Maybe when the world isn't interested in what sexual orientation someone has then it won't be so difficult. People won't be ignorant, reject, attack, discriminate, kill.

With all that background noise you're asking, well mocking really, as to why labels and identity are so difficult for some people to express? Maybe because they are rejected, called a liar, or a sinner -  they get heaps of pressure. I've always found it interesting how people become a psychologist and doctor overnight to homosexual people, be it on forums or not.  Some even tell others there's 'evidently' cures, change, prayer, quacks. These people sometimes even gain extra powers with their insight - they grow a few feet taller and know what God thinks at that precise moment. Apparently they read about it in a book, just not a scientific or academic one. :notworthy:

People should be given more understanding, acceptance and freedom. That would then solve the problem you've highlighted. That recognition isn't a world you seem to desire though. The truth people tell, and the change people are now seeing in attitudes, isn't going to go away. People might as well start thinking of constructive ways to move forward on the issues. The things that held people, who knew no better, aren't sticking anymore. It's like refusing to see the good in using electricity. Feel free to keep advocating everyone use candles!

Credo in Deum

Well, maybe it is funny to you. Should I be shocked, probably not. :doh: But I doubt it's funny to those concerned. People are born into a world where it's assumed they are heterosexual. That, and many other reasons, has an impact on how people identify and label themselves. Labels and identity will be messy for some as people are working themselves out. Maybe when the world isn't interested in what sexual orientation someone has then it won't be so difficult. People won't be ignorant, reject, attack, discriminate, kill.

With all that background noise you're asking, well mocking really, as to why labels and identity are so difficult for some people to express? Maybe because they are rejected, called a liar, or a sinner - they get heaps of pressure. I've always found it interesting how people become a psychologist and doctor overnight to homosexual people, be it on forums or not. Some even tell others there's 'evidently' cures, change, prayer, quacks. These people sometimes even gain extra powers with their insight - they grow a few feet taller and know what God thinks at that precise moment. Apparently they read about it in a book, just not a scientific or academic one. :notworthy:

People should be given more understanding, acceptance and freedom. That would then solve the problem you've highlighted. That recognition isn't a world you seem to desire though. The truth people tell, and the change people are now seeing in attitudes, isn't going to go away. People might as well start thinking of constructive ways to move forward on the issues. The things that held people, who knew no better, aren't sticking anymore. It's like refusing to see the good in using electricity. Feel free to keep advocating everyone use candles!

For someone who writes a lot you sure don't say much. In short we should accept what the majority of society believes or wants us to believe regarding human sexuality, and to not bother fighting against it. Only when we swallow the croutons fed to us about the immutability of ones sexuality will we be able to progress onward and one day live as peaceful and enlightened people such as yourself.

Don't worry I will be here with my trusty candles when your power goes out.

For someone who writes a lot you sure don't say much. In short we should accept what the majority of society believes or wants us to believe regarding human sexuality, and to not bother fighting against it. Only when we swallow the croutons fed to us about the immutability of ones sexuality will we be able to progress onward and one day live as peaceful and enlightened people such as yourself.

Don't worry I will be here with my trusty candles when your power goes out.

Thanks -  your grace and charity oozes from you, as usual. :flex2: I'll say a rosary for you.

Edited by Benedictus

veritasluxmea

Thanks -  your grace and charity oozes from you, as usual. :flex2: I'll say a rosary for you.

Oh, the irony! 

Credo in Deum

Thanks - your grace and charity oozes from you, as usual. :flex2: I'll say a rosary for you.

Given your condescending attitude towards me and a lot of members on this site, you're welcome. Also thanks for the rosary. I need all of the prayers I can get. I'll say one by candle light for you as well.

Given your condescending attitude towards me and a lot of members on this site, you're welcome. Also thanks for the rosary. I need all of the prayers I can get. I'll say one by candle light for you as well.

Well you have a tag team, so I wouldn't feel too hurt about it. From my perspective the attitudes and views often expressed here are far worse, but obviously nobody points it out because they probably agree with the undercurrent (or can't be bothered to argue). I try to be as restrained as I can, considering I disagree strongly with the sentiments and comments made about the issues (and about me for saying otherwise at times). But I could be better, and I know it. Prayers for you, pray for me too :joecool:

PhuturePriest

Well you have a tag team, so I wouldn't feel too hurt about it. From my perspective the attitudes and views often expressed here are far worse, but obviously nobody points it out because they probably agree with the undercurrent (or can't be bothered to argue). I try to be as restrained as I can, considering I disagree strongly with the sentiments and comments made about the issues (and about me for saying otherwise at times). But I could be better, and I know it. Prayers for you, pray for me too :joecool:

I'm going to one-up you and light a candle at church, saying a Rosary in Latin. The only way it could possibly get more pre-Vatican II is if Pope Saint Pius X himself said it with me.

I'm going to one-up you and light a candle at church, saying a Rosary in Latin. The only way it could possibly get more pre-Vatican II is if Pope Saint Pius X himself said it with me.

Yeah, it sounds ever so pre-VII, but you forgot to mention that you are meditating on the luminous mysteries while dancing to Marty Haugen through a pagan labyrinth. :|

PhuturePriest

Yeah, it sounds ever so pre-VII, but you forgot to mention that you are meditating on the luminous mysteries while dancing to Marty Haugen through a pagan labyrinth. :|

The Luminous Mysteries are in light of tradition, and I don't even know who Marty Haugen is. :|

I'm going to recite the Monastic psalter to one-up you.  You can't get more pre-Vatican II than that.  And I'll recite the rosary in its original form, before those pesky Dominicans started adding to the Ave.  And I'll use stones gathered in my pocket. #prevaticaniicatholic