An Old School Catholic Message Board

5 Ways to Help People Struggling with Gender Dysphoria

veritasluxmea

​What? No, there are two groups: Dignity, and Courage. Dignity is not in line with Church teaching. Courage is.

​Ok, I still dont get the context. Two groups of what? Websites, catholics, transexuals? 

Sex is biological. Gender is about social expectations such as "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" that change from time to time and culture to culture. I don't think there is anything heterodox about recognising that. I also think that if more people did recognise it, fewer people would conflate sex with gender to the point where they feel that a little boy who likes to play with dolls must really be trans, as opposed to just being a little boy who likes to play with dolls.

​Thanks for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble.

These two things are not interchangeable. But they get flopped all the time as if they were exact synonyms.

Not helpful for Truth...

PhuturePriest

​Ok, I still dont get the context. Two groups of what? Websites, catholics, transexuals? 

​The websites. Courage is a Church-approved apostolate and does not contradict Church teaching, whereas Dignity is not Church-approved because it directly contradicts Church teaching. They are two completely different apostolates and have no relation with each other.

Well how was I supposed to know that the word Courage meant a website? Thank you for clarifying. No one even bothered to over a hyperlink? Making me work tonight.

franciscanheart

Pleeeaaaseee let's not get into the Courage debate. I don't like Dignity, but I also don't like Courage. Personal experiences with members of Courage have strongly affected my opinion of the organization. That, among other things, makes me nervous to even talk about it, since many who will promote it have no experience with it whatsoever.

franciscanheart

Dignity is not particularly in line with Church teaching. Courage is more orthodox last I heard. 

​Courage doesn't support changing Church teaching. It's merit should not be placed solely on its refusal to oppose Church teaching, however. There is much the Church has not addressed specifically (and probably shouldn't -- at least not yet) that Courage may push or encourage without implicitly stating it.

Nihil Obstat

If there are better groups around I am all ears. I have no experience with Courage besides what I have read of them.

Of course there are better groups...they just might not be Catholic. Courage might be the the big fish in its little pond of Catholic approved resources though.

Nihil Obstat

Of course there are better groups...they just might not be Catholic. Courage might be the the big fish in its little pond of Catholic approved resources though.

If a group teaches anything contrary to Catholic doctrine then I consider it radically inferior.

franciscanheart

If a group teaches anything contrary to Catholic doctrine then I consider it radically inferior.

​And yet you support an organization with whom you have no experience. This makes perfect sense.

Nihil Obstat

​And yet you support an organization with whom you have no experience. This makes perfect sense.

I believe what I said was that from what I have read of them they are in line with Church teaching. That part is a sine qua non. If there are better groups which are also in line with Church teaching I would love to hear of them.

franciscanheart

I believe what I said was that from what I have read of them they are in line with Church teaching. That part is a sine qua non. If there are better groups which are also in line with Church teaching I would love to hear of them.

​I don't think I ever disagreed with holding firm to withholding support from groups who are not in line with Church teaching. However, I think it's silly to support or encourage or endorse a group with whom you have no experience. I'm sure there are plenty others (I know of one locally that is a sort of child of Courage participation and so gets even less of my respect) but none which seem to carry the awareness that Courage carries. The sad part is, I don't think Courage does the best a group like that could do, and so many support it blindly because it's the only one they know of.

That said, I think this could easily devolve into how to best care for homosexual persons in the Church and well, we know how that goes.