An Old School Catholic Message Board

5 Ways to Help People Struggling with Gender Dysphoria

veritasluxmea

franciscanheart

​I take that seriously and this thread quickly became unhelpful and seeemingly pointless and valueless in the greater scheme of things.

​I, too, know someone who suffered disphoria (and still struggles with it a bit, though it's less after surgery). Maybe that changes things a little bit?

I do not like the word dysphoria at all. That makes it seem like what they are experiencing isnt real or that their feelings are wrong. 

Im trying to find the study I read the other day that showed how different gene expression was able to change the apparent gender behavior of lab mice. Modifying the epigenome to express male specific genes more readily cause female mice to act as males. To me this shows that they are not just confused, that is how their brain is wired. 

I can already predict arguments surrounding this, but I found it interesting. I need to find the article though.

Please just let it die.

Or kill it with ponies.

Either would be fine.

​Your wish is my command. 

480px-86513_-_Kingdom_Hearts_artist_akil

29253.png

cmc_by_ikillyou121-d5mbhok.gif

On a more serious, non-pony related note, I agree with the statements that the suggestions in this thread apply equally well w/ depression. Also, while I've seen the depression list before, it's always good to see it again. Very good suggestions. 

franciscanheart

On a more serious, non-pony related note, I agree with the statements that the suggestions in this thread apply equally well w/ depression. Also, while I've seen the depression list before, it's always good to see it again. Very good suggestions. 

​And seasonal depression is real. And spring is here. :ohno:

franciscanheart

I want a milkshake!

You know, the thread would die faster if you'd stop trying to derail it by posting in it. Plus, you're being rude.

Anastasia13

​I, too, know someone who suffered disphoria (and still struggles with it a bit, though it's less after surgery). Maybe that changes things a little bit?

Actually, that changes nothing, but I am glad the discussion with Nihil has changed. 

Would you mind discussing how you responded to the surgery, interest in opposite gender fashion and the like would. How did you respond? Did you discuss makeup or mention stores that sell men's clothing that someone else shops at? Did you stay on the sidelines of those discussions but stick around to be a friend in other ways and why? Or did you meet after the surgery?

Edited by Light and Truth

franciscanheart

Actually, that changes nothing, but I am glad the discussion with Nihil has changed. 

Would you mind discussing how you responded to the surgery, interest in opposite gender fashion and the like would. How did you respond? Did you discuss makeup or mention stores that sell men's clothing that someone else shops at? Did you stay on the sidelines of those discussions but stick around to be a friend in other ways and why? Or did you meet after the surgery?

​I met him after his surgery. I didn't know about it for several months after meeting, which was several months post-op. I was as kind and loving as I would have been with anyone else. I stayed pretty sidelined about most of it. We talked about normal things -- his dogs, his job at a pharmacy, school (where we met). I wasn't too interested in ascertaining details about his journey with surgery and the like; I was just a normal friend. We're still in touch, though not as much as we used to be. We don't have classes together anymore and life took us in different directions, but I still consider him a friend.