An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Liberal Arts Degrees Worth It?

PhuturePriest

Are liberal arts degrees worth it despite the cost?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

There really should be more Catholics involved in philosophy these days - most modern philosophers are pretty dogmatically secular, and the ones that aren't tend to be Protestants or other persuasions.

More people like Alasdair MacIntyre. And Alice von Hildebrand! 

PhuturePriest

Well that's the thing with some of these degrees, it's go big or go home. 

I realize theology is tied to your discernment, but suppose you discern you don't have a religious vocation, which most discerners come to this conclusion btw. What besides teaching will you do with a masters in Catholic theology. Priesthood or teaching is pretty much it. Or there's always military service, which officers require a bachelors in any subject. 

​That shows a deep lack of understanding on your part of what you can do with theology degrees. My majoring in theology is not in any way tied to my discernment. If I were picking a major because it's tied to my discernment, I would choose philosophy. I'm choosing theology specifically because of what I feel called to do if I am called to be a layperson, which is to work in apologetics, of which there are limitless options to go into. You may not be aware of them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

PhuturePriest

Learn to weld.

​I'll weld your fingers together so that you can never tell me to weld again. :|

PhuturePriest

​You mean his lips?

​No, because he's not talking, he's typing, and as I've never met him I don't have to worry about listening to his jazz in person. Though I would probably be too distracted by his buff arms and stickly legs to actually pay attention. :|

​I'll weld your fingers together so that you can never tell me to weld again. :|

​Take a number, kid. 

PhuturePriest

Looks like you will have your work cut out for you. 5000 votes in the learn to weld column.

​Indeed. Who knew there were even five thousand Phatmassers?

​That shows a deep lack of understanding on your part of what you can do with theology degrees. My majoring in theology is not in any way tied to my discernment. If I were picking a major because it's tied to my discernment, I would choose philosophy. I'm choosing theology specifically because of what I feel called to do if I am called to be a layperson, which is to work in apologetics, of which there are limitless options to go into. You may not be aware of them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Hmmm mm I think you may be slightly over estimating the job opportunities in apologetics, ministry, etc. Limitless is not the adjective I would use. 

Keep in mind that many bozos are doing apologetics on the Internet and such, for free. Or doing youth ministry etc on a part time or volunteer basis.

This is the advice I was given when majoring in journalism, be wary of going into a field where somebody else is giving the product away (blogs etc) not that I listened. But I also worked only 1 journalism job before I realized the wisdom of that advice.  

I dont mean to discourage you its just that very few freshmen college students look at this from a realistic angle.

Here's a good exercise, pretend you're a senior getting ready to graduate, do a job search as though you were looking. How would you conduct such a search? How many jobs are you finding? Are you willing to move where the jobs are listed? Do they mention full time or living wage? Pick 2-3 favorite opportunities and read the candidate descriptions in the listings. What can you do in the next 4 years to meet and exceed those qualifications?

Edited by Maggyie

Spem in alium

I was initially planning to study to be a teacher, but about two weeks before I had to submit my uni application I decided to change to straight Arts. I graduated an English major, with a double minor in History and Theology, and a couple of Philosophy subjects also, and I'm now doing postgrad History/Theology studies. I look back on my choice now, and I definitely wouldn't have done it differently. At least where I am, people joke a lot about Arts students being "unemployable", but I really think it really comes down to what you make it. Follow where your heart and where God draws you, because if you don't. you may seriously regret it. 

Nihil Obstat

Overall, I'm really surprised more people didn't pick the "it depends" answer.

​Of the 18 people that responded, 13 of them said "it depends". I may be one of those fluffy econ students, but I think that proportion looks solid. :proud: 

tinytherese

I agree with Maggyie. It isn't realistic to make a living as an apologist. It would have to be something that you volunteer to do or you'd need to be a freelance author. (It takes a lot of time to put even one book together and you get little money for getting a book published.) 

Edited by tinytherese

​Of the 18 people that responded, 13 of them said "it depends". I may be one of those fluffy econ students, but I think that proportion looks solid. :proud: 

​5,018.