An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Liberal Arts Degrees Worth It?

PhuturePriest

Are liberal arts degrees worth it despite the cost?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

I agree with Maggyie. It isn't realistic to make a living as an apologist. It would have to be something that you volunteer to do or you'd need to be a freelance author. (It takes a lot of time to put even one book together and you get little money for getting a book published.) 

​This thread isn't about the realism of this, it's about college. I have thought all these things through, and I have spoken to actual apologists, who know much more about this than any of you do. I appreciate the concern, but please discontinue telling me how unrealistic my plans are when you have no clue how the field actually works.

"antiracism" is one of Satan's lies? Really?

:huh:

I said 'antiracism', not antiracism. I mean a particular form of opposition to racism, in which nearly every utterance in Western historical sources/parliaments/courts/whatever place men traditionally dominate, is interpreted as 'agression' aimed at preserving the purity of the White race and damaging the interests of the Black race *cough* 'African-American community'. 

The underlying assumption here is that people act only out of a self-interest and Will to Power, and that there can be no pure striving towards the Good, the Beautiful, and the True. It need not be said that this closes a student's mind to the truths of the Catholic Faith (or Greek philosophy or anything of intellectual value.)

Of course there's a another, valid form of antiracism, preached by the Catholic Church (Pius XI or XII, if I remember correctly.)

​Anarchists cannot vote in the sovereign state of Nihil Obstatistan.

​This is the Dustatorship, though.

IgnatiusofLoyola

​This is the Dustatorship, though.

​He that does all the work and pays the bills when donations aren't enough gets to make the rules. :paco2:

PhuturePriest

I seceded to move to Rivendell. It's a lot nicer here, and better yet, welding doesn't exist.

veritasluxmea

Learn to weld.

​welding isn't going to get you *that* far in life tbh, especially if you don't own your own property and welding equipment. Which you need a real job to buy. 

Nihil Obstat

Friend of mine is a welder. Really good guy. He told me he wants to get out of it though, into something a bit less physically punishing.

veritasluxmea

My friend knew someone in the south who worked as a welder and farrier and he avoided taxes for years. Eventually he found a woman and wanted to get married but no Church (catholic or protestant) would let them because he wouldn't apply for a state license because he didn't want to get in trouble for not paying his taxes. so they just moved in together. I guess he still hasn't paid his taxes. 

Not that that's relevant or anything. 

My friend knew someone in the south who worked as a welder and farrier and he avoided taxes for years. Eventually he found a woman and wanted to get married but no Church (catholic or protestant) would let them because he wouldn't apply for a state license because he didn't want to get in trouble for not paying his taxes. so they just moved in together. I guess he still hasn't paid his taxes. 

Not that that's relevant or anything. 

It is morally repugnant that the Church wants permission from the state to perform a sacrament. Catholic marriages should occur before the government permission slip is issued. It would also be nice if the priests always mentioned that the only reason to get a license is to possibly get some tax breaks and thus deny the murder machine that is the government of some small amount of money.

No, I seceded. It is the right of every individual. 

​That doesn't change the fact that here we vote. Do whatever you want with boring ass Rivendell, which is clearly an autocracy.