An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Liberal Arts Degrees Worth It?

PhuturePriest

Are liberal arts degrees worth it despite the cost?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​welding isn't going to get you *that* far in life tbh, especially if you don't own your own property and welding equipment. Which you need a real job to buy. 

What do you mean by "far in life"?

truthfinder

It is morally repugnant that the Church wants permission from the state to perform a sacrament. Catholic marriages should occur before the government permission slip is issued. It would also be nice if the priests always mentioned that the only reason to get a license is to possibly get some tax breaks and thus deny the murder machine that is the government of some small amount of money.

​This is one topic where the church certainly is 'stuck' in medieval thinking.  The church married people and the state recognized it.  Now the state allows groups to wed people.  The church was rightly concerned about marriage considering clandestine marriages as well as the later practices such as mariage a la guamine where the people practically declared themselves married (a glorified common-law wedding really).  The church is right though to demand that the state continues to recognize marriage - it is a building block of society. So then, where does that leave the church - with the ability for her priests to sign off on marriage licenses (or married by banns where it's still legal) or to completely separate itself from the state by making the couple go through the civil ceremony first and then the religious one later? 

​This is one topic where the church certainly is 'stuck' in medieval thinking.  The church married people and the state recognized it.  Now the state allows groups to wed people.  The church was rightly concerned about marriage considering clandestine marriages as well as the later practices such as mariage a la guamine where the people practically declared themselves married (a glorified common-law wedding really).  The church is right though to demand that the state continues to recognize marriage - it is a building block of society. So then, where does that leave the church - with the ability for her priests to sign off on marriage licenses (or married by banns where it's still legal) or to completely separate itself from the state by making the couple go through the civil ceremony first and then the religious one later? 

I think they should conduct marriages and ignore the state altogether. If people want to go get a license, fine, but the Church shouldn't be concerned at all with such dealings. The declarations of criminal syndicates shouldn't play into sacraments. 

PhuturePriest

​There are major issues this demand by the Church imposes. In Dodge City, there's a very high Mexican population, and a fair percentage of that population are not legal citizens. The diocese is in a bind because many of the parishioners are avoiding marriage altogether because they don't want to be exposed as illegal, and this poses obvious moral issues on behalf of those people forgoing marriage and shacking up.

PhuturePriest

​That doesn't change the fact that here we vote. Do whatever you want with boring ass Rivendell, which is clearly an autocracy.

​I'm fine with autocracy.

I don't understand: Why can't the Church just perform a marriage and leave the paperwork to the parties getting hitched? What would happen to the Church if She did such a thing? Is there seriously a law against a church performing a wedding without first notifying the guvament that it's about to happen? That cannot be...

truthfinder

​There are major issues this demand by the Church imposes. In Dodge City, there's a very high Mexican population, and a fair percentage of that population are not legal citizens. The diocese is in a bind because many of the parishioners are avoiding marriage altogether because they don't want to be exposed as illegal, and this poses obvious moral issues on behalf of those people forgoing marriage and shacking up.

​There is a way through canon law to conduct these marriages (without the state).  But these are exceptions.  

truthfinder

I don't understand: Why can't the Church just perform a marriage and leave the paperwork to the parties getting hitched? What would happen to the Church if She did such a thing? Is there seriously a law against a church performing a wedding without first notifying the guvament that it's about to happen? That cannot be...

​The church could absolutely do this - however, I'm thinking that the rationale is that all marriage she performs should be recognized by the state because marriage is inherently a public matter.  

HopefulHeart

PhuturePriest, I highly recommend looking at this book before you start college:  College Rules. It was a great help in figuring out the academic side of things, especially since I was used to the routine and flexibility of homeschooling. Even if your homeschooling experience was pretty rigorous, as mine was, I would still urge you to check out the book.

I know that was off topic, but just wanted to get it out there

Edited by HopefulHeart

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest, I highly recommend looking at this book before you start college:  College Rules. It was a great help in figuring out the academic side of things, especially since I was used to the routine and flexibility of homeschooling. Even if your homeschooling experience was pretty rigorous, as mine was, I would still urge you to check out the book.

I know that was off topic, but just wanted to get it out there

​Thanks very much. My homeschooling was far from rigorous, so I will definitely read this book. I'm sure it will be quite beneficial.

This is what will happen when you graduate with a lib arts degree.

But this is what happens when you read Tolstoy, Austen, Dante, and Dickens in the library with a blanket over your head.

Edited by Era Might

HopefulHeart

​Thanks very much. My homeschooling was far from rigorous, so I will definitely read this book. I'm sure it will be quite beneficial.

​Great, I hope it helps! I also recommend A Pocket Style Manual for details about writing papers and citing your sources. You might even be assigned to buy a copy as a part of your freshman composition class. The guide to different formats of citation is really helpful, since knowing how to cite your sources properly is a VERY important skill for college.

truthfinder

Although I echo the sentiment of HopefulHeart, every single department and university will typically have different citation and style requirement.  History is usually Chicago, English: MLA, others APA.  A good part of university is learning what contradictory demands every professor makes (I had one come up with his own citation style basically on a whim).  But perhaps the most important thing, if you're unclear about how to do citations and good university papers, ask either the prof or the TA, it will save you so much academic pain.