An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ireland Reff/ Marriage

superblue

Nihil Obstat

​somewhere around 2.45 million right? Anything else is heresy

Few. The gist was that it is few.

too bad that not even god's sacrifice on the cross could sway most of stubborn humanity. oh well i hope the saints pray for us the poor foolish deluded majority in hell. 

Edited by Kia ora

Nihil Obstat

too bad that not even god's sacrifice on the cross could sway most of stubborn humanity. oh well i hope the saints pray for us the poor foolish deluded majority in hell. 

The damned have no use for our prayers. 

that may be true. the damned have no use for your prayers. but lovers don't love because it's 'useful' to love. they love because they are loving people in character. doesn't matter if you tell them that their love won't bring a person around. it's just who they are.

god never gives up on us. hopefully the saints don't either.

Edited by Kia ora

PhuturePriest

Is there any proof, or even evidence, that anyone is in hell?

The New Testament, many accounts of the Saints, and Our Lady of Fatima, whom said most people go to hell.

Few. The gist was that it is few.

​That's depressing. It's a breeze trusting in God's mercy when nearly everyone around you that you know and love will writhe in hell for all eternity.

Almost everyone is going to burn forever in hell. God is good.

​Exactly.  As I understand it, no one is obliged to believe in apparitions, or all of the writings by the saints.  Many saints have made a lot of mistakes, including some recently sainted. No one is perfect, not even the saints.

The New Testament was written in Greek.  Jesus spoke in Aramaic.  Is it known what, in Aramaic was the exact meaning of the word "hell"  translated into Greek, then Latin, then English, actually meant?  Has anyone asked Israeli ancient Hebrew/Aramaic scholars regarding this?

The definition of qualifying for hell appears to involve knowing that a sin is mortal, freely assenting to it, committing it, and, to get into hell, dying before any sort of contrition.  I think that the concept of free assent is outmoded. One's "free will" is determined by one's genes, family background, and innumerable traumatic incidents, large and small, in one's lifetime. Almost everyone suffers from some sort of mental illness, illusion or delusion.

I find the preoccupation with the damned and hell on this forum disturbing.  My impression is that there are some phat folks to are comforted thinking about all those people in hell, burning forever, boyoboyoboy, am I glad that I'm not one of them because I go to confession everyday--or some such.

I observe that cardinals, bishops and the Pope don't talk much about hell nowadays. That doesn't mean they don't believe in it--they may, though I suspect that definitions vary--but they aren't talking about it.

Pope Francis is the one who said, "Who am I to judge?"

To posit that almost everyone is going to burn in hell forever suggests that God has failed.  I think that if God has infinite mercy, it will cover a lot of sins.

I think he said that few are chosen.  This may mean to represent vowed celibate religious, or his disciples, or apostles.  Or bishops.  I don't think it necessarily means saved. Once again one would have to consult the Aramaic.

Christ Himself says that few will be saved.

​Does it bother you at all then, that most of the people you know and presumably love will suffer eternally? How does one deal with that emotionally and mentally?

puellapaschalis

The handle on the door to hell is on the inside - or so I once heard it described.

That 'few will be saved', seen through this lens, implies that few wish for eternal happiness enough to take the necessary steps to get there - e.g. Baptism, a life of fidelity to Christ, His Church, and the Sacraments, etc.

Nihil Obstat

​Does it bother you at all then, that most of the people you know and presumably love will suffer eternally? How does one deal with that emotionally and mentally?

No. I am confident that God is just, therefore I am confident that nobody goes to hell who does not fully deserve it, and who does not choose it of their free will.